Embryology question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littlebittyjk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm using the ADA's outline while studying for the DAT. In the Bio section, it has "experimental embryology" listed under the Developmental Biology section. Does anyone know what this is referring to??

Members don't see this ad.

i believe that's referring to experimentation on the embryo; like different areas and how that would affect development of that embryo. had a question like this on my dat today

Yeah, interesting enough I was looking and mapping out the study guide provided by the ADA and was wondering about this as well..
I did a bit of research on it and I'm guessing MAINLY they're looking for info related to in vitro embryo production, freezing embryos, RNA isolation, reverse transcription PCR, DNA gel electorphoresis, ES cell culture and differentiation and that's it i'm guessing.

Members don't see this ad :)
maybe like the lining of the bladder comes from
A. ectoderm
B. endoderm
C. mesoderm

?

maybe like the lining of the bladder comes from
A. ectoderm
B. endoderm
C. mesoderm

?

I have seen a lot of questions similar to this stating if there was an abnormality in the lining of the bladder in the embryo, this would arise from the
A. ectoderm
B. endoderm
C. mesoderm

There can also be questions like

A mutation in the embryonic mesoderm can effect which of the following
A. Heart
B. Epidermis
C. Skeletal Muscle
D. Connective Tissue
E. Blood Vessels

yea my question was regarding taking out one of the proteins that makes up a fertilization membrane or something along those lines and how it would affect the fertilized offspring.

yea my question was regarding taking out one of the proteins that makes up a fertilization membrane or something along those lines and how it would affect the fertilized offspring.

its the answer to this is: without a fertilization memb., polyspermy would occur and therefore will result in a inviable zygote?

I have seen a lot of questions similar to this stating if there was an abnormality in the lining of the bladder in the embryo, this would arise from the
A. ectoderm
B. endoderm
C. mesoderm

There can also be questions like

A mutation in the embryonic mesoderm can effect which of the following
A. Heart
B. Epidermis
C. Skeletal Muscle
D. Connective Tissue
E. Blood Vessels

yea the DAT definitely will ask AT LEAST one question about embryology and usually, it's about the 3 layers of the gastrula (ecto, endo, or mesoderm) they're usually straight forward questions since each one is responsible for developing into specific parts of the body.

I also remember questions (don't know if it was actual DAT or practice) talking about different stages of development from fertilization to a fetus...and then different parts of the fetus as well.

Hope that helps.