Emailing POI while wait listed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tara15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was informed exactly a week ago by the DCT of my top choice that I was placed on the wait-list but that I am rather high on it. I emailed him back saying the program was still my top choice for several reasons but mainly because my research interests are aligned with that of my POI. While my POI was cc'ed in those emails, I never really emailed her directly. I really would like to maintain contact with her throughout this waiting process because she would be able to give me a better idea of what my chances are..I am also considering reapplying to work with her next year in case this does not work out so emailing her may help me establish a relationship with her and improve my chances next year. What are your thoughts on contacting her? Should I call or email? How long should I wait before contacting her? Your advice and opinions are very much needed!

Members don't see this ad.

The advice I got several weeks ago was to just wait it out and not give her any reason to doubt you'd be a good choice. Just lay low for now and if things don't work out and you get a rejection, then contact her and express your continued interest in the program and her lab and then maybe start to build a relationship by asking more about her research or talking about ideas. I know it's that hardest thing ever to wait, but it could end on a positive note, so stay hopeful. Do you have any other offers?

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your insight! I do have another offer from a program that I like..only problem is it is not funded so I am strongly considering letting go of it and waiting another year. The waiting really is frustrating. I just started working on a paper that is SO relevant to my POI's area of research and I feel the need to tell her. I know she can't do anything at this point but also wait to hear from the person who got the offer. If anything, this experience is teaching me SO MUCH about self-control (and how difficult it is)!