Electives for International Med Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ElectricalAlternans

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am an international medical student and I sent in an application for elective rotations at Cornell. They do not require USMLEs but I have decent scores in both Step 1 and CK. I applied for infectious disease, oncology, GI and some other specialties, all internal medicine subspecialties. I wanted to know if any of you have any experience with Cornell electives for internationals. How strict are the acceptance criteria? When will I know of the application results? How good are the rotations themselves? Were you able to get an interview there after your rotation?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I am an international medical student and I sent in an application for elective rotations at Cornell. They do not require USMLEs but I have decent scores in both Step 1 and CK. I applied for infectious disease, oncology, GI and some other specialties, all internal medicine subspecialties. I wanted to know if any of you have any experience with Cornell electives for internationals. How strict are the acceptance criteria? When will I know of the application results? How good are the rotations themselves? Were you able to get an interview there after your rotation?

Thanks in advance

Don’t expect and interview unless you would have qualified for anyway. It’s a chance for you to get used to the US medical system, flow on the wards, and a letter of recommendation if you shine.

Don’t expect and interview unless you would have qualified for anyway. It’s a chance for you to get used to the US medical system, flow on the wards, and a letter of recommendation if you shine.
What do you mean by qualified for anyway? Do you have any information regarding acceptance rate? Their selection criteria? Thanks

What do you mean by qualified for anyway? Do you have any information regarding acceptance rate? Their selection criteria? Thanks

Just don't expect an interview. If you hit all checkboxes to qualify for an interview as an FMG (amazing Step scores, ECFMG certification, prolific research, great scores at home institution, significant hands-on USCE, and great LOR) and all you need is some local face time where you can shine and get a raving LOR from your sub-I there, maybe this will result in an interview. Do the rotation to gain experience, don't think you increase your chances at matching/ interviewing at Cornell significantly.

Reactions: 1 user