Email from Pritzker! Yay! More money to spend!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scooby Doo

IEatShavedPussyCats
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got an email from Pritzker. Here is is:

Dear Applicant to the Pritzker School of Medicine:

We have received a preliminary indication from AMCAS that you have selected the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine as a school to which you wish to apply. We will receive your complete, verified AMCAS application some time in the next few weeks. Because of the delays many have experienced with the new application system, we are extending you an invitation to complete our supplemental application prior to our receipt of your AMCAS application. By doing so, we hope to make it possible for you to complete your application to Pritzker in a timely way.

Because we are extending this invitation based on preliminary information, you may also receive a duplicate invitation at the time we receive your verified AMCAS application. Please ignore this second invitation and know that it results from our wish to grant you as early a start as is possible.

The supplemental application requests some additional information not included in the AMCAS application and invites you to share your thoughts in essay form about topics that will help us understand you better. You will find our supplemental application at:
http://pritzker.bsd.uchicago.edu/sap2002

The Committee on Admissions will consider your application when it is complete. At that time, the admissions staff and the Committee will do everything possible to expedite the review your application, though our careful, thorough process does take some time. If the Committee is favorable, you will be invited to the University of Chicago for a day of interviews, information, and conversation. A complete application consists of:

A verified AMCAS application (sent to us by AMCAS about 3-4 weeks after you submit it).

MCAT scores (sent to us with your AMCAS application if you took the April or a prior exam. Sent to us by AMCAS in October if you took the August exam).

A completed supplemental application.

Letters of evaluation.

If you are applying to one of the combined degree programs, a complete application will also include one of the following. They too, are available on the website indicated above:

MSTP application, or MAS application.

Please note that the deadline for completion of your application is December 1, 2001. For timely consideration by the Committee on Admissions, we strongly urge that you see to the completion of your application well in advance of the deadline. The Committee on Admissions makes offers of acceptance on a rolling basis beginning in October and continuing until the class is filled as candidates are interviewed.

We are glad that you have chosen to apply to Pritzker and we are committed to doing what we can to smooth out the rough spots that are bound to occur in any transition to a new way of doing things. We welcome you to our application process and we look forward to working with you as you progress with your application. Please accept our best wishes for your success.

R. Eric Lombard, Ph.D.
Associate Dean for Admissions and Financial Aid

Sylvia Robertson
Assistant Dean for Admissions and Financial Aid

Members don't see this ad.

Here are the fun little questions we get to deal with too :)
Wow, they even want your SAT scores! haha...never thought I would have a use for those again :(
1. Relate an experience in which you felt you truly helped someone
2. What did you learn from the research (if pursued) you did (paraphrased...)that makes it worth recommending to others.
3. Tell us about a challenging situation and how you handled it. In your response, tell us about coping skills you called upon to resolve the dilemma and the main person you sought advice from.
4. Most persons have a system of values and beliefs which they live on from day to day. What influences have been particularly important to you.
optional: additional space for whatever you may need to add.

Okay, so it looks like this is going to be tons of fun! I have no clue how to write these essays except I have a slight clue on the research one....have fun everyone! Love to hear others opinions on these topics.
Eric

All,

These UChicago questions are pretty annoying. We should all write that an experience we have had difficulty coping with is our AMCAS experience. Three cheers for Einstein Med, which has no extra essays!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do they ask for your ACT? My ACT sucked A$$ and I'm afraid it'll hurt my application. Also, I have some CC work. How does Pritzker feel about having some of the pre-reqs done at a CC? I'm currently attending a private college with a great reputation with medical schools. Most, if not all of the medical schools I've contacted said that my CC work is fine, but I'm curious if Pritzker feels the same way. I haven't really considered the school until recently, so I don't know much about the school and it's admissions practices.

Thanks

Yep,
They want your ACT score as well...

geez.

Do I get a refund if I withdraw my application now?

ARGGGGG....i got one too and it's not pretty..man those are very detailed questions?...hwat if you never had a difficult or challenging situation that deserves attetion at this level?...

Originally posted by BrazilMed:
•ARGGGGG....i got one too and it's not pretty..man those are very detailed questions?...hwat if you never had a difficult or challenging situation that deserves attetion at this level?...•

Basically, they are trying to test our creativity.

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo:
•Yep,
They want your ACT score as well...•

Actually, if you never took the ACTs, you can submit your SAT Is. I live in CA, so I've never had to deal with the ACT thing.

The questions you posted are the exact same questions on the application last year, except the deadline was Jan. 5th or something, not Dec. 5th. (Ok, so I'm somewhat a deadline queen) Good luck with the questions, they're kinda fun, except the "research" question since I haven't had any when I applied. :eek: At the interview, they told us that of the 6000ish applicants, only 3000ish complete the secondaries (probably because of the questions), and they interview about 600 students. So your chances are actually pretty good! :) Best of luck with the application process. Cheers.

Oopsies, I forgot to add that the admissions committee is looking for well-rounded people when they decide on whom they grant interviews to and whom they accept. Make sure you are "well-rounded", whatever that may be. Also, look for typos and grammatical mistakes in their letters to you...they make lots of mistakes and I think it's hilarious (in a funny, not mocking their writing kinda way).
:)

So do we actually have to get the collegeboard to send our SAT scores to them?

Originally posted by moo:
•So do we actually have to get the collegeboard to send our SAT scores to them?•

Um, when I applied, no. I think they just asked for it on top of one of the forms (you just have to type it in). Obviously they are using the honor code, and I don't see why anyone would purposely misinform the admissions committee...it's not like you can lie. They can always check your scores if they suspect something is wrong or weird. Good luck! :)

I too got the Pritzker email today. I'm not too excited about the essays, but I'm glad that I have the chance to complete it this summer when I have nothing more pressing to do than lie on the beach.

I don't know how many of you are Hotmail users, but as for me, the email came with subject "none" with a woman's name as the address. I was waiting for it all day before I found it--it came to my bulk mail folder--and I was about to delete it unread thinking that it was spam! :cool: