You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
EK 30-minute lecture exam scores
Started by dr.kicia
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Bio #6 = 12 (how was I suppose to know the formula to calculate the surface area of a sphere???)
is it just me or are these things sometimes impossible to finish in 30 min. Not to mention pretty hard to get double digit scores in.
is it just me or are these things sometimes impossible to finish in 30 min. Not to mention pretty hard to get double digit scores in.
I agree with you. They take long time and cause me to end up making some "educational" guesses toward the end. Physics is the worst for me.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just took Bio lecture 7 test and got 11. Immunology is tough.
I have to catch up on the Bio ones but yea the physics ones are killer
Thought I'd revive this:
Bio Chapter 1: 14 😀 and the one I missed is pretty iffy (# 4)
Bio Chapter 2: 10 - really need to study up on genetics
Bio Chapter 3: 14
Bio Chapter 4: 14
Bio Chapter 5: 14
Bio Chapter 6: 12
Bio Chapter 7: 12
Bio Chapter 1: 14 😀 and the one I missed is pretty iffy (# 4)
Bio Chapter 2: 10 - really need to study up on genetics
Bio Chapter 3: 14
Bio Chapter 4: 14
Bio Chapter 5: 14
Bio Chapter 6: 12
Bio Chapter 7: 12
Last edited:
Verbal:
1 - 8-9
2 - 12
Gen Chem:
1 - 11
Physics
1 - 10
Bio:
1- 12
Taking the chapter 2 tests tonight. The questions I miss seem to be largely a matter of my inability to read. No, but seriously. I should work on that.
1 - 8-9
2 - 12
Gen Chem:
1 - 11
Physics
1 - 10
Bio:
1- 12
Taking the chapter 2 tests tonight. The questions I miss seem to be largely a matter of my inability to read. No, but seriously. I should work on that.
I've taken the first 7 of those EK BIO in-class exams so far. I got 12s on each one of those 7 exams. Honestly I'm surprised with the consistency, I've either got 19 or 20 out of 23 on 7 straight exams...strange.
Exam 6 on excretory/digestive was killer. Seems like a physiology course would be really helpful for MCAT. I mean if you're gonna get passages on GFR, renal clearance and things, it would help A LOT for you to be familiar with it before reading the passage.
Exam 6 on excretory/digestive was killer. Seems like a physiology course would be really helpful for MCAT. I mean if you're gonna get passages on GFR, renal clearance and things, it would help A LOT for you to be familiar with it before reading the passage.
Bumping this.
EK Bio:
Lecture 1: 12 - stupid mistakes
Lecture 2: 9
- this was just hard
EK Bio:
Lecture 1: 12 - stupid mistakes
Lecture 2: 9
- this was just hardEK 30 min exams:
Physics 1: 8
Chemistry 1: 10
I need to study more that kinematics chapter...For some reason I have a hard time processing that chapter while most people are saying it is the easiest chapter in physics.
Physics 1: 8
Chemistry 1: 10
I need to study more that kinematics chapter...For some reason I have a hard time processing that chapter while most people are saying it is the easiest chapter in physics.
Last edited:
EK 30 min
Physics 1: 8
I need to study more that kinematics chapter...For some reason I have a hard time processing that chapter while most people are saying it is the easiest chapter in physics.
I'm not using EK Physics but I would also say some of the most complex/difficult problems are kinematics.
I'm not using EK Physics but I would also say some of the most complex/difficult problems are kinematics.
I am using TBR physics for content review but I am following the SNed 3/4 month study, which requires to do EK 1001 and EK 30 min exams.
I am using TBR physics for content review but I am following the SNed 3/4 month study, which requires to do EK 1001 and EK 30 min exams.
I'm following SN2ed as well and I do the EK 1001 Physics problems, but 30-minute exams for Physics aren't required.
I'm following SN2ed as well and I do the EK 1001 Physics problems, but 30-minute exams for Physics aren't required.
Are you sure?
Edit...You are correct...It's only EK bio 30 min exams that are required...
Are you sure?
Edit...You are correct...It's only EK bio 30 min exams that are required...
