Post-grad asking profs for ELORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starfish229

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated in May 2017, and i will be applying to vet schools this cycle. I have a very reserved personality, I keep to myself especially in large classes. My major had around 100 people in it, so our classes for our major had everyone in them. There were 2 classes i can think of that were small enough where the professor could see how i was as a student, and both classes were taught by the same professor. I’m planning on asking her for a LOR, but my issue is that since im already a year out of college, and those classes were in junior year, im worried she wont remember me and might decline writting a letter.

One of my top choices is Tufts, and i noticed that they want at least one professor for a LOR, the second can be either another professor or an advisor (i barely ever met with my advisor cause he was always out of the country and basically shouldnt have been an advisor). The third is from a vet which will be no issue for me to get that one. I am very worried that not being able to get a recommendation from a professor will result in not being able to apply to tufts.

Does anyone have a similar experience with LORs, being a few years out of classes with those professors? Did you ask the professor if they would be willing to meet with you to talk about what you have been doing since graduating, catch up, and hopefully then they can write a strong letter for you? Im also not sure how to write the initial email to see if she would even be willing to meet with me. Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
A generic letter from a professor can actually hurt you more than help you. Make sure your professor really knows you and can write a strong letter. Contact the vet school and see how strict that requirement is if you’re worried.

When asking someone to write a LOR, the question should be, "Would you be willing to write me an EXCELLENT letter of recommendation?" If the answer is no or they give you pause re-think having them write that letter. Ask SkiOtter mentioned, inquire to see how strict that requirement is. I barely talked to professors in undergrad. I only talk to vet school professors because the material is actually engaging and interesting. I'd be in the same boat as you if I didn't end up doing research at school. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When asking someone to write a LOR, the question should be, "Would you be willing to write me an EXCELLENT letter of recommendation?" If the answer is no or they give you pause re-think having them write that letter. Ask SkiOtter mentioned, inquire to see how strict that requirement is. I barely talked to professors in undergrad. I only talk to vet school professors because the material is actually engaging and interesting. I'd be in the same boat as you if I didn't end up doing research at school. Best of luck!

Yeah i never really thought about approaching the vet school to see if they would be flexible with those! I will do that! And I definitey already know to get strong/excellent letters. The classes i had with the one professor i did exceptionally well in, and i talked and asked questions because they were smaller classes i felt more comfortable in. I wonder if anyone has a similar exprience with asking a professor a few years out.

Also quite a few of the other schools im hoping to apply to require at least 1 professor. I just noticed tufts requires 2 (or one advisor)

You could take another course at a 4 year university if you absolutely need a LOR. I had to take anatomy as a pre-requisite after graduating and got a LOR from a professor who has worked with gators for 20 years. Super easy to make time for office hours and to get a very solid letter with one class in your schedule. You should probably look into the professor's background and all that, but if you are desperate for one, it's an option.

I'm in a really similar situation! I asked the professor i'm thinking of for a LOR in senior year but I haven't really talked to her since then AND I moved out of province. She will likely still be my choice, and i'm happy to skype or whatever to discuss things, but i'm worried it will still be generic. Also she'll be like "where did you go and why are you asking me two years later? Isn't there someone else!?" She probably writes so many LORs :arghh:

I'm in a really similar situation! I asked the professor i'm thinking of for a LOR in senior year but I haven't really talked to her since then AND I moved out of province. She will likely still be my choice, and i'm happy to skype or whatever to discuss things, but i'm worried it will still be generic. Also she'll be like "where did you go and why are you asking me two years later? Isn't there someone else!?" She probably writes so many LORs :arghh:
I think you’d be surprised what professors remember. My academic LOR was from a professor a year and a half before, and not even from a particularly small class, and she was still happy to write me a letter.

Most will just want to chat about your goals, etc, and any updates to your life.

I'm in the exact same situation as you except I graduated three years ago. I talked to admissions at Tufts and he told me to reach out to my professors regardless. I was told I need at least one and if I couldn't get a second then I could ask my employer, but honestly it sounds like doing so would hurt my chances. So far I e-mailed one professor and he was willing to write me a letter if I sent along my resume, so just reach out to them.

Bear in mind, at least at the time that I applied (it's been a while...), they didn't both need to be science professors. I had my physiology professor write one since I had a lecture and a lab section with him; my other was from an Italian professor who I'd had for a few classes in a much smaller class setting. I did end up getting in to Tufts, and I remember them mentioning my Italian professor at my interview, and how it was an interesting/unique part of my application (not in a bad way).