SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Embryology question

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by littlebittyjk, Jun 2, 2008.

1. littlebittyjk

littlebittyjk 2+ Year Member

May 13, 2008
    So I'm using the ADA's outline while studying for the DAT. In the Bio section, it has "experimental embryology" listed under the Developmental Biology section. Does anyone know what this is referring to??
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. userah

userah 7+ Year Member

Aug 9, 2007
    i believe that's referring to experimentation on the embryo; like different areas and how that would affect development of that embryo. had a question like this on my dat today
  4. Sea of ASH

Sea of ASH 2+ Year Member

Sep 15, 2007
    really? like what could they ask?
  5. DDSguyLA

DDSguyLA 2+ Year Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Yeah, interesting enough I was looking and mapping out the study guide provided by the ADA and was wondering about this as well..
    I did a bit of research on it and I'm guessing MAINLY they're looking for info related to in vitro embryo production, freezing embryos, RNA isolation, reverse transcription PCR, DNA gel electorphoresis, ES cell culture and differentiation and that's it i'm guessing.
  6. ak47

ak47 flossy flossy 5+ Year Member

Apr 8, 2007
    the midwest
    maybe like the lining of the bladder comes from
    A. ectoderm
    B. endoderm
    C. mesoderm

7. DentalDeac

DentalDeac 2+ Year Member

May 28, 2008
    Alexandria, VA
    I have seen a lot of questions similar to this stating if there was an abnormality in the lining of the bladder in the embryo, this would arise from the
    A. ectoderm
    B. endoderm
    C. mesoderm

There can also be questions like

A mutation in the embryonic mesoderm can effect which of the following
    A. Heart
    B. Epidermis
    C. Skeletal Muscle
    D. Connective Tissue
    E. Blood Vessels
  8. userah

userah 7+ Year Member

Aug 9, 2007
    yea my question was regarding taking out one of the proteins that makes up a fertilization membrane or something along those lines and how it would affect the fertilized offspring.
  9. faerielynx

faerielynx 2+ Year Member

Aug 26, 2007
    its the answer to this is: without a fertilization memb., polyspermy would occur and therefore will result in a inviable zygote?
  10. DCRedskinsRule

DCRedskinsRule 7+ Year Member

May 27, 2008

yea the DAT definitely will ask AT LEAST one question about embryology and usually, it's about the 3 layers of the gastrula (ecto, endo, or mesoderm) they're usually straight forward questions since each one is responsible for developing into specific parts of the body.

I also remember questions (don't know if it was actual DAT or practice) talking about different stages of development from fertilization to a fetus...and then different parts of the fetus as well.

Hope that helps.