Email admissions dean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why are you the one in the relationship that is sacrificing opportunities for acceptances. Law School is way easier to get in to. To spend six months developing a very positive relationship with this Dean and then abruptly cut it off was strange to say the least. I can see where the Dean was rather taken aback. There are hundreds of applicants who would give anything to have had those offers. And what exactly are you going to say if your partner isn’t accepted to the assumed school? Are you going to stand the Dean up again? Did you apply to other schools in this area? Have you heard from them? Perhaps you should focus on those schools and wait for your partner to receive an acceptance.
Hello, thank you for your reply. As others have mentioned before, I understand that the best thing to have done here was to meet with her.

But I am not sacrificing opportunities for acceptances.. I assumed what would happen is that my app would go into RD consideration, just like it happens for the few ED applicants who get denied ED. I don't think it is the same as saying no to an only acceptance, and sacrificing because of my partner. Yes, law schools may be easier to get into, but I didn't want to say yes to the dean, go through a process half-heartedly and then end up in California while my partner was in New York. It just wasn't going to work for us, I was in no mindset to make such a decision in a few months time span, and I was polite about declining.

How is it standing up the dean when it is not a solid commitment? I did not write a letter of intent, how could I if I have not even received an interview? I just told them I love the school, provided the update about my partner and thanked them again for their mentorship. Just like the dean has no obligation to even reply to my email (she may not after all), if for some reason I get into a school with a better fit, better financial aid, etc... how would it be bad if I chose another school? I am not making excuses here or trying to justify things, but I just don't think it is the same as "standing the dean up" when all I did was choose not to waste her time with an option I had never considered from day one of the application process

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don’t know what @KnightDoc meant, but I doubt the Dean even became involved after you refusing two opportunities to meet with her. Your application was received, filedand reviewed just like everyone else’s. No preferential treatment, no fast track, no ED. Your best chance was an invitation from the Dean for ED and you refused that one. Now you wait just like thousands of other applicants. I’m thinking the Dean is going to think, he wants help now but… And nobody can say if you are being ghosted because I don’t think many SDNers have a six month mentoring relationship with a med School Dean preapplication.
There was only one opportunity to meet with her, and what you said is what I figured would happen that I would just go into regular consideration with all the other applicants. By reaching out to her, my intention was not to be given special treatment. I only wanted to ask you all if I should even reach out, or if that would in some way be seen as disrespectful. throughout the 6 months, I would often reach out with some updates, and I treated today's email as more of the same.

Honestly though, I didn't have many expectations even after putting my app in.. I hoped I would get an II eventually, but all the threads here about order of review and priority and everything else... I was thinking that it may even be possible that my app has not have even been reviewed yet since the school is known to give out IIs all the way up til early spring

If I am understanding you correctly, you are saying that because I had a great interaction with the dean, that might have been cause for bumping up my app in priority, so it is essentially "ghosting" to have not heard back by November. Is that really how it works? (this thread is giving me all the feels today)
Yes. Bumping you up isn't even really a consideration at this point. Assuming you were complete in July or August, it's now November, so you wouldn't necessarily need to be bumped up by the dean to have received a review by now. OTOH, if she still had an interest in you, why wouldn't you have received an II by now? I'd be wondering that if I were you.

It's not really that early any longer, and you had a great, extended interaction with the dean of admissions. While no one is "entitled" to anything, I don't think it's crazy for you to have expected an II, given that you were encouraged to apply ED. After all, if you really expected nothing, then you have received exactly what you expected, so why were you even thinking about reaching out? :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. Bumping you up isn't even really a consideration at this point. Assuming you were complete in July or August, it's now November, so you wouldn't necessarily need to be bumped up by the dean to have received a review by now. OTOH, if she still had an interest in you, why wouldn't you have received an II by now? I'd be wondering that if I were you.

It's not really that early any longer, and you had a great, extended interaction with the dean of admissions. While no one is "entitled" to anything, I don't think it's crazy for you to have expected an II, given that you were encouraged to apply ED. After all, if you really expected nothing, then you have received exactly what you expected, so why were you even thinking about reaching out? :)
Like I mentioned to candbgirl, I only wanted to know if I could reach out to her or if I had unfortunately completely burned bridges there. Just as applicants give updates with the small (very small) hope that it could make their app look more favorable, I hoped that an update that I was strongly interested in area along with reaffirming interest in the school may at least get some interest. The school threads are filled with people asking whether schools accept pre-II updates.. the nuance here was my past relationship with the dean and if it should even be done at this point because of that.

I predict that you’ll get an II from the school in a couple weeks.

For now, just know that you’ve done everything in your power to get a favorable outcome. Good luck op

I don’t know what @KnightDoc meant, but I doubt the Dean even became involved after you refusing two opportunities to meet with her. Your application was received, filedand reviewed just like everyone else’s. No preferential treatment, no fast track, no ED. Your best chance was an invitation from the Dean for ED and you refused that one. Now you wait just like thousands of other applicants. I’m thinking the Dean is going to think, he wants help now but… And nobody can say if you are being ghosted because I don’t think many SDNers have a six month mentoring relationship with a med School Dean preapplication.
Yeah, you're right -- none of us have ever been in this position. The speculation, though, given the early attention, the personal invitation to apply ED, the refusal to accept an invitation to meet to discuss, the strong stats, and the 3 other IIs, is that @upupandaway2022 might now be blackballed rather than just thrown into the pile. That is the concern at this point that is trying to be resolved through reaching out now.

Reactions: 1 users
Like I mentioned to candbgirl, I only wanted to know if I could reach out to her or if I had unfortunately completely burned bridges there. Just as applicants give updates with the small (very small) hope that it could make their app look more favorable, I hoped that an update that I was strongly interested in area along with reaffirming interest in the school may at least get some interest. The school threads are filled with people asking whether schools accept pre-II updates.. the nuance here was my past relationship with the dean and if it should even be done at this point because of that.
Yes, those of us who have been with you since yesterday get this, and I think we all agree that you have nothing to lose by reaching out. If you burned the bridge, it's done, and you might as well know. If not, it will be reassuring for you to know that. Doing nothing will just prolong the anxiety until something happens organically.

Yeah, you're right -- none of us have ever been in this position. The speculation, though, given the early attention, the personal invitation to apply ED, the refusal to accept an invitation to meet to discuss, the strong stats, and the 3 other IIs, is that @upupandaway2022 might now be blackballed rather than just thrown into the pile. That is the concern at this point that is trying to be resolved through reaching out now.
I find it pretty unlikely that the dean would specifically have OP's application targeted and removed from consideration. Most likely she completely refused herself from his app. He is now facing the standard review process at this school.

This is a more general question, but how much power does a Dean have to push an app past the finish line? It feels much different than say a corporation, in which the CEO can almost always move mountains when it comes to hiring.

I find it pretty unlikely that the dean would specifically have OP's application targeted and removed from consideration. Most likely she completely refused herself from his app. He is now facing the standard review process at this school.
Right and no R yet so....... good news?

But yeah, that was my assumption until the thread kind of made me panic a little bit.

This is a more general question, but how much power does a Dean have to push an app past the finish line? It feels much different than say a corporation, in which the CEO can almost always move mountains when it comes to hiring.
Pushing past the finish line is tough because an entire committee needs to go along. Given how insanely difficult it is to score an II, anywhere, spiking an application is probably very easy, given the numbers involved.

Right and no R yet so....... good news?

But yeah, that was my assumption until the thread kind of made me panic a little bit.
Yea dude, I think these guys are going way overboard. I honestly would even be surprised if the Dean remember you negatively. Unless I'm misunderstanding the situation, it just looks like she liked the kind of applicant you were and wanted to have you at the school, but not to some to some ridiculous extent. Refusing her offer to convince you to pursue an application path you knew you would refuse so that you don't waste her time also makes sense to me. It's not what I would have done, nor what I would recommend, but I seriously doubt the Dean took that personally unless she had invested a lot of time (at least a few hours) in you prior and you misled her into thinking you were strongly considering ED only to back out last minute.

Saying "hey sorry, no need to meet as I cannot do ed due to (very valid reasons)" is hardly offensive, even if it's not the most useful path to follow. At that the point, the dean likely decided "very well, let him go to the RD pile and follow the standard process". Appealing to her directly now and providing a reason may help, or more likely, it will do nothing.

The net effect of your decision likely simply shifted you from "very likely admit" to "normal consideration". Perhaps post-II, the dean may become involved when it comes time for acceptance decisions, but I really doubt she even paid attention to whether you applied RD at this stage.

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread reminds me of the guy who posted about how he came to know the admissions committee at a 'stat ***** school' who essentially told them they were guaranteed acceptance. They got rejected, reached out to the school who immediately scheduled a meeting with the dean who told him he was screened out because of his MCAT (which was like a 514 or something). They got the II then freaked about on the SDN thread because they self-doxxed apparently. Went to look but their account is deleted.

Makes me wonder how many people 'know' deans/AOs lol.

This thread reminds me of the guy who posted about how he came to know the admissions committee at a 'stat ***** school' who essentially told them they were guaranteed acceptance. They got rejected, reached out to the school who immediately scheduled a meeting with the dean who told him he was screened out because of his MCAT (which was like a 514 or something). They got the II then freaked about on the SDN thread because they self-doxxed apparently. Went to look but their account is deleted.

Makes me wonder how many people 'know' deans/AOs lol.
Was this is a somewhat recent post (within the past year)? I remember this story.

A similar one i read on r/premed said that a guy went to undergrad and post back at a uni, and had very heavy ties to the uni. The dean told him his acceptance was basically assured, and toured him around the med school personally saying (and I quote) "youre going to love these facilities even more as a med student here". The dean encouraged him to apply ED, and since this was that applicant's #1 choice he did.

Waitlisted, then ultimately rejected. No explanation provided. Plus, applying ED delayed his entire app cycle (they couldn't even waitlist him early, like August or something) so he didn't submit elsewhere until very late. Reapplicant.

You're definitely right to wonder lol.

• Wow
Was this is a somewhat recent post (within the past year)? I remember this story.

A similar one i read on r/premed said that a guy went to undergrad and post back at a uni, and had very heavy ties to the uni. The dean told him his acceptance was basically assured, and toured him around the med school personally saying (and I quote) "youre going to love these facilities even more as a med student here". The dean encouraged him to apply ED, and since this was that applicant's #1 choice he did.

Waitlisted, then ultimately rejected. No explanation provided. Plus, applying ED delayed his entire app cycle (they couldn't even waitlist him early, like August or something) so he didn't submit elsewhere until very late. Reapplicant.

That's cold. Ice. Cold.

Yeah it was within the year. The whole thing lasted like 3 days. Dude actually flipped out after things went his way because he was sure he would get doxxed. I was just surprised he got literally screened from the school with a 515 or whatever.

Yeah it was within the year. The whole thing lasted like 3 days. Dude actually flipped out after things went his way because he was sure he would get doxxed. I was just surprised he got literally screened from the school with a 515 or whatever.
Ultimately accepted?

Yea dude, I think these guys are going way overboard. I honestly would even be surprised if the Dean remember you negatively. Unless I'm misunderstanding the situation, it just looks like she liked the kind of applicant you were and wanted to have you at the school, but not to some to some ridiculous extent. Refusing her offer to convince you to pursue an application path you knew you would refuse so that you don't waste her time also makes sense to me. It's not what I would have done, nor what I would recommend, but I seriously doubt the Dean took that personally unless she had invested a lot of time (at least a few hours) in you prior and you misled her into thinking you were strongly considering ED only to back out last minute.

Saying "hey sorry, no need to meet as I cannot do ed due to (very valid reasons)" is hardly offensive, even if it's not the most useful path to follow. At that the point, the dean likely decided "very well, let him go to the RD pile and follow the standard process". Appealing to her directly now and providing a reason may help, or more likely, it will do nothing.

The net effect of your decision likely simply shifted you from "very likely admit" to "normal consideration". Perhaps post-II, the dean may become involved when it comes time for acceptance decisions, but I really doubt she even paid attention to whether you applied RD at this stage.
Thanks sadwinter! Yes, that is what I thought would happen and from the stories you and joe32 shared later, even being asked to apply ED is not always a sure admit

Thanks sadwinter! Yes, that is what I thought would happen and from the stories you and joe32 shared later, even being asked to apply ED is not always a sure admit
MD programs are required to rely on a committee for admissions per a recent thread on which several ad coms commented. That dilutes the power of the admissions dean.

