EK verbal Difficulty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fireandice9898

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I been taking some of the practice tests over the past couple of weeks. The thing is suddenly today my scored deviated strongly from the rest of my exam scores. Before I was hitting pretty consistent 10s and my score dropped 2 points today. Im not exactly sure what I did different. Does anyone know how the Exam Krackers 101 Passages is in comparison to the actual mcat? Today's test has kind of thrown me off balance with the VR section!

Members don't see this ad.

I dunno but i consistently score 8-10 on EK but 11-13 range on AAMC practice :confused: I believe that some of EK's questions/answers choices are a little out there so i tend to miss a few more on the VR101. Have you taken any AAMC tests? I wouldn't sweat the deviation if you are consistently in the 10 range on the AAMC's.

I haven't taken any AAMC tests yet. My test date is on September 12th. I plan to take my first AAMC test this week to see where I am. The reason I got so worried was basically because this was the lowest score I've received on any of the exams for EK 101. I wasn't sure how much they reflect AAMC exams.

I haven't taken any AAMC tests yet. My test date is on September 12th. I plan to take my first AAMC test this week to see where I am. The reason I got so worried was basically because this was the lowest score I've received on any of the exams for EK 101. I wasn't sure how much they reflect AAMC exams.
IMO the primary reason to do EK is to establish a pace and pattern recognition within verbal passages. Verbal isn't rocket science, its repetition. I take my test Sept 10 and have followed recent test threads and have found that the verbal fluctuates from test to test (real shocker) and the AAMC is more representative of your real test scores. However dont fall into the trap of only doing the EK verbal in passage blocks ..IE.. 3 passages and then review...bc you will get smoked when the 60 game day timer is on. Dont get me wrong, i think its necessary and beneficial to take the time to critique, analyze, and develop a method for VR while using EK but this pregame stuff should be supplemented with mock runs on the AAMC exams. You'll do fine... you had a bad test...no big deal. I wouldn't wait much longer to jump onto the practice test portion of your prep bc it has been the general consensus that all AAMC test should be taken. (if you can afford it..i know i'm strapped for cash this summer!:laugh:) I think its safe to say that the more practice problems you can get your eyes on the better!!! GL:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks a lot!

Just as a side question. How long was it till people saw improvement in their verbal scores using EK 101 passages?

thanks a lot!

Just as a side question. How long was it till people saw improvement in their verbal scores using EK 101 passages?
You should see a strong spike in you EK scores after ab two tests....it kinda just clicks and then you work on fine tuning your skills. For instance i was scoring massive 6-7 range when i first started. Now when i approach a passage set i know what to look for and predict questions that are usually asked. As I've stated now I'm scoring 11-13 range..which if i can reproduce on the real thing I'm :)

significantly "suckier"...:laugh: IMO its a joke...way to straight forward.

What test # in EK did you do worse on? They are definitely not all equal.

I have a theory about EK VR 101... it goes a little like this. The first two tests THEY make hard so you score lower and then the next couple get easier and your score goes up... they the difficulty goes back up and so on. I think it's so you take the first couple and say "oh ****, I really need to practice" and then do more... as you start to see "improvements" it's just that the tests are getting easier. I don't know, maybe it's the conspiracy theorist in me coming out but I can say that the passages from exams 3 and 4 were much simpler to understand than the ones in the first two tests, at least in my opinion. I may have shot a hole in my own theory though because my last practice was significantly lower than my last few...
test 1 = 7
test 2= 8
test 3= 10
test 4= 11
test 5= 9

I thought the passages in test 5 were very hard to follow, but maybe I just wasn't in to it. I took it at the end of a 8 hr Physics study day so I might have been a little burnt out at the time... not sure.

What test # in EK did you do worse on? They are definitely not all equal.

I have a theory about EK VR 101... it goes a little like this. The first two tests THEY make hard so you score lower and then the next couple get easier and your score goes up... they the difficulty goes back up and so on. I think it's so you take the first couple and say "oh ****, I really need to practice" and then do more... as you start to see "improvements" it's just that the tests are getting easier. I don't know, maybe it's the conspiracy theorist in me coming out but I can say that the passages from exams 3 and 4 were much simpler to understand than the ones in the first two tests, at least in my opinion. I may have shot a hole in my own theory though because my last practice was significantly lower than my last few...
test 1 = 7
test 2= 8
test 3= 10
test 4= 11
test 5= 9

I thought the passages in test 5 were very hard to follow, but maybe I just wasn't in to it. I took it at the end of a 8 hr Physics study day so I might have been a little burnt out at the time... not sure.

I dunno..Like i said i sucked it up the first two then saw sig. improvement....you still in Iraq??? I was in Mosul 2007...yeah=hell....:laugh: Neway good luck, have you tried AAMC verbal. Much more clear IMO

I dunno..Like i said i sucked it up the first two then saw sig. improvement....you still in Iraq??? I was in Mosul 2007...yeah=hell....:laugh: Neway good luck, have you tried AAMC verbal. Much more clear IMO

Yup, still here... leave out on R&R on Monday and take the MCAT next Friday... happy vacation, LOL.

I did two AAMC's early on and did "eh" on them but haven't taken another shot at them yet. honestly, I'm kinda saving those. I've only been studying for the MCAT for about 3 or 4 weeks (decided WAY late to take it and this is my last chance this year) but I plan to study for 4 months and retake after the first of the year barring a miracle. I've already improved a lot so I think I'll be able to get a decent score but I need to have an MCAT on file to apply this year so that's why I'm doing it now rather than just waiting til Jan. Hopefully if I get a decent score now it will get my foot in the door and then I'll improve significantly once I've had time to really study everything.... twisted logic but it seems to be working for me so far..:rolleyes:

EK verbal is really playing tricks with me. Yesterday I took test 5 and thought I did terrible, I got a 10. However, today I took test 6, felt very confident about each answer, and thought it was my best yet; still got a 10. Quit playing games with me EK!