Emailing Admissions asking about Status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

r2med

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know admissions offices are extremely busy and I also know that if a school has gotten to my file and made a decision on whether to offer an II or not, they will notify me. However, even for those with acceptances from some schools, the wait to hear from others is agonizing.

Though it is not a usual practice to email the admissions office asking about status, I would like to seek honest opinions on what may be the outcomes/consequences of sending such an email.

The outcomes I can think of are:

(a) Admissions Office ignores the email
(b) Admissions Office sends a generic response saying something like - if you are selected, you will be notified, blah blah blah
(c) Admissions Office actually looks at the file and sends a personal response
(d) Admissions Office opens the file marks it as "do not consider because this applicant asked for his/her status"

Humble request: Please DO NOT reply if the only response you have to offer is rude or demeaning or derogatory. Thank you all very much in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

They will likely give you a generic response that gives no real information. I don't think it will necessarily hurt you, but it's certainly not going to do much for you.

They are extremely busy. Please don't bother them.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I know admissions offices are extremely busy and I also know that if a school has gotten to my file and made a decision on whether to offer an II or not, they will notify me. However, even for those with acceptances from some schools, the wait to hear from others is agonizing.

Though it is not a usual practice to email the admissions office asking about status, I would like to seek honest opinions on what may be the outcomes/consequences of sending such an email.

The outcomes I can think of are:

(a) Admissions Office ignores the email
(b) Admissions Office sends a generic response saying something like - if you are selected, you will be notified, blah blah blah
(c) Admissions Office actually looks at the file and sends a personal response
(d) Admissions Office opens the file marks it as "do not consider because this applicant asked for his/her status"

Humble request: Please DO NOT reply if the only response you have to offer is rude or demeaning or derogatory. Thank you all very much in advance.

b

As I tell all applicants, Everyone starts as unaccepted (rejected). a medical school is deciding to admit or not. Since you already are unaccepted, there is no reason or requirement that a medical notify you of anything other than interview invite or admission. Indeed many schools will never formally notify applicants of rejection.
Thank you. But the question is should an applicant contact the admissions office asking about the status?

Thank you. But the question is should an applicant contact the admissions office asking about the status?
Honestly there is no benefit to do this, besides wanting to quell curiosity. It won't do anything for you, but it could harm your application on the off chance it ticks the admissions office off. Its unlikely, but why take the risk?

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
No. And frankly if memory serves me many many schools say in your complete email or in the portal not to contact them for this reason.

• Love
You got 5 IIs homie you're chilling. I would not email admissions for this reason ever.

No. If anything, it will flag you as a someone to avoid. And med schools, who get anything from 5000-15000 apps, are always looking for a reason to cull the herd.

The ability to delay gratification is required for this process. I'm not trying to be salty or rude, just giving you helpful and realistic advice. Stay busy and always work on Plan B.

No. If anything, it will flag you as a someone to avoid. And med schools, who get anything from 5000-15000 apps, are always looking for a reason to cull the herd.

The ability to delay gratification is required for this process. I'm not trying to be salty or rude, just giving you helpful and realistic advice. Stay busy and always work on Plan B.
Thanks. Talking to a hiring manager friend, I was told that hiring managers like candidates contacting them during the process and if they had many candidates in the pipeline and one candidate showed interest, they are likely to favor that candidate. Do admissions officers look at it totally differently and feel it as an annoyance? Wondering why would that be?

Thanks. Talking to a hiring manager friend, I was told that hiring managers like candidates contacting them during the process and if they had many candidates in the pipeline and one candidate showed interest, they are likely to favor that candidate. Do admissions officers look at it totally differently and feel it as an annoyance? Wondering why would that be?
Hiring managers have maybe 20 candidates and that is all they do. Admissions committee members are physicians, professors, all on top of also reviewing upwards of 13k apps. Plus, most schools specifically say not to contact them for this.

• Love
Do admissions officers look at it totally differently and feel it as an annoyance? Wondering why would that be?
It would appear that we do.
We have a budget for staff. If staff is distracted, they get less work done.
Right now we don't even have work study students!

Reactions: 3 users
Admissions is nothing like the hiring process for a job, other than your having to dress professionally during an interview.