EK Course really effective?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dawndriv

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've taken Kaplan 2x. I actually like Kaplan's stuff but recently heard that EK is much better. The prior two times I took the MCAT I did not do that well. I don't believe there is a miracle solution out there but would like to hear from anyone that has possibly taken both courses. Is it worth paying another $1100 for the EK course? I've compared the EK and Kaplan books side by side and I actually still think Kaplan does just a good a job. Can anyone give me good EK feedback? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My experience with EK so far is that they really test your understanding of concepts. I cant compare it to anything else except my undergrad, and let me tell you, I am learning about things that were only glossed over in some of my classes. The 1001 series is good cuz it allows for the repetition of problem solving.

Are you taking the EK course? It seems so condensed. I wish they started the course earlier. I work full-time so it's going to be hard to be going to lectures 2X/wk with full-lengths and review sessions every other weekend. Leaves very little time to actually study the material.

the ek course is better than the kaplan course i have taken both its much more personal there are fewer people and the testing and prep is more intense plus you take 5 full lengths over the length of the course with full review the next day not just 5 full lengths over one week leading to the test. Not to merntion their material is much better. Its up to you their course is expensive you need to ask yourself if its worth the money or if you would do better saving.

Members don't see this ad :)
hmm. but with kaplan you don't take all the full lengths the last week either. you take them the last 5 weeks leading up to the exam. i assume you took the kaplan course first...did you see impovement in your score after taking EK? or did you just feel like the course helped improve your knowledge. lastly, were you taking a full load while taking the EK course? Class twice a week seems really difficult when your working full-time.

Originally posted by dawndriv
hmm. but with kaplan you don't take all the full lengths the last week either. you take them the last 5 weeks leading up to the exam. i assume you took the kaplan course first...did you see impovement in your score after taking EK? or did you just feel like the course helped improve your knowledge. lastly, were you taking a full load while taking the EK course? Class twice a week seems really difficult when your working full-time.

I took the EK course while preparing for the april mcat. I have also taken Princeton Review when I took the august '02 MCAT.
I can't so for sure if the Ek course was worth it until I get my scores in june, but I was more than satisfied with the instruction I received; didn't felt I was getting nowhere when I was taking TPR in the summer.

My instructor for Ek Gchem/Physics was the author of the books, Jon Orsay. If you do take the EK course I would highly recommend you try to take it where he is teaching. He's is an excellent teacher, plus he makes everything very clear. The other instructors they have are above average. Also if they really suck, as was the case with my first instructor, they will be replaced immediately.

Kaplan does offer those five tests at the end. However, they don't give AAMC exams and they also don't go over the exams. Ek does both of these things. Reviewing the exam with someone who has been teaching MCAT for a while gives you whole new prespective on the test. After reviews which were conducted by Jordan Zartesky, one of the other authors, I felt a lot more confident in my abilities. I never felt like this during the time I was taking princeton review.

One last thing if you haven't looked at any of the material in more than a year or so. I would recommend that you go over some parts which you know you are weak in ahead of time if you decide to take the class, since the classes can go by very fast.

Anyway if you can't afford taking the course, you should get all the Ek 4th Ed. books, maybe the 1001's physics and Gchem. Don't get the Ochem 1001, its not worth it. Also try to get Ek 101 Verbal. Buy a bunch of tests, AAMC, kaplan, princeton reivew from ebay. After a both or so of intense studying you should start practicing on a regular basis and going over the tests yourself.

My instructor for Ek Gchem/Physics was the author of the books, Jon Orsay. If you do take the EK course I would highly recommend you try to take it where he is teaching. He's is an excellent teacher, plus he makes everything very clear. The other instructors they have are above average. Also if they really suck, as was the case with my first instructor, they will be replaced immediately.

Wonderboy, which location does Jon and Jordan teach at? I go to Rutgers so I'm hoping that they teach at that location or near there but I couldn't find anything on their website about it.

I"m sure if you call their office they would let you know...I think Orsay is almost always at Columbia part of the time

BDF

Originally posted by silent
Wonderboy, which location does Jon and Jordan teach at? I go to Rutgers so I'm hoping that they teach at that location or near there but I couldn't find anything on their website about it.

I had class at Adelphi. Not sure if Jon is going to teach there, call the offics and ask where Jon & even Jordan teach. They are both great, I had Jordan for test reviews.

good luck

They actually ask you to rate your teachers every week you take an exam, so it seems like EK keeps track of their instructors (it must be easier to do, since they are a smaller company).

I felt that EK was easier to study for the busy student. I took the April MCATS so I had classes going on and didn't have time to go through all the stuff that was in the Kaplan books. EK gives you less material, and you really have to understand and remember it well, but its a lot more effective than memorize all the stuff in Kaplan books.

It really depends on what kind of learner you are. EK books spend a lot of time on concepts and the big picture. Some people would say that their books were too simple and didn't contain enough material. For me, I learn better when looking at the big picture so I felt like their course was a lot better for me.