Election Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chartreuse Wombat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Government relations electee is a proton protector. PLEASE pass the cuts on to the rest of us.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Happy to hear about Dr. Pinnix.

Hopefully Lisa K rides off into the sunset but more likely than not, she'll just expand her residency program and continue to irritate residents on a much smaller scale.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Two DEIs wtf?
This was the first year so had to elect a chair and vice-chair - other positions are for vice-chair who is eventually promoted to chair (if i'm remembering things correctly)

Does she staff it? I follow her, old friends. I never hear any mention of protons. I had no idea they even staffed it.
"Provision CARES Proton Therapy Nashville, a partner of Tennessee Oncology, is the only proton therapy center in Middle Tennessee."

TN Onc staffs the proton center south of nashville. This doesnt necessarily make her a proton protector, though.
I will admit, I know nothing about her other than the company that pays her has a vested interest/partnership with a struggling company within the proton industry.

Maybe she'll push for pay parity and inclusion in APM. Maybe lightning bolts will shoot from my butt.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Does she staff it? I follow her, old friends. I never hear any mention of protons. I had no idea they even staffed it.
I don't think so. I also have no reason to think she's a proton shill. Just clarification regarding any possible disincentives. I don't exactly think highly of Provision, though.

I don't think so. I also have no reason to think she's a proton shill. Just clarification regarding any possible disincentives. I don't exactly think highly of Provision, though.

It’s another misguided proton venture. So stupid. I knew a guy who gave up his PP partner job in a desirable city to chase this nonsense. Now he works in the middle of nowhere. Venture capital proton long term isn’t a thing. You need legit institutional backing, lobbying power, and good advert to make it work.

• Wow
It’s another misguided proton venture. So stupid. I knew a guy who gave up his PP partner job in a desirable city to chase this nonsense. Now he works in the middle of nowhere. Venture capital proton long term isn’t a thing. You need legit institutional backing, lobbying power, and good advert to make it work.
1657744328460.png

Reactions: 2 users
Proton is our subprime crisis

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow women and minorities swept this. Very woke ASTRO election. Stay woke folks!

Reactions: 1 users
TN and OKC procure have struggled for a while. Aren’t these proton only places without photons? I heard the Dallas TOPA one is also without photons, but im not sure about this. I can’t see any particle therapy centre being successful without all the tools. This is like having a surgical centre only with a davinci.

Idk anything about the TN lady but she seems nice on social media. Deville is the one begging for proton prostate cases isn’t he?

You need legit institutional backing, lobbying power, and good advert to make it work.
And volume. The mystical “if you build it they will come” almost never pans out. Can give you a competitive edge in a tight market. AKA not the rural Midwest.

And volume. The mystical “if you build it they will come” almost never pans out. Can give you a competitive edge in a tight market. AKA not the rural Midwest.
Multiple midwest proton centres in works m8

Government relations electee is a proton protector. PLEASE pass the cuts on to the rest of us.
Poor take. Just cause she works for a large private practice that happens to staff a proton center (where she has never worked, AFAIK) doesn't make her a proton shill. Her group staffs like 20+ RO departments. It'd be like calling anybody from SERO a proton shill (even if they never worked at the upcoming SERO proton facility).

How about Dr. Deville, the guy actively advertising for more prostate patients for his proton machine?

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
TN and OKC procure have struggled for a while. Aren’t these proton only places without photons? I heard the Dallas TOPA one is also without photons, but im not sure about this. I can’t see any particle therapy centre being successful without all the tools. This is like having a surgical centre only with a davinci.

Idk anything about the TN lady but she seems nice on social media. Deville is the one begging for proton prostate cases isn’t he?

TOPA Arlington facility has protons only, but there are radonc clinics within the TOPA network with photons are close by.

TOPA Arlington facility has protons only, but there are radonc clinics within the TOPA network with photons are close by.

Similar story with TN (photons within 30 minutes of their proton machine) although the closest photon linac is a competitor. OK I though had a photon linac but don't quote me on that. There was definitely a competing photon linac basically within the same building as the proton facility.

The old proton facilities that were too expensive without the necessities are going to continue to limp along.

Or go out out of business (Indiana)
That one was interesting. It was an old research cyclotron based in Bloomington, Indiana, associated with the IU physics department. As physics research progressed, lower-energy cyclotrons no longer were able to discover new particles/interactions, so they converted the cyclotron into a tx facility. Cost some money, but not nearly what building a new machine from scratch would have cost.

It did ok for awhile, but BTown is about 90 minutes away from Indianapolis (will be 'was' 90 minutes away as soon as the I-65 expansion is done) and is rather small itself, so it simply couldn't support such a machine.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah but arent the nearby clinics competitors with different doctors who get paid by productivity? Has this model been successful? Seems to me people just say well protons not needed I need to eat while I count my gold coins. The lack of photons also leads to inappropriate treatment because physicians dont have all the tools and they also need to eat themselves. Protons are a great way to treat everything all of a sudden.

Yeah but arent the nearby clinics competitors with different doctors who get paid by productivity? Has this model been successful? Seems to me people just say well protons not needed I need to eat while I count my gold coins. The lack of photons also leads to inappropriate treatment because physicians dont have all the tools and they also need to eat themselves. Protons are a great way to treat everything all of a sudden.
Have not seen that at larger centers with protons and photons. Quite a bit of bait and switch actually, esp when the cyclotron is at capacity....

Kinda like when practices would use a cyberknife a decade or two ago to get patients through the door.

Last edited:
Have not seen at that larger centers with protons and photons. Quite a bit of bait and switch actually, esp when the cyclotron is at capacity....

Kinda like when practices would use a cyberknife a decade or two ago to get patients through the door.
Of course it happens. It is a bait for many of these places then they put them on the photon machine when they need. My point is that a proton/CK only place is never the way to go.