Embryology and Anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QuesoAndFromage

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize if this question is a bit silly, but Ive heard many times that embryology can help someone to really understand and remember anatomy better. However, when looking at embryology I cannot see the connection besides the very obvious. Is there a way to approach studying embryology in regards to better understanding anatomy that I can try?

Members don't see this ad.

I apologize if this question is a bit silly, but Ive heard many times that embryology can help someone to really understand and remember anatomy better. However, when looking at embryology I cannot see the connection besides the very obvious. Is there a way to approach studying embryology in regards to better understanding anatomy that I can try?

I don't think it will help so much in terms of memorizing anatomy of the extremities, but its helpful in learning the innervations of the head and neck from branchial arches and cardiovascular anatomy. Its utility is limited, of course. Nothing is going to save you from the brute memorization of anatomy.

Embryology is a very low-yield subject. Focus more on the congenital defects and don't waste time looking at the embryology pictures.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to say that no, embryo doesn't help with anatomy. yes, it explains stuff (dermatome levels, organization of the gut, innervations, etc.) but it's not like it's going to make it EASIER to memorize the clusterf*** that is anatomy.

They combine anatomy with embryo where I'm at, and I can honestly say that the course would've been so much better without the B.S. development that has no clinical/board significance.

I'm going to say that no, embryo doesn't help with anatomy. yes, it explains stuff (dermatome levels, organization of the gut, innervations, etc.) but it's not like it's going to make it EASIER to memorize the clusterf*** that is anatomy.

They combine anatomy with embryo where I'm at, and I can honestly say that the course would've been so much better without the B.S. development that has no clinical/board significance.

Embryo wouldn't be bad if there were baller ass videos for everything. Cross sections are confusing as crap

Can you explain this a bit more? Isn't embyo tested on Step 1?

They combine anatomy and embryo at my school, too, and I've been feeling guilty because I've completely ignored it. I'm sure that cost me a few points on the midterm, but I felt like I had enough **** to cram into my head without adding embryo to it. Now I'm just worried that I'm going to have to play some heavy catch up next year to learn all the stuff I'm supposed to be doing now...

Can you explain this a bit more? Isn't embyo tested on Step 1?

They combine anatomy and embryo at my school, too, and I've been feeling guilty because I've completely ignored it. I'm sure that cost me a few points on the midterm, but I felt like I had enough **** to cram into my head without adding embryo to it. Now I'm just worried that I'm going to have to play some heavy catch up next year to learn all the stuff I'm supposed to be doing now...

Take a look at First Aid. Yes there's embryo, but it's very small portion. The most important parts are related to abnormalities (like heart abnormalities), which will probably be covered in path in year 2.

Embryo wouldn't be bad if there were baller ass videos for everything. Cross sections are confusing as crap

I totally agree with this, wow. I can't believe how many times I said this exact thing to myself. Some books actually make development HARDER to understand, rather than easier. I remember persaud made cardio development stupid confusing.

moar gifs/youtoob plz

I don't think embryology started to really line up with anatomy until we got to the abdomen/thorax section... that seemed to really line up pretty well...

All the stuff in the beginning bilaminar/trilaminar disc really didn't help much... not to mention how confusing it was for me.

Take a look at First Aid. Yes there's embryo, but it's very small portion. The most important parts are related to abnormalities (like heart abnormalities), which will probably be covered in path in year 2.

QFT. I really for the life of me don't understand why they teach us embryo in such depth.

Focus more on the congenital defects and don't waste time looking at the embryology pictures.
g.php

How do you all expect to understand congenital anomalies, all of which have their origins in malformations of development, if you don't understand the basics of human development? How do you think you're going to make effective surgical repairs on a fetus or neonate if you don't understand how the tissue is supposed to grow?

How do you all expect to understand congenital anomalies, all of which have their origins in malformations of development, if you don't understand the basics of human development? How do you think you're going to make effective surgical repairs on a fetus or neonate if you don't understand how the tissue is supposed to grow?

lets take anencephaly, for example. Do I need to know that sonic hedgehog coming from the notocord goes to the ventral aspect of the neural tube to cause the induction of the basal plate, while bone morphogenic protein induces the alar plate to form, in order to understand that there was a stupid tube that didn't close at the top?

What percent of doctors do you think do surgeries on neonates?

lets take anencephaly, for example. Do I need to know that sonic hedgehog coming from the notocord goes to the ventral aspect of the neural tube to cause the induction of the basal plate, while bone morphogenic protein induces the alar plate to form, in order to understand that there was a stupid tube that didn't close at the top?

Pt: So what does that mean doctor?

Doc: What?

Pt: You said all that stuff. Will any of it help my baby?

Doc: Oh....well....No. Your kid doesn't have a brain. We can't do anything about that. I had to memorized all that crap so I thought I'd share it with you, but...umm...yeah.... your baby is probably going to die before it is born and if it survives to birth it is going to look freaky and then die shortly after. I hope you found that embryological basis for why your child is going to die comforting.

Pt: [tears]

Pt: So what does that mean doctor?

Doc: What?

Pt: You said all that stuff. Will any of it help my baby?

Doc: Oh....well....No. Your kid doesn't have a brain. We can't do anything about that. I had to memorized all that crap so I thought I'd share it with you, but...umm...yeah.... your baby is probably going to die before it is born and if it survives to birth it is going to look freaky and then die shortly after. I hope you found that embryological basis for why your child is going to die comforting.

Pt: [tears]

This is partly true. The key is, when individuals have minor malformations instead of extreme ones, then knowing the embryology and anatomy helps because you can determine a course of treatment.

Also, doctors advance treatments. After working with certain areas for years, it's quite possible you could have an idea that could revolutionize the treatment of a disease. This through process can only come from understanding the science behind the clinical presentation. If you just had surface understanding and a clinical "see this, do that" level of knowledge, it's unlikely that you could really think through medical problems. You can just open a book and follow steps. Which is the difference between good physicians and midlevel providers.

I agree embryology is low yield, but knowing the basics is important as a physician (depending on your specialty).

I would be interested to know how many neonatologists really remember embryology.

I would be interested to know how many neonatologists really remember embryology.

Hopefully most. If your dealing with diseases and you don't understand how they came about, there is no reason to train as long as a physician does. The individuals who support NPs taking over physicians roles in these instances have a compelling argument. If we just follow a protocol, why go to medical school.