EK1 C/P: elasticity = tension?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theonlytycrane

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Screen Shot 2016-07-13 at 5.31.14 PM.png

To me, decreasing elasticity means more tension. The membrane should get more stiff!

Members don't see this ad.

uhm... tension is a reactionary force. The ability of the material to withstand tensions has nothing to do with how much tension an object currently endures. Either the object can hold the tension or it cannot in which case, it will break!

I am not sure how the device can decrease the elasticity of the membrane. It can crosslink something which makes it stiffer like you said; OR it can disintegrate the inner structure of the membrane to make it more plastic and softer.

In my opinion, terrible question!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
View attachment 206281

To me, decreasing elasticity means more tension. The membrane should get more stiff!

Yes the membrane would get more stiff (inelastic). The basilar membrane is naturally less elastic near the high frequency range (start of the coil) and more elastic toward the low-frequency range (end of the coil). Therefore, if you decrease elasticity along the length of the membrane, it'll shift the hair cells' sensitivities to favor those in the low frequency range where the basilar membrane is the most elastic.

To be frank, it's a stupid question if it's discrete. I'm assuming it's passage-based? And if you don't mind me asking, where'd you find this question?

Therefore, if you decrease elasticity along the length of the membrane, it'll shift the hair cells' sensitivities to favor those in the low frequency range where the basilar membrane is the most elastic.

If we decrease elasticity along the length of the membrane, I keep thinking that the whole membrane gets more stiff -> favoring the higher frequency range like the basal end. Is my logic off?

To be frank, it's a stupid question if it's discrete. I'm assuming it's passage-based? And if you don't mind me asking, where'd you find this question?

It's in a passage, but is basically a discrete. It's from the first Exam Krackers test (EK1).

If we decrease elasticity along the length of the membrane, I keep thinking that the whole membrane gets more stiff -> favoring the higher frequency range like the basal end. Is my logic off?

The whole membrane will get stiffer, but the low frequency hair cells are situated farthest from the start of the coil where the basilar membrane is most elastic, and most inelastic at the start of the coil where the hair cells are detect high frequency. I think you're mixing up the frequency spectrum of the coil, sounds like you have it backwards.

20 kHz basal end (high freq detection and stiff) ---------------------------------------------- 20 Hz apical end (low freq detection and loose)

If we decrease the elasticity of the membrane, the whole thing gets more stiff. Are you thinking about this to mean that the super-stiff basal end doesn't work as well, favoring the apical end?

Ah ha. So after reading around a bit, I have confirmed my suspicion: elasticity has nothing to do with stiffness, much less tension.

Elasticity is an intensive property while stiffness is an extensive property.

Who writes these questions? lolzz

20 kHz basal end (high freq detection and stiff) ---------------------------------------------- 20 Hz apical end (low freq detection and loose)

If we decrease the elasticity of the membrane, the whole thing gets more stiff. Are you thinking about this to mean that the super-stiff basal end doesn't work as well, favoring the apical end?
Yes exactly. That's the logic I used for getting the correct answer. The answer explanation in the OP hints at that: "favoring low frequency"

Last edited:
????

I looked around for this question, and I found someone post on reddit that, basically, elasticity = tension. I'm confused by your responses.