EM Residencies...and even others

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

realruby2000

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
From what I've read on this board...most AOA EM programs suck (I'm sure there are a couple that might be decent). My question is, whats the difference if you go into a crappy program or a good one? What are the major benefits? I mean, dont you become an emergency physician either way? Is the pay different? Do you run the risk of being unemployed? or are you confined to a specific geographic region?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The differences between Allopathic EM programs and DO EM programs can be extensive, but they seem to focus on a few things.
Allopathic EM programs are recertified/approved by the Residency Review Committee (RRC) which puts each program under strict guidelines for research, attending supervision, didactic time/week, academic projects, and exposure to peds EM/ trauma etc. In the DO world, it has far less strict guidelines.
Few DO EM residencies are at level 1 trauma centers and virtually none have the same academic guidelines found in allopathic programs. Even fewer have board certified, EM residency trained docs as attendings.
Allopathic EM programs have worked hard to legitimize the profession...to make it a complete specialty filled with academics/research/clinical expertise. It is taken VERY seriously.
Some programs have dual accreditation, and those are strong programs.
But as a whole, DO programs do not "suck". They just simply do not offer what 90% of MD EM programs offer. And, all else being equal...a candidate from an Allopathic EM program has a heads up on an Osteopathic candidate for the same job. It is competition.

In response to the last part of your question, yes you are almost "confined" to programs that are east of the Mississippi River. Most of the programs are in Michigan and there are some in Pennsylvania, NY, NJ, Florida, Ohio, and Illinois (Chicago). (Sorry if I left out any other states)
Check the emra website at <a href="http://www.emra.org" target="_blank">www.emra.org</a> it has a complete listing.