emailing program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

graddoc2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
when should be the best time to start emailing the program for interest in their program or it doesnt make a differance if we email or not

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

At some point after you see them sending out invites and you haven't gotten one, which is specialty dependent. I wouldn't start thinking about sending e-mails, if you're going to do it at all, until at least mid-October. Later in the season (December) programs that haven't outright rejected you may be receptive to an e-mail confirming your interest if you'll be willing to take a slot that someone else has cancelled.

Reactions: 1 user
Generally if you haven't received a rejection email, then you're still in the game. Some programs have a "maybe" pile that they'll invite for an interview in case someone backs out.

Tip: Don't bother emailing chief residents if you haven't received an interview invite. When I was chief I kept getting emails about considering them for an interview. I deleted them right away. 1) It's not in my power and 2) We'll invite you when we'll invite you...or not.

Generally if you haven't received a rejection email, then you're still in the game. Some programs have a "maybe" pile that they'll invite for an interview in case someone backs out.

Tip: Don't bother emailing chief residents if you haven't received an interview invite. When I was chief I kept getting emails about considering them for an interview. I deleted them right away. 1) It's not in my power and 2) We'll invite you when we'll invite you...or not.
thanks for the insight, I was also wondering last match I had couple interviews, is it okay for me to email the PC or PD and letting then know how I have my CV from last match or could this lead to an automatic rejection