Elms College Master Biomedical Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hey guys,
I'm a non-traditional student that have completed pre-med courses. I just recently got accepted to Elms college for a one-year master biomedical program and starting Fall 2018. I wonder If anyone else got accepted and will start in the Fall.
If you already in the program or have completed the program, please let me know what to expect. I know that Master students in biomedical at elms must take a minimum of 32 units/ semester. It's a bit too much, but I'm prepared for the challenge.
I'm from Arizona, I don't know the current living situation. I don't know if living in the dorm or apartment/condo would be best. I have read a few posts from post-bac students about "post-bac house number 1,2...." if anyone has more information about places to live, please please give me some good details about it.
Eventually, I will be applying to medical school and I don't have any particular school in mind yet. Does anyone have any idea if Elms College has any connection to any medical schools in the region?

Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really do not understand why someone would pay for a master's program and then go off to a Caribbean school. I wouldn't recommend doing that. If you are going to shell out that much money, make sure you do well. Sorry, but that was the only thing that stuck out.

Reactions: 1 user
I really do not understand why someone would pay for a master's program and then go off to a Caribbean school. I wouldn't recommend doing that. If you are going to shell out that much money, make sure you do well. Sorry, but that was the only thing that stuck out.
Thanks for the recommendation and I'm positive I'll do well. . When you're a physician, you are a physician, your whole goal is to have compassion and treat people. It doesn't matter what school you go to, ultimately you're saving lives.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the recommendation and I'm positive I'll do well. . When you're a physician, you are a physician, your whole goal is to have compassion and treat people. It doesn't matter what school you go to, ultimately you're saving lives.
That's sweet, not sure I completely agree with that, but I surely can accept that all doctors can help regardless of school. My point wasn't discrediting Caribbean school graduates. It was that Caribbean schools will almost select anyone to matriculate, so getting a SMP degree just to go Caribbean would be a total waste of money and not make very much sense.

That's sweet, not sure I completely agree with that, but I surely can accept that all doctors can help regardless of school. My point wasn't discrediting Caribbean school graduates. It was that Caribbean schools will almost select anyone to matriculate, so getting a SMP degree just to go Caribbean would be a total waste of money and not make very much sense.
Yes, you're 100% correct, and their students are less competitive compared to US students, it means that you have to do exceptionally well on your USMLE step 1 to be up there with the US medical students. However, There is a handful of Caribbeans medical schools that will not take anyone. They do require a slightly lower MCAT score than the US medical school, and you have to meet certain requirements. The reason I included the big 5 medical schools is that all of my friends who are now working physicians graduated from there, and they owe half the amount that US student owes in term of students dept. I understand that there is a social stigma against Carribean medical schools, but I guess at the end, if your heart is to be a practicing physician, and there are many academic struggles or life struggle prevent your from reaching your goal, then, by all means, be positive, overcome the social stigma and do whatever it takes to reach that goal. :)

I guess we're not on the right track regarding my post lol .... and thanks a lot for the information, I do appreciate it. I completely see your point and you're not wrong :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If your gpa and MCAT are sufficient to be accepted to a Caribbean school (and you have made peace with the odds that you may never be allowed to sit for the USMLE), there is no reason to attend a Master's program.
Remediation is for those trying to get into a US school.

If your gpa and MCAT are sufficient to be accepted to a Caribbean school (and you have made peace with the odds that you may never be allowed to sit for the USMLE), there is no reason to attend a Master's program.
Thanks for the information. :)

Yes, you're 100% correct, and their students are less competitive compared to US students, it means that you have to do exceptionally well on your USMLE step 1 to be up there with the US medical students. However, There is a handful of Caribbeans medical schools that will not take anyone. They do require a slightly lower MCAT score than the US medical school, and you have to meet certain requirements. The reason I included the big 5 medical schools is that all of my friends who are now working physicians graduated from there, and they owe half the amount that US student owes in term of students dept. I understand that there is a social stigma against Carribean medical schools, but I guess at the end, if your heart is to be a practicing physician, and there are many academic struggles or life struggle prevent your from reaching your goal, then, by all means, be positive, overcome the social stigma and do whatever it takes to reach that goal. :)

I guess we're not on the right track regarding my post lol .... and thanks a lot for the information, I do appreciate it. I completely see your point and you're not wrong :)
Lol yeah I kind of took it in other direction. Just needed to say that. Anyway, good luck with getting answers!

Hi! I completed the Master's program last year. It was the first year that the masters program was available. I loved this experience. The adviser Dr. Williams is well-informed of the process of getting into medical school and has so many resources for you to use. But I can not stress this point enough IT IS ON YOU TO MAKE SURE YOU ARE PREPARED. She will do all she can and she does but you need to study, find good letters of rec, make relationships with classmates and professors, get clinical experience, volunteer etc. I loved this program because I was able to sit down with Dr. Williams and make suggestions to the curriculum and how the program can be improved. Elms college gave me an opportunity to prove that I was ready for medical school even if my undergrad gpa didn't necessarily look like it. Also, baystate is a giant hospital corporation out there - wonderful resource for clinical experience. We are still midway through the med school application process but I have gained acceptance to one DO program, interviewed at three still waiting to hear from the other two, and still waiting on other apps. Also, Elms has a linkage agreement with LECOM at both campuses so I was able to interview. For anyone thinking about med school, this program is exactly what I needed and is the reason I gained acceptance. For anyone thinking about applying, feel free to PM me and I will offer what my experience was like here and try to answer any questions

Reactions: 1 users