Emergency Evacuation Bag for Pets - Do You Have One?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor-S

Clinical & Research PhD-MD who is feline fine!
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In a crisis situation such as a flood, fire, hurricane or earthquake, and you needed to evacuate somewhere else with your pet, do you have a "bug-out" bag for your pet? What have you packed for them?

For my cat:

1. I have a cat carrier, with a cat harness-leash, identification information (including pet photo and contact information), and my pet's vaccination record conveniently tucked under the cushion in the cat carrier (inside a sealed plastic bag). A small cozy cat blanket is also conveniently tucked under the cushion, as well as several flat gallon plastic zip bags. The cat carrier is readily accessible, at all times.

2. A small metal identification tag is securely fastened to the side of the cat carrier. The metal tag provides vital information about my cat, including her microchip number and her veterinarian's telephone number.

* If you have to shelter in a "human-only/no-pets-allowed" location ... or if you become injured or separated from your pet which occurs much more often than people imagine, other people (including first responders and aid workers) can identify your pet, based on your pet's emergency information, or the metal identification tag, and your pet's microchip. This means you and your pet can be reunited; and your pet's veterinarian can be notified about the status/location of your pet, if no one can find you.

* If you do not keep a copy of your pet's current vaccination record with your cat's bug-out bag, you can contact your veterinarian to obtain that information, by telephone, email, internet log-in, or text message, or whatever else is available (depending on the nature and extent of the emergency, and assuming lines of communication are open). Where I live, many veterinary offices provide that information on their client's websites.

3. I also have a portable supply of canned cat food, cat kibble, collapsible dish, disposable litter tray (with some baggies filled with litter), and water, readily accessible. So, my cat is "good to go" in an emergency situation, at all times.

In the event of a natural disaster, evacuation or an emergency, I put my cat in her cat carrier, pick up the cat's bug-out bag, and pick up my own bug-out bag, and off we go!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't have a bag, but keep their records together and it's easy to grab if we need to get out in a hurry. And have their carriers out constantly and ready to go.

All of my cats are microchipped and have collars that are bright orange. the 2 older cats have their names and numbers stitched into their collars. I will be having one made for the youngest when she's done growing.

Their food and litter are easy to grab (in portable containers). In the most recent hurricane, we grabbed a bunch of rubbermaid/tupperware containers to feed and water them and it worked great with a litter box to carry everything in

Reactions: 1 user
It’s not an evac kit, but my Agility trial kit would work if needed. Two folding crates, plus tote of leashes, long lines, bowls, extra bags, towels, reflective/cooling blankets/ pads, bright orange vest vest, hiking backpack, gallon jug of water. Would just need to add some food.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't have one. Probably should make one. I do have my cat's carrier out at all times so that'd be easy enough to grab and her bag of food is next to that and has a ziploc on it, so could just grab that.

The desert tends to remain fairly boring weather wise, but never a bad idea to be prepared.

I don't have anything official, but I do keep my dog's medical records in my email and printed in a folder that I keep inside his empty airline carrier. I have a 'dog supply' tote that has extra leashes, shampoos, medicines, bowls, etc that I could in theory grab if I only had minutes to evacuate. I buy small bags of food that reseals with a zipper so I could grab that within minutes as well. Plus he is microchipped, wears a collar with tags, and his harness also has a separate set of tags.

I had one when I lived in California; kept it right next to the earthquake bag and had very similar contents to what you're describing, @Doctor-S !

Not nearly as many natural disaster risks where I am now, though we still have water, cat food, and a bit of litter stashed near the carrier, and (some) records in the carrier.

Mother Nature can strike anywhere ... and at any time.

Earthquake Cat.jpg

Earthquake Dog1.jpg

Last edited: