embryology questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thebillsfan

Unseasoned Veteran
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've tried looking this up, but am having trouble differentiating whats important and what isnt important to know. so here goes

what's the relationship between neural tube, neural plate, notochord, and nerve cord? which is part of which embryonic germ layer? which induces which? of the ones that arise in the ectoderm, which comes first and last?

is the following the correct sequence: zygote, cleavage leading to morula, blastulation leading to blastula, gastrulation leading to gastrula (with a blastopore which eventually forms the anus in vertebrates). gastrulation gives rise to embryonic germ layers, and then organogenesis occurs. is that straight?

when does it go from being called an embryo to a fetus?

whats the diff between a blastocyst and blastocoel? also, when does the trophoblast and innercell mass come into play.

thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

neural tube/plate = ectoderm
notocord = mesoderm

the other details you ask are more detailed than necessary

you are generally correct with the timeline

embryo/fetus distinction is kind of vague but i'd imagine it's after neurulation.. not going to be tested.

blastocyst = cells of blastula

trophoblast = various extraembryonic membranes & placenta
ICM = every cell in body (this is where you get e-stem cells)

alright, if the other details are unnecessary, could you just confirm that the neural tube gives rise to the CNS? and what parts of the eye are ectoderm and mesoderm? I know that the retina and all that stuff is ecto, and i wouldve thought the the lens is ecto as well since its part of the eye but i think i read that the lens and everything anterior to the lens is meso

alright, if the other details are unnecessary, could you just confirm that the neural tube gives rise to the CNS? and what parts of the eye are ectoderm and mesoderm? I know that the retina and all that stuff is ecto, and i wouldve thought the the lens is ecto as well since its part of the eye but i think i read that the lens and everything anterior to the lens is meso

yes. surprisingly, the neural tube gives rise to neurons =). the eye thing is getting pretty detailed...

Members don't see this ad :)