Don't get me wrong, if I had the other EK content books I would do them! But I'm not going to buy them just for that purpose.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lecture 3: 13 - Much better. 🙂Bumping this.
EK Bio:
Lecture 1: 12 - stupid mistakes
Lecture 2: 9- this was just hard
Finished the rest of the EK Bio exams. Ended up getting 12s on the first 8 lectures and 14 on lecture 9.
But I've been neglecting Ochem, kinda convinced myself that it barely shows up on the real MCAT. This was stupid of me because after taking a full length I realize its impossible to break a 12on BS if you're not good at Ochem. So I started the EK Ochem exams today and got murked lol 13/23 for a 7. Gotta find some better material for Ochem, all EK does for ochem is give you an outline. And when I took Ochem in school, I'd just cram a few days before the test and forgot like 80% of what I knew.
But I've been neglecting Ochem, kinda convinced myself that it barely shows up on the real MCAT. This was stupid of me because after taking a full length I realize its impossible to break a 12on BS if you're not good at Ochem. So I started the EK Ochem exams today and got murked lol 13/23 for a 7. Gotta find some better material for Ochem, all EK does for ochem is give you an outline. And when I took Ochem in school, I'd just cram a few days before the test and forgot like 80% of what I knew.
Finished the rest of the EK Bio exams. Ended up getting 12s on the first 8 lectures and 14 on lecture 9.
But I've been neglecting Ochem, kinda convinced myself that it barely shows up on the real MCAT. This was stupid of me because after taking a full length I realize its impossible to break a 12on BS if you're not good at Ochem. So I started the EK Ochem exams today and got murked lol 13/23 for a 7. Gotta find some better material for Ochem, all EK does for ochem is give you an outline. And when I took Ochem in school, I'd just cram a few days before the test and forgot like 80% of what I knew.
Chad's videos ochem is comprehensive and outstanding
Sent from my SCH-I535 using SDN Mobile
There's no way I'm posting the verbal score I got today on here, no way lol
how are you guys calculating scores? i took lecture 1 from EK bio and got a 20/23 .. is that decent?
There is a scale below the answer key. I think this is a 12, which is great.
There is a scale below the answer key. I think this is a 12, which is great.
Oh I see.. That's great! Thanks
What ek books are the 30 minute tests on?
What ek books are the 30 minute tests on?
The EK content books.
Hey guys. New here, but I've been following this thread as an unregistered user.
First, I love how EK shows you what's necessary knowledge for the MCAT. TBR is super detailed, especially for biology, but I get their idea - the more background you know, the more comfortable you may be with a given passage. The only problem I have so far is that (in my opinion) passages in TBR only loosely resemble those in EK. With EK, answers can be deduced from information given in the passage, whereas with TBR I find questions answerable without reading the passage at all.
Here's my results so far:
EK Biology
1 - 13
2 - 12
3 - 11
4 - 12
6 - 12
7 - 14
EK Chemistry
1 - 12
2 - 10
4 - 10
The 30 minute exams are definitely challenging, especially for general chemistry. I don't intend on taking anymore exams until I feel completely confident with the material beforehand.
First, I love how EK shows you what's necessary knowledge for the MCAT. TBR is super detailed, especially for biology, but I get their idea - the more background you know, the more comfortable you may be with a given passage. The only problem I have so far is that (in my opinion) passages in TBR only loosely resemble those in EK. With EK, answers can be deduced from information given in the passage, whereas with TBR I find questions answerable without reading the passage at all.
Here's my results so far:
EK Biology
1 - 13
2 - 12
3 - 11
4 - 12
6 - 12
7 - 14
EK Chemistry
1 - 12
2 - 10
4 - 10
The 30 minute exams are definitely challenging, especially for general chemistry. I don't intend on taking anymore exams until I feel completely confident with the material beforehand.
Do you guys review a lot before taking these? I mean, I'll post my scores, but they are by no means good. I'd love some tips for improvement, but honestly I take them without being confident as a way to make myself work more later xD
Bio #1 - 11
Bio #2 - 8
Bio #3 - 8 (I think I only got one right on the first passage lol)
I think I'm scoring somewhere around 50-60% on TBR Bio, but honestly I have no clue what's going on in those passages.
