email or call program for interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nellinola

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize if this is repetitive in the anesthesia forums...tried to find a similar thread.

Just wondering if anyone has called or emailed a program they're interested in if they have not yet received an interview.

Do you think its better to email or call? also, who do you talk to?

the coordinator - i'd imagine this is who you'd talk to if you called.

who is best to contact? especially if its via email and you can directly contact the program director or someone like that.

thanks for the advice!
-nn

Members don't see this ad.

I apologize if this is repetitive in the anesthesia forums...tried to find a similar thread.

Just wondering if anyone has called or emailed a program they're interested in if they have not yet received an interview.

Do you think its better to email or call? also, who do you talk to?

the coordinator - i'd imagine this is who you'd talk to if you called.

who is best to contact? especially if its via email and you can directly contact the program director or someone like that.

thanks for the advice!
-nn

I called and emailed last year to programs that I was very interested in. Got the interview within 3 days.:thumbup:

thanks for responding!

did you usually email or call the coordinators or one of the PD's (i.e. the person who makes the decisions)?

-nn

Members don't see this ad :)
I called a program I was really interested and got an interview. Actually ended up matching there :thumbup:

Oh, and the person I spoke with was the department secretary who was coordinating all the interviews.

I'm just wondering when you would call the programs? Should we wait until after the Dean's letter goes out?
Thanks!

if the school you're interested in is listed there, then they have started sending out invites so you should call/email. However if nobody as gotten interviews yet, you probably should wait til post Nov 1

What exactly do you say?

I suggest a note to them that goes something like this:

I like you, do you like me? Check yes or no.

___ yes ___no

Reactions: 1 user
I called and emailed last year to programs that I was very interested in. Got the interview within 3 days.:thumbup:

How did you go about asking? Pretend to check up on status of applications, flat out ask for an interview, just express your interest and hope they catch the hint?

just call and say I am very interested in your program and was hoping to get an interview and hadn't heard from you yet..... just the simple truth ;-)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest a note to them that goes something like this:

I like you, do you like me? Check yes or no.

___ yes ___no

I said that I will work for pennies, never complain, take extra calls, will never take sick days, baby sit the staff's kids, wash the Program Director's car, etc. :cool:

hehe jk. just tell them that you are very interested and make yourself available for "ANY" interview date. go the extra mile.

Last edited:
yeah but isn't it way too early to start freaking out about not getting an interview and calling/emailing programs to show your interest? the MSPE isn't even out yet and there's more than one wave of interview invities that's sent out. Or is calling after the MSPE comes out too late?

It prolly works best after rejections go out and people start cancelling, leaving the program without much to lose. I forget when that is, but I'm guessing it's still early.

i guess it is early but i'm caught in a scheduling dilemma. i'm going to a certain big city in mid-november already for an interview with program A, and i haven't heard back yet from program B in that same city. if i wait until after nov 1st for MSPEs to go out, i'm cutting it close for booking airline tickets. also, it'll be less likely that program B has available slots for the exact date i want. oy veh, what a headache.

It prolly works best after rejections go out and people start cancelling, leaving the program without much to lose. I forget when that is, but I'm guessing it's still early.

thanks. i'll probably start calling a few weeks after the MSPE comes out. hopefully however, i won't have to call and my awesome MSPE will generate some interview invites. Everyone says that Oct. is the month you hear about interviews however I haven't heard jack this month, no rejections no invites. Oh well my 1st interview is coming up this week so we'll see how that goes, i might not need any more invites if all goes by plan. :luck::luck::luck::xf::xf::xf:

I would keep this in mind if you haven't already seen it:

Attachments

• slots2.JPG
    slots2.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 523
What should really mention in the request email?
email the pd or the pc?
and attach any file or just mention your AAMC id?

I wrote UPENN to ask for an update on my application last cycle (late November) and stressed that I was interested (strong Pediatric component, I was from Philly with family there etc.) I got offered an interview 2 days later (my last offer of the year). Ended up ranking them 4th...so in the end wasn't a huge deal. But I would say try a similar approach if come late November its clear the programs have sent out a bunch of letters and you haven't heard. In this day of everyone applying to 40 programs, I think some programs want to know you are not 'shot gunning' when you apply there.

So received an interview invite via thalamus but all the dates are full? So i signed up for a waitlist? What is the point of sending an interview invite if they are full already? Has anyone heard of people from last year not getting to interview because of this? Aka is a spot eventually gunna open up? Confused...

So received an interview invite via thalamus but all the dates are full? So i signed up for a waitlist? What is the point of sending an interview invite if they are full already? Has anyone heard of people from last year not getting to interview because of this? Aka is a spot eventually gunna open up? Confused...

So you'd rather have no chance at an interview rather than a small chance. Got it.

So you'd rather have no chance at an interview rather than a small chance. Got it.
Oops just realized I posted this on wrong thread, sorry, but since I got a reply what I mean by it is, why didn't they send me a waitlist email like other schools do instead of sending me an invite email to then later find out on thalmus that all spots are full. Seemed like a cruel tease...