EK for Content Review, TBR for Passages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FCBarcelona

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I'm a non-trad, full-time worker. I have to take the MCAT some time in May or June of next year (2013). I have both the full TBR set and the full EK set. I was initially planning on doing all of my content review with TBR but after working eight hours every Monday to Friday, I can only squeeze in about two or three hours of studying on weeknights, maybe a bit more on weekends. Seeing as how long many of the TBR chapters are, I was thinking of relying on EK for content review. But I have read enough of the threads here to not discount the TBR passages. Do you think that would work? Going through EK for content review and relying on TBR for the passages? Or is part of the TBR magic found in its content review?
 
I'm using both.

First off, I love EK. TBR gets crazy praise on this board, and rightly so. However, I think TBR is gold just because of the passages. The chapters are dense, boring, and for the most part take more time than what I think is necessary. With that said, many people, and I mean tons of them, have success with TBR. I'm a firm believer with going with what you're comfortable with. Set a plan, make the necessary adjustments, and STICK to it.

What I'm going to do is spend 30 days and finish the entire EK series. I'm going to do one chapter per day and do the corresponding 30 minute exam later that evening. Once I'm finished with EK, then I'm going to go through all of the TBR books, but at a faster rate than most. I'm planning on starting studying September 1st, and taking the late January administration. I'm also taking 17 credits and work 25-30 hours per week.

I will say, though, that I studied all summer so most of the content will be very fresh for me. I'm sitting and voiding tomorrows test, as my practice scores weren't good.

My plan of attack is to know the content cold, in every section. I want to eliminate weak spots as early as possible. Then I'll perfect my strategy and stamina through full lengths.

TL;DR: I think your plan will work fine if you are familiar with some of the content. Just don't get down on yourself when you're scoring 30% on TBR bio passages (they're really hard, and seemingly often outside the scope of EK.). If you have a lot of weak areas EK might be too concise for you.
 
Last edited:
I would use TBR for content for PS. EK doesn't cut it imho.

EK content for BS should be adequate with TBR passages, but I'd still look at some orgo in TBR.