eLORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thedogisgreen

UC Davis c/o 2015
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This past year, I had two vet recommendations (from 2 different SA clinics) and one tech letter (from the same clinic as one of the vets). In my Washington app review, I was told that I shouldn't get two letters from people at the same clinic, and I should also get one from a professor. I'm taking a lab class right now and could ask the professor, but the TA definitely knows me better - he's a graduate student, but a TA, not a prof, so is that given less weight/does it not look as good? The school I definitely am going for next yr is Davis (my in state), but I'll be applying all around. Don't have my Davis app review for more than a month but I'd like to get an idea of who to ask before then. Any input on whether to go with a TA who knows me better or a professor who could write a decent letter but doesn't know me as well? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What you can do is have the TA and Professor "joint" write you a letter.Since the TA knows you better he/she will be able to put better information but you will have the benefit of the Professor's word in the rec.
If you have a Professor that knows you well that of course would be better. This is an option though for those of us who pretty much have only had large science classes.
I did this and got in to a few schools so it will work if it's the only option you have.

Members don't see this ad :)
Like Nyanko said a graduate TA isn't a great idea.
However, have you thought about asking your Prof and maybe saying that your grad school TA knows you very well...explain the situation. Your Prof should know that you need recommendations from "higher" people who have finished their degrees, and they should also be pretty close with the TAs since TAs usually help them with the grunt work, maybe they'd be willing to chat with the TA before they wrote your letter. That way it is more personal but also by someone who already has a PhD

What you can do is have the TA and Professor "joint" write you a letter.Since the TA knows you better he/she will be able to put better information but you will have the benefit of the Professor's word in the rec.
If you have a Professor that knows you well that of course would be better. This is an option though for those of us who pretty much have only had large science classes.
I did this and got in to a few schools so it will work if it's the only option you have.

damn, you beat me lol