EM-IM Combined

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYC rat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, what's the deal with the combined residency? Obviously, most people in this forum are considering only EM and so there will be some bias towards EM alone rather than the combined, but lets hear the dissent.

Is there anyone out there who has established a career pulling ED and hospitalist shifts?

Members don't see this ad.

Fatty McFattypants:laugh:

Not sure if I am allowed to post that because im a newb, but I wanted to do it at least once in my life.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think a nice touch was saying that "most of us in here are considering only EM." good to know the residents and attendings in here are still weighing their options.

at HFH we have several EMIM staff most of whom (except one) are 100% EM. One of our recent grads is staff in both depts. The true reason that a lot of peeps do it is for the Critical care side. They can sit for US boards in CCM if they do IM. All that being said, we have a one resident who is EMIM and is going to do a fellowship in Infectious Diseases. Pretty rare that someone chooses and IM fellowship over pure EM or CCM.

Yep, I'm pretty sure that this thread falls under the Fatty category---although I think that playing hangman would have been a better way to go than blurting it out.

Well, I guess I can't argue with someone who has posted over 2,400 times on this site... so it IS a Fatty thread.

Well, I guess I can't argue with someone who has posted over 2,400 times on this site... so it IS a Fatty thread.

Then you're about the ONLY one, as there are a BUNCH of people with 5 or 6 years, yet less than 50 posts, that will pipe up with ad hominem attacks, or dredging stuff up from years ago, or "holier than thou" posts, then fade away again into obscurity, like a fart in the wind (and their posts having about the same aroma).