EK vs. TPR vs. TBR Verbal passages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dsh

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently preparing for the August MCAT and concentrating mainly on verbal--verbal has consistently been my lowest score on AAMC practice tests, and I figure I should concentrate on my weaknesses.

Anyways, I've been using TBR and EK's verbal books. I have a copy from a friend of TPR Verbal passages but I haven't had the chance to even glance at them. I probably have 300 passages or so in total, more than enough to last me until test day.

I've noticed that my scores on EK tests are 1-3 points lower than what's projected from the AAMC tests. I've also noticed that the TBR book seems to be increasing in difficulty--on the ones in the beginning I miss no questions on and on the ones in the end I miss half of them. Is this expected or is it just me? What type of trend is there in the TPR material? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

dsh said:
I'm currently preparing for the August MCAT and concentrating mainly on verbal--verbal has consistently been my lowest score on AAMC practice tests, and I figure I should concentrate on my weaknesses.

Anyways, I've been using TBR and EK's verbal books. I have a copy from a friend of TPR Verbal passages but I haven't had the chance to even glance at them. I probably have 300 passages or so in total, more than enough to last me until test day.

I've noticed that my scores on EK tests are 1-3 points lower than what's projected from the AAMC tests. I've also noticed that the TBR book seems to be increasing in difficulty--on the ones in the beginning I miss no questions on and on the ones in the end I miss half of them. Is this expected or is it just me? What type of trend is there in the TPR material? Thanks!

Sorry but what is TPR and TBR?

pezzang said:
Sorry but what is TPR and TBR?

TPR The Princeton Review TBR The Berkeley Review

TPR is a prominent test prep company as you probably know which prepares students for many tests. TBR on the other hand specializes only in MCAT preparation and is located in California. However, you can purchase their books through their web site. To the OP, just do a search. This topic has been discussed numerous times. I have done many searches and will give you a condensed version of what you want. The BR verbal passages are comparable to the real test but the test questions are not. They are too general. Their passages and exams are harder than the actual test so this might explain your difficulties. Mudd, an MCAT tutor who has looked at many books praised the TPR's verbal text. The PR Verbal workbook is good and the general consensus is that the passages are harder than the MCAT verbal. Most test prep passages/exams are known to be of greater difficulty. However, the best passages are the AAMC because all the other companies only attempt to capture the MCAT feel. Your troubles normal, those aformentioned passages are difficult but will give you good preparation. Good Luck.