electron affinity/ionization energy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arpitpatel86

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok so i i know that fluorine is the most electronegative atom....but when u compare electronegativity of a noble gas such as neon to group 1, which is more electronegative

also w/ electron affinity what is greater fluroine or a noble gas.
same w/ ioniztion energy

Members don't see this ad.

ok so i i know that fluorine is the most electronegative atom....but when u compare electronegativity of a noble gas such as neon to group 1, which is more electronegative

also w/ electron affinity what is greater fluroine or a noble gas.
same w/ ioniztion energy
electron affinity means something that has affinity for electrons. The subshells for noble gases are complete, hence they are not in need for any more electrons. Where else halogens are always in need of electron because they are only missing 1 electron from completing their subshell. Therefore they have higher electron affinity than noble gases.

Ionization energy - is the energy it takes to remove 1 electron. Since noble gases have a complete subshell they do not let go of their electrons easily. Therefore they have the highest ionization energy, because it takes more energy to remove an electron from a complete subshell compared to subshell that is not complete.

ok so thereforem wou,d i t be correct to say that Na has a high electron affinity than a Noble gas too?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say yes

I disagree. I don't think it's physically possible to have a sodium anion.

EDIT: I googled it, apparently it is possible :) But I still think a noble gas has higher tendancy to gain electrons under high energy than sodium.

According to my knowledge, noble gases do not have electronegativity and electron affinity, but they do have ionization energy. Fl has the highest electronegativity and affitnity, while He has the highest ionization energy. I don't think they would ask you to compare electronegativity of Neon to Na, but they could ask a bunch of elements and ask you to pick the best one (the answer choices should include an obvious answer).