Bio #1 - 11
Bio #2 - 8
Bio #3 - 8 (I think I only got one right on the first passage lol)
I think I'm scoring somewhere around 50-60% on TBR Bio, but honestly I have no clue what's going on in those passages.
Do you guys review a lot before taking these? I mean, I'll post my scores, but they are by no means good. I'd love some tips for improvement, but honestly I take them without being confident as a way to make myself work more later xD
Bio #1 - 11
Bio #2 - 8
Bio #3 - 8 (I think I only got one right on the first passage lol)
I think I'm scoring somewhere around 50-60% on TBR Bio, but honestly I have no clue what's going on in those passages.
For biology at least (since that's what I've done the most so far), I generally read EK first so that I know what's emphasized. If there's anything I need clarification on or more information about, I crack open my textbook or TBR. The moment I feel confident with the material in lecture, I take the exam.
EK Bio:
Lecture 1: 12 - stupid mistakes
Lecture 2: 9 - this was just hard
Lecture 3: 13 - Much better. 🙂
Lecture 4: 14 - Yeah! I think I'm getting the hang of this.
Lecture 4: 14 - Yeah! I think I'm getting the hang of this.
Nice! Is biology the only thing you're working on right now?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nice! Is biology the only thing you're working on right now?
As far as the EK books go, yes. I'm using TBR for all other subjects. So unfortunately, I won't be taking the 30-minute exams for any of the other sections.
As far as the EK books go, yes. I'm using TBR for all other subjects. So unfortunately, I won't be taking the 30-minute exams for any of the other sections.
Same. I began using EK for chemistry then realized an abridged approach to the physical sciences probably wouldn't be enough. I now read EK (so that I know what's important), color in the detail with TBR, then do passages from each.
The semester started today so I'm expecting my pace to decelerate significantly 👎.
Not so happy anymore. I have serious work to do. The third passage was definitely the easiest to read, yet I got most of those questions wrong.
EK Verbal (not 101):
1 - 9
Anyone else doing the 30-min exams for VR?
I wasn't aware that such exams exist. Are the passages taken out of the 101 book, or are they entirely different?
I wasn't aware that such exams exist. Are the passages taken out of the 101 book, or are they entirely different?
There are 3 30 minute exams in the EK Verbal & Math Techniques book.
Not so happy anymore. I have serious work to do. The third passage was definitely the easiest to read, yet I got most of those questions wrong.
EK Verbal (not 101):
1 - 9
Anyone else doing the 30-min exams for VR?
I did the first two and got 8's on them. I've heard these 30 minute EK exams are pretty difficult and I wouldn't worry about scaling your score to the MCAT score. Use your practice tests for that. Also, the scaling of the score is out of 23 questions when there are what..21 questions? So who knows how the hell they jacked that up.
Lecture 4: 14 - Yeah! I think I'm getting the hang of this.
There is most definitely a strategy to the 30 minute exam questions. I was simply trying to muscle through them and got like 7-8's on the first 3. Test 5 killed me, but every other one I was any where from a 10-12. You start to pick up their method and you can easily get above 10 after 2 or 3 reviews and review of the in lecture problems. I can't speak for the other subjects, I'm just doing bio and verbal right now.
EK Bio:
Lecture 1: 12 - stupid mistakes
Lecture 2: 9 - this was just hard
Lecture 3: 13 - Much better.
Lecture 4: 14 - Yeah! I think I'm getting the hang of this.
Lecture 5: 13 - One fact I didn't know and one error in reasoning / focus on wording.
Update:
Should've had a 14 on the first physics lecture, but I misread the second to last question. Good day though – got a 14 on the TBR translational motion chapter. I have to be honest, the explanations EK gives for some of their answers are pretty lackluster, especially when compared against TBR exams.
Here's my results so far:
EK Biology
1 - 13
2 - 12
3 - 11
4 - 12
6 - 12
7 - 14
EK Chemistry
1 - 12
2 - 10
4 - 10
5 - 15
EK Physics
1 - 13
EK Verbal:
1 - 9
Should've had a 14 on the first physics lecture, but I misread the second to last question. Good day though – got a 14 on the TBR translational motion chapter. I have to be honest, the explanations EK gives for some of their answers are pretty lackluster, especially when compared against TBR exams.
