EM PDA Software

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RustedFox

The mouse police never sleeps.
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, to take a break from all the interview-fever around here... (Yeah, I admit, I've got a case of the fever too).

- Awhile back, someone on here posted some Palm PDA software called "EM Rules", which I then downloaded and really enjoyed....

1. - Does anyone know of any other killer EM PDA software? If so, please provide a link.

2. - Has "EM Rules" been updated recently with more features? I'm so enthralled with this software. Kudos to whomever took the time to code it.

- Good luck to all with interviews and matching.
- RustedFox.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also have an OB Wheel, Mediquations, Eponyms and an ABG calculator on my iPhone. You can find all of these within iTunes.

I probably use the OB wheel and mediquations the most (outside of ePocrates for meds).

Take care,
Jeff

(Not an ED Doc) For Peds I have loved Pedi Suite (I use V6.0; 7.0 just came out). Great interface and has the most bang for 45 bucks. Medical Wizards (the maker of Pedi Suite) also makes a similar resource called ER Suite and various packages that include ER Suite. If ER Suite is as good as Pedi Suite, I'd look into it. The trial includes access to the whole program for you to judge.

Another vote for EM rules ruling. I swear that I calculate PORT scores all the time. Of course, it's getting to be that time of year in Florida, and there are even more old people here than usual.

I tried Pepid a couple of times, but couldn't get used to the interface. But I might try it again as it gets rave reviews.

I have an OB wheel and a biliruben calculator,which I didn't think i'd ever use again... except that I saw a 2 day old in the ED yesterday, and mom said "you know, his level was x earlier today, what does that mean?" I use the wheel all the time. Eponyms occasionally, but it's nice to be able to figure out what someone really has when they give you a mispronounced syndrome name.

Epocrates is the best.

First, you need to pick a PDA platform. I used to design WinCE software and used Palm for about 10 years. I've been using an iPhone for about 4 months now and am still in awe. You can wait for Google's G1 to mature, but even the iPhone is still just up to speed medically. I wouldn't waste your time on Windows Mobile or Nokia.

If you select an iPhone, Pepid ED and Epocrates versions are in development now according to information I've seen from both companies. I estimate they should be ready by July when the new Interns start (I don't have inside info, but this isn't like building an operating system).

Currently the free software I use include Epocrates Rx, Medical Calc, Eponyms and Skyscape. Skyscape gives you Archimedes for free and the ability to purchase versions of many reference texts.

I have also paid for Netter's Anatomy drawings (beautiful on the iPhone), Pepid Mobile (slower using wireless connection, but usable until the iPhone is released), and iSilo. The latter is a document reader that gives you access to many free docs, cheat sheets and reference materials made for Palm over the years.

Finally, I listen to audio and watch videos from EMRA (EMRAP, etc.) on the iPhone. Don't be surprised if NEJM, UpToDate, etc. make their subscriptions available on the iPhone in the near future.

Currently the free software I use include Epocrates Rx, Medical Calc, Eponyms and Skyscape. Skyscape gives you Archimedes for free and the ability to purchase versions of many reference texts.
Meh, I'm avoiding the iPhone for right now much because of their business model with folks like Skyscape.

You can get lots of great titles for the iPhone from Skyscape. They offer 5 Min Emergency Medicine Consult, for instance.

It costs $80 for Palm/PocketPC/Smart phone. For the iPhone? It's $60, but it's a subscription. After one year, if you don't renew, it no longer works on your phone. Bleh....

Meh, I'm avoiding the iPhone for right now much because of their business model with folks like Skyscape.

You can get lots of great titles for the iPhone from Skyscape. They offer 5 Min Emergency Medicine Consult, for instance.

It costs $80 for Palm/PocketPC/Smart phone. For the iPhone? It's $60, but it's a subscription. After one year, if you don't renew, it no longer works on your phone. Bleh....

What is it about Apple's business model that's keeping you from buying an iPhone?

Does Skyscape not charge a subscription on other platforms? PEPID and the full version of ePocrates are both subscription so I assumed this was the dominant model in this market.

Take care,
Jeff

What is it about Apple's business model that's keeping you from buying an iPhone?
They're locked-box approach to software and their extremely high prices for what they offer. They drop the price of their phones by $200, but then jack up subscription rates by $25/month with a two year contract, so you pay $400 more for the phone. It's brilliant. Exploitive, but brilliant.
Does Skyscape not charge a subscription on other platforms? PEPID and the full version of ePocrates are both subscription so I assumed this was the dominant model in this market.
The subscription model for "service" software I can live with (where you periodically get installs of new data, etc.). And the software makers established that.

What bothers me about Apple is that they gouge third party vendors by requiring them to LEASE software rather than sell it outright. It is APPLE requiring the subscription to documents on Skyscape, not Skyscape itself.

So what irritates me is that Five Minute Consult, which is not a service, but essentially a PDF, you can buy outright for any platform other than iPhone. For iPhone, you need to pay a huge fee each year, even though there is no services attached. That's what I find irritating.

There are about three reference texts I like for my handheld in EM. They cost about $150 as a one-time fee for any other platform. They cost about $120 EACH YEAR to buy them for the iPhone.

Last edited:
They're locked-box approach to software and their extremely high prices for what they offer. They drop the price of their phones by $200, but then jack up subscription rates by $25/year with a two year contract, so you pay $400 more for the phone. It's brilliant. Exploitive, but brilliant.

wah.

i assume you mean 25$/month, more like 15$ and you get 3g.

A lot of research for a product/company you despise, i think you secretly love apple.

Sorry, im just an apple fan. Seriously though, im going to buy which ever program is available first, epocrates/pepid.

Another vote for Pepid. Great pgm and the tech support is excellent/respsonsive.

Are you sure? I bought a couple of items from Skyscape for my Palm, and , yeah, after a year it gave me a warning that my subscription had expired. But the program itself kept working, just without updates.

Are you sure? I bought a couple of items from Skyscape for my Palm, and , yeah, after a year it gave me a warning that my subscription had expired. But the program itself kept working, just without updates.
Yep. Skyscape for PPC/Palm expires after a year and you no longer get updates; Skyscape for iPhone expires after a year and no longer functions. This comes from a telephone call directly with Skyscape. Grrrr...