EMERGENCY! I HAVE TO TAKE SEPT MCAT!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babyelephant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have not studied at all.. took a practice test and got a 470 or something hella low..
I have to take the sept 23 test.. and I do not know what to do...

I am applying to pod schools.. I just need 390... and do the application asap when I get my score and I can still get into pod schools no problem.. given i get a 390...

Please tell me where to begin..

Please give me a plan or a sense of direction in studying.. I have no idea. I am weak on all subjects...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It seems like the best plan would to not take the MCAT in september and to not apply this cycle.
If you don't want to reschedule because of cost: the cost of a failed application cycle is more than the cost of rescheduling the MCAT
If you don't want to reschedule because you are applying this cycle: a september MCAT date will have you applying very late to schools which will most likely hurt you admission chances, in addition to the low MCAT score

Reactions: 1 users
I have not studies at all.. took a practice test and got a 470 or something hella low..
I have to take the sept 23 test.. and I do not know
where to begin..

Please give me a plan or a sense of direction in studying.. I have no idea. I am weak on all subjects..

Yeah that is not enough time to get strong on all the topics that the MCAT covers. I would highly advise applying next cycle because applying with one good MCAT will be much better than one bad and one good one later. Plus, a September MCAT is very late for the cycle anyway so it's almost not worth taking it regardless

It seems like the best plan would to not take the MCAT in september and to not apply this cycle.
If you don't want to reschedule because of cost: the cost of a failed application cycle is more than the cost of rescheduling the MCAT
If you don't want to reschedule because you are applying this cycle: a september MCAT date will have you applying very late to schools which will most likely hurt you admission chances, in addition to the low MCAT score

Not late for DO schools.

But yeah, OP- delay it.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't have a strong foundation in all subjects - then it's better to change plans and study, study, study for next cycle. Unfortunately our brains are not USB-flash sticks - you can't just load into it all of MCAT knowledge in 2 months.

Reactions: 1 user
I am applying to pod... so need to apply right now ... just need to get 490

Last edited:
Don't do it unless you can really study.
You have ~2 months, but you need a plan now.
Your ap will be quite late, so you need to kill it to stand out.
Seems like a bad idea.
Good point... not late for DO
If you don't have a strong foundation in all subjects - then it's better to change plans and study, study, study for next cycle. Unfortunately our brains are not USB-flash sticks - you can't just load into it all of MCAT knowledge in 2 months.

i am applying to pod.. i just need a 490.. got good gpa.. so I have 2 months... nothing else going on... to get that 490.. i need a plan.. or something

Last edited:
Tbh I've learned faster doing 2-3 TBR practice passages per chapter, then as I review the correct and incorrect answers, do light chapter reading. After, I do 2-3 passages a day going through every subject so the content is refresh in my mind. I tend to do this when I can't focus on reading a full chapter and just want to get the basic ideas down. May not be ideal for everyone but see if it works for you too.

I am applying to pod... so need to apply right now ... just need to get 490
Sorry, I assumed you were premed. I am not familiar with the podiatry school application process, so you may disregard my post to defer to someone with more knowledge in this area.

Sorry, I assumed you were premed. I am not familiar with the podiatry school application process, so you may disregard my post to defer to someone with more knowledge in this area.
I do need ur advice on how to get a 490.. i need a method.. some kind of tip... pretend i was still premed.. lol nothing changes...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah it's dense, but that's why I do a couple of practice passages first because I'll learn the main ideas as I review my answers. Plus I really like how the passages and answer explanations are written in a way that can allow you to figure out how to analyze the passage and critically think rather than just solely relying on regurgitating information you have memorized, if that makes sense. I don't have experience with Princeton Review (just Psych/Soc), Kaplan, EK (just Bio) sets though so I can't compare TBR with the rest.

I do need ur advice on how to get a 490.. i need a method.. some kind of tip... pretend i was still premed.. lol nothing changes...
The study books known to be the least dense and quickest review are the Examkrackers books, these will certainly have enough material to score 490.
A common study method is to read 1 chapter a day and do the corresponding problems from that chapter, alternating subjects each day. Then after going through 1 chapter from each, doing a review day of going over material learned that week and the problems. Ex. Mon-Physics Tues-Chem Wed-Biochem Thurs-Bio Fri-Psych/Soc Sat-Review
Additionally, do a few critical analysis and reasoning skills passages every day.
Then after reviewing all of the content for the exam, do some full-length practice exams.

A 390? Are you sure? You must mean 490. A 472 is the lowest score possible. A 490 puts you in the 20th percentile. Podiatry schools use a score in the bottom 1/5 of all test takers? If so, I would say that even part time studying you could likely get a 490 with little effort, provided you have paid attention in undergrad and focus the next 6 weeks on rapid review and practice passages to get used to the MCAT style.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I have not studied at all.. took a practice test and got a 470 or something hella low..
I have to take the sept 23 test.. and I do not know what to do...

I am applying to pod schools.. I just need 390... and do the application asap when I get my score and I can still get into pod schools no problem.. given i get a 390...

Please tell me where to begin..

Please give me a plan or a sense of direction in studying.. I have no idea. I am weak on all subjects...

Hi there. If all you need is a 390 and you got a 470 isn't that good enough?

Hi there. If all you need is a 390 and you got a 470 isn't that good enough?
A 390? Are you sure? You must mean 490. A 472 is the lowest score possible. A 490 puts you in the 20th percentile. Podiatry schools use a score in the bottom 1/5 of all test takers? If so, I would say that even part time studying you could likely get a 490 with little effort, provided you have paid attention in undergrad and focus the next 6 weeks on rapid review and practice passages to get used to the MCAT style.

Good luck!

typo bros... I need a min of 490

I was earning 495s on the Kaplan Exams before any content review and I can tell you the AAMC MCAT is much easier than Kaplan. This is doable. VERY obtainable.

First: A 490 might be around the bare minimum, if your GPA is good. The 496-497 range should be around the average pod acceptance scores. Are you aware that many pod schools will still be accepting students into late Spring of next year for Fall 2016 matriculation. Check around on the pod forums, people seem to still get accepted without much trouble up through spring. Isn't there a later test date you could take so that you could have more time to study and just apply later in the cycle. Like Dreamstoo said, that's not late for DO schools and it's not late for pod schools either.

Second: I'll tell you how I studied for the old MCAT and you can take from it what you will, although I know the new MCAT has changed some content around and added some as well. I did get a 32 on the old MCAT which should be around a 511 on the new MCAT. I took the MCAT the first week of January (#oldMCAT) and I only studied for it the three months prior. Also in that time, I was taking Organic Chemistry I and I hadn't taken Organic Chemistry II or Physics II yet either so all of that was completely new to me in my studying. Also I was working 40 hours a week and was taking classes full time and I was in a band and had other commitments. Suffice it to say, I didn't have much study time either. Here are my tips:
(1) Review this and start a word document that lists every single item that they list: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/377882/data/mcat2015-content.pdf This step is super lame but also super vital. This is the test makers telling you EXACTLY what is fair game for you to be tested on. This is the same list that the test writers work off of, so this is the same list you should study off of. I made a list of all the categories and items, just as they did, and then I went through my lecture notes and my MCAT review materials and filled in information under each item, basically just putting in definitions or brief descriