Electives before cores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leviathan

Drinking from the hydrant
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what electives can be done, if any, before cores? Can you give me any examples of schools which allow visiting students from international schools to do these electives? My clerkship just got scheduled to start a month later than I had planned, and now I have another month off which I'd like to make myself busy with.

Members don't see this ad.

VRAS requirements almost exclusively require Medicine and Surgery to be completed before accepting visiting students. Most require Peds and OB to be completed as well. I dont of any that will accept a visiting student without any clinical experience.

At my home school students are allowed to start on whatever they want. If some one gets a crap pick for rotations, some people are actually FORCED to start on electives.

Unfortunately, most places only accept 4th year students for visiting rotations (which really stinks when you're a third year trying to find electives). I am doing both of my electives this year at community hospitals where they are more lenient with letting people rotate. The best option is to contact the hospitals where you're interested in rotations. Sometimes you can find exceptions to the rules.

Radiology, even though it can be somewhat boring (especially at a non-interventional site), is a good way to brush up on anatomy again and helps you out tremendously in the future. Even if the pathology is limited where you rotate, you can still get a method in your head of how to read the more common studies (CTs of the head, neck & chest, CXRs, MRIs of the brain, knee, spine, U/S of abdomen & pelvis).

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, most places only accept 4th year students for visiting rotations (which really stinks when you're a third year trying to find electives). I am doing both of my electives this year at community hospitals where they are more lenient with letting people rotate. The best option is to contact the hospitals where you're interested in rotations. Sometimes you can find exceptions to the rules.

Radiology, even though it can be somewhat boring (especially at a non-interventional site), is a good way to brush up on anatomy again and helps you out tremendously in the future. Even if the pathology is limited where you rotate, you can still get a method in your head of how to read the more common studies (CTs of the head, neck & chest, CXRs, MRIs of the brain, knee, spine, U/S of abdomen & pelvis).
I wouldn't mind doing rads, or maybe anesthesia, or something where prior clerkship experience would be an asset but not an absolute requirement to do well. I've literally looked at every medical school in the US and they all seem to require you to be in your 4th year and/or completed internal med core. If anyone knows specific hospitals/schools where I could apply, I will be extremely grateful.

I wouldn't mind doing rads, or maybe anesthesia, or something where prior clerkship experience would be an asset but not an absolute requirement to do well. I've literally looked at every medical school in the US and they all seem to require you to be in your 4th year and/or completed internal med core. If anyone knows specific hospitals/schools where I could apply, I will be extremely grateful.

At my school, anesthesia is one of the most stringent about requirements. We need to have done medicine and surgery before taking it as an elective.

For us, we could only do path and rads without having done medicine and/or surgery.