EM to anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lifesagas

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there, I am a current pgy1 wanting to switch out of a 4yr program into anesthesia. How much less competitive would I be given I would be switching? My stats are solid except for a low step 1.

Step 1=211
Step 2= 271
Hs in 5/7 3rd yr clerkships including med/surg, HP the other 2
Took an anesthesia elective and got H
1 poster, 1 1st author, 1 case report none relating to anesthesia
top 20 medical school

appreciate any advice or feedback
I would like to go to a university based program if possible. Family ties to Colorado, Seattle, and Chicago so programs in those areas would be of high interest.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey there, I am a current pgy1 wanting to switch out of a 4yr program into anesthesia. How much less competitive would I be given I would be switching? My stats are solid except for a low step 1.

Step 1=211
Step 2= 271
Hs in 5/7 3rd yr clerkships including med/surg, HP the other 2
Took an anesthesia elective and got H
1 poster, 1 1st author, 1 case report none relating to anesthesia
top 20 medical school

appreciate any advice or feedback
I would like to go to a university based program if possible. Family ties to Colorado, Seattle, and Chicago so programs in those areas would be of high interest.

You went from 211 to 271? Ok then.

Your step 1 will definitely get you filtered from many university programs, but for your situation some solid letters from your current program will go a long way. Not impossible to find a solid mid to upper tier program, but I wouldn’t restrict yourself geographically if at all possible.

You have a required anesthesiology elective, use that as an opportunity to make a positive impression. Does your institution have an anesthesiology program? If so, I’d consider meeting with the PD before application season to discuss. Or go back to your medical school’s PD.

You went from 211 to 271? Ok then.

Your step 1 will definitely get you filtered from many university programs, but for your situation some solid letters from your current program will go a long way. Not impossible to find a solid mid to upper tier program, but I wouldn’t restrict yourself geographically if at all possible.

You have a required anesthesiology elective, use that as an opportunity to make a positive impression. Does your institution have an anesthesiology program? If so, I’d consider meeting with the PD before application season to discuss. Or go back to your medical school’s PD.

Yeah my USMLE jump was rather dramatic.
Unfortunately the only thing my institution is known for is EM. There is no anesthesia residency but I do rotate with the anesthesia service for two weeks.
What are mid-tier academic places? I would prefer Denver, Seattle, Chicago but by no means would I limit myself to these areas.

Is U of Colorado mid or upper tier? How about U of Illinois? U of Chicago? UW?

Thanks for the reply!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
you have a shot at a decent anesthesiology residency program.
any compelling reason for making the switch?
any performance issues in your PGY1 year?
No performance issues.
I want to switch because I loved my elective when I did it 4th year and incorrectly applied EM even though with each subsequent away my soul died more and more. I hate the triaging. I hate the BS pain seeking. I want to be an expert in my field. I want to do more procedures.

i would take some time to reaffirm your interest in anesthesiology before making the switch. there's a lot more to it than what you are exposed to on rotation. it's not about airways and lines, and as much as i enjoyed procedural skills when i was a resident, the novelty passes. ask around about the political situation, the overall sentiments among anesthesiologists. then make your choice.

as for your situation -- i have no doubts you would match into a decent anesthesiology program. however if you want to match into an unfilled or recently vacated PGY2/CA1 position there can be a bit of luck involved.

Reactions: 1 users