DO programs are a different matter.

ED is absolutely not a sure admit, but it is generally a likely admit (as most school have a pre-screen for people applying ED, or you are not allowed to), and an extremely likely admit if your stats are above a school's median and the rest of your profile matches (even if ORM).

Ultimately accepted?
No clue, they deleted their account and all posts and apparently got everyone else to do the same to their quoted posts. Although I remember them saying he messaged an adcom member who forwarded him to the dean, who met with him the next day over zoom. So either this person wasn't telling the whole story (i.e. maybe they literally are the kid of the hospital owner or something idfk) or their ECs were just completely incredible but the MCAT screen f'd it up. Or he was just lying, but by the tone of their messages I wouldn't think so lol.

Quick update: dean thanked me for reaching out and let me know my app was under review. She said the update would be relayed to the review board.

Reactions: 3 users
Given what OP said, I surmise it’s either UC Davis or UC Irvine. Tbh, the Dean of admissions has no say at all in who gets in. It’s the committee.

• Hmm
Quick update: dean thanked me for reaching out and let me know my app was under review. She said the update would be relayed to the review board.
Haha, this is what I figured would happen. Idk why everyone seemed to think you made some grevious mistake that could forever doom your chances at that school haha.

This is not the end of the world. Just reconnect. I don't know anyone in admissions who takes an applicant's decision not to apply ED or not to accept an offer of admission personally.

This is not the end of the world. Just reconnect. I don't know anyone in admissions who takes an applicant's decision not to apply ED or not to accept an offer of admission personally.
Thanks MrSmile! Yes, I got a pretty good response back from the dean when I wrote to her and reconnected. It definitely wasn't of a tone like she had taken my previous emails personally.

Haha, this is what I figured would happen. Idk why everyone seemed to think you made some grevious mistake that could forever doom your chances at that school haha.
Thanks for keeping me sane throughout the wait process, msummer! Yeah, based on the other reactions, I thought I would get silence and had completely messed up any small chance at the school! Regardless of what happens now with interviews or beyond, I am just glad that the relationship seems to be intact.

Thanks for keeping me sane throughout the wait process, msummer! Yeah, based on the other reactions, I thought I would get silence and had completely messed up any small chance at the school! Regardless of what happens now with interviews or beyond, I am just glad that the relationship seems to be intact.
Getting a response so quickly is a great sign. Please keep us posted and let us know if (when :)) you receive an II, since that would certainly close the loop here. Hopefully the e-mail nudged you in that direction.

Seeing my old username made me smile haha. A few people lost track of me when I switched. People I talked to on here often didn't, but I didn't expect others to connect those dots lol.

Seeing my old username made me smile haha. A few people lost track of me when I switched. People I talked to on here often didn't, but I didn't expect others to connect those dots lol.
yoo! either I've lurked way too long on a lot of your active threads or the gif-y profile pic you still have (though very different from summer), still stands out!

Getting a response so quickly is a great sign. Please keep us posted and let us know if (when :)) you receive an II, since that would certainly close the loop here. Hopefully the e-mail nudged you in that direction.
Fingers crossed, thanks again KnightDoc!

yoo! either I've lurked way too long on a lot of your active threads or the gif-y profile pic you still have (though very different from summer), still stands out!
haha, I stayed in the MCU, just used a different action clip. I assumed you did it on purpose, it's even better if you just called me that by accident haha.

Congrats, op

Not one to spike the ball, but I called it.
Of course, that you did Vox!!!

I have to say, there were so many times in these past few months when I wondered if you were even a real person, but seriously, you did call it! Please do celebrate a little tonight on my behalf.

Oh also, please please do not break up with your gf over text man. ;)

• Haha
Of course, that you did Vox!!!

I have to say, there were so many times in these past few months when I wondered if you were even a real person, but seriously, you did call it! Please do celebrate a little tonight on my behalf.

Oh also, please please do not break up with your gf over text man. ;)
I hope this thread stands as a testament to SDN overreaction haha. I still remember confusedly shaking my head as I read post after post telling you your chances were shot at this school. Keep us updated!