EKG Interpretation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hated Dubin. It is too simple for me (in terms of the presentation of the material, NOT in terms of the material itself). I would recommend checking it out of your library before buying it, in case it doesn't do the job for you.

If you check out Amazon, a lot of people who didn't like Dubin recommend "The only EKG book you'll ever need", which I just ordered. I haven't gotten it yet, but I hope it's better than Dubin.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used Dubin and loved it...easy read, and covers all the material you'll need for Step 1. Plus it has great summary pages at the end that you can carry around with you on the wards.

Dubin= less expensive, very basic. So not bad if you know nothing and don't anticipate having to do a ton of ekg readings.

Garcia ("art of EKG interpretation') is one of the best. It is done in 'grades' from beginner to experienced, which is nice. you will rapidly become comfortable with EKG's if you read it.

When I was certified as an EKG tech, we used Basic Arrhythmias by Walraven. It's more depth than you may need, but I can guarantee that there won't be a trace you can't find in it.

Marriott' Practical Electrocardiography

more in depth, buth will be more helpful in your residency.

Dubin is a great book, and I am of the opinion that you should master the material in it first before moving to a "better" text. Remember that Dubin is not necessarily for physicians (and not just for med students either) and is a pattern-based text rather than a hardcore explanation of EKG findings in the context of all the pieces we know from physiology (although Dubin doesn't ignore the physiological reasons for EKG patterns). If you want to start learning EKG from a more sophisticated context then Dubin probably isn't the way to go. We started learning EKGs soon after we started M1 and Dubin was an invaluable source to supplement the methods we were taught in lecture since he gives a very simple explanation of EKG basics. I wouldn't trust Dubin for higher level knowledge of EKG though.

EKG is very complicated and isn't something you are going to learn overnight, and it isn't something that you will master by reading any text.