Bio
1 - 12
2 - 11
Anyone else need way less than 30 minutes to finish these? I'm usually done in 20 and wondering if I should slow myself down on Bio. Then again, on TBR passages I feel unbelievably rushed sometimes.
I was finishing the Ochem ones in around 15-18 minutes and getting 10-12. The Bio ones I was at about 25 minutes. Verbal...easily 29:59 haha.
Not so happy anymore. I have serious work to do. The third passage was definitely the easiest to read, yet I got most of those questions wrong.
EK Verbal (not 101):
1 - 9
Anyone else doing the 30-min exams for VR?
I just did the first one.... Most of the questions I missed were on the third passage as well, which the reading is/was the easiest to comprehend. 6/7... 5/7.... 3/7.
1 - 8
Last edited:
I did the first two and got 8's on them. I've heard these 30 minute EK exams are pretty difficult and I wouldn't worry about scaling your score to the MCAT score. Use your practice tests for that. Also, the scaling of the score is out of 23 questions when there are what..21 questions? So who knows how the hell they jacked that up.
Wow...I just noticed that. However, I think the scale is fair (to some extent). For instance, I got 14/21 (8) on the first exam...This is 66.66%. If you mutiply that by 40 (0.66666667x40), it's like 26.66 (~27) out of 40. On most, if not all the AAMC VR scale, it's is also an 8. Obviously, the scaling will not be fair to someone who got anything from 19 to 21.
Last edited:
Wow...I just noticed that. However, I think the scale is fair (to some extent). For instance, I got 14/21 (8) on the first exam...This is 66.66%. If you mutiply that by 40 (0.66666667x40), it's like 26.66 (~27) out of 40. On most, if not all the AAMC VR scale, it's is also an 8. Obviously, the scaling will not be fair to someone who got anything from 19 to 21.
Just noticed it myself a couple days ago. I guess the idea is that it doesn't matter how accurate their scale is. Like they mention in the begging of each EK book, their books are for educational purposes only and shouldn't be viewed as predictors of actual MCAT performance.
It still hurts to see a 9 though.
Update:
Not sure if I actually got an 11 on the second VR exam. I got 4 wrong. Regardless, I'm hoping my score shoots up significantly once I begin TPR and EK 101 next week. Right now I'm just trying to get my sciences down.
Here's my results so far:
EK Biology
1 - 13
2 - 12
3 - 11
4 - 12
6 - 12
7 - 14
EK Chemistry
1 - 12
2 - 10
4 - 10
5 - 15
EK Physics
1 - 13
EK Verbal (not 101):
1 - 9
2 - 11
Not sure if I actually got an 11 on the second VR exam. I got 4 wrong. Regardless, I'm hoping my score shoots up significantly once I begin TPR and EK 101 next week. Right now I'm just trying to get my sciences down.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
30-minute VR.
1- 8
2- 6
3- 5
I am having major issue with VR and I feel like giving up at this point.
1- 8
2- 6
3- 5
I am having major issue with VR and I feel like giving up at this point.
30-minute VR.
1- 8
2- 6
3- 5
I am having major issue with VR and I feel like giving up at this point.
Don't! I struggled mightily with VR when I first started and, although it was incredibly discouraging and I *still* haven't quite gotten the hang of it, I'm seeing great improvements. I'm sure the same will happen for you in time. Besides, the 30-minute EKs are designed to be very difficult, so don't give up! Learn from your mistakes and try to improve your reading comprehension.
The EK verbal scale is all over the place. I recommend sticking with EK 101 (scored high 90th percentile on verbal.) When I needed more, I went with TPRH sw. To me the EK verbal workbook scale is not at a good indication of actual performance.
Sent from my SCH-I535 using SDN Mobile
Sent from my SCH-I535 using SDN Mobile
Second update:
Killed acids and bases!
Update:
EK Inorganic Chemistry
3 - 11
6 - 14
I'm starting to hate that there's only 23 questions.
Killed acids and bases!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 19
- Views
- 16K