eLORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

APBT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I searched, I promise! :)

I'm not sure who to use for my eLORs. I work with some stellar world-class veterinarians, so I suppose I'm going to pick one of those, and I asked a professor to write one for me. The 3rd? Do you think they would prefer to see another veterinarian on there? A supervisor?

Just curious as to the opinions you guys have out there.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, you need at least one from a vet for sure. As for the third one, just pick the person you feels knows you best, and who would be most complimentary and vouch for you the strongest. I don't think adcoms really care if it's a second vet or supervisor, as long as you have a longstanding and meaningful relationship with the person and hence they can truly evaluate you. I know this is really generic advice, but there's not much more I can think of saying, aside from go with your gut! Or, you could always discuss your need for a letter with the potential writers, and see what their reactions are. If one sounds more adamant about wanting to write you a good letter, go with them. Hope this helps!

Generic advice is still good advice.

Hm.....I work mainly in large animal now, but have worked in mixed previously as well. I wonder if it would be beneficial to have a small animal vet to write an eLOR as well as one of my large animal ones?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm viewing the entire application as an information operation and selecting the LORs to support the message. Your best bet would be to pick evaluators that can present a wide variety of views on you, but all pointing toward the same message.

Don't know where all you're applying, but just in-case/FYI...Ohio State requires two letters from vets, so IF you were applying there, it would make your decision easier

Likewise, now I have some more specific advice as well. I know that at least for UC Davis, they seem to like applicants with a clear goal in vet med, and an application that supports that goal (i.e., a personal statement that expresses that goal, and having the most experience hours in that area too). So I'm inferring that they'd also prefer to see a letter from a vet in that area, rather than a vet in a totally different field. If I were you, and both vets know you really well, I'd pick the one that more closely aligns with your area of interest.

As mentioned, Ohio wants two veterinary references. Some other schools require an academic reference. Others to consider would be employers, PIs, or someone involved with animal experience you have listed. Look at what each school wants and try to come up with the best combo. You can submit up to five through VMCAS but the schools that want three will still only read three - for example, Ohio will find two vets (randomly, if there are more than two) and then pick the third at random.