Emailing English professors randomly - to take a look at PS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bozz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've never had a class with a prof. from the English department. I'm getting a guy from the Econ/Int'l Studies to look at my PS. However, it'd be nice if someone could comment on the technicalities. I just emailed an English prof randomly and she basically asked me to ask the "Writing Center."

I'm going to keep trying with other profs. to see what they say. :thumbup: or :thumbdown: idea

Members don't see this ad.

No point, adcoms aren't looking for exceptionally strong writing. If you're just looking for grammatical mistakes, the writing center is more than enough.

I've never had a class with a prof. from the English department. I'm getting a guy from the Econ/Int'l Studies to look at my PS. However, it'd be nice if someone could comment on the technicalities. I just emailed an English prof randomly and she basically asked me to ask the "Writing Center."

I'm going to keep trying with other profs. to see what they say. :thumbup: or :thumbdown: idea

:thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
English professors are *****s. DO NOT ASK THEM FOR ADVICE.

SERIOUSLY.

Take it to them, and if they suggest stupid changes, ignore them. You've got nothing to lose besides a little time. I definitely would not contact a professor (or anyone else, for that matter) who I didn't know to edit my paper if that person wasn't specifically offering a paper/PS editing service.

And? Just because they're students doesn't mean that they don't know what they're talking about, especially if you're only looking for technicalities. My guess is they're English majors, so, unless the English department at your sucks, they'll know what they're talking about.

The writing center isn't a bad idea, really.

there's a few PS readers here.

why would profs from the english dept who dont even know you agree to read your PS? youre delusional, they're not a free editing service. if i were them, id blast you just for asking.

why would profs from the english dept who dont even know you agree to read your PS? youre delusional, they're not a free editing service. if i were them, id blast you just for asking.
Can't really hurt though.

It's actually not uncommon for teachers to try to help students. I wouldn't be suprised if there were even some english teachers who enjoy helping people with english.

Use the writing center. You stand a better chance for immediate feedback, and you might not irritate the faculty in the process (personally I get a little irked when somebody I don't know wants me to look over something for which they have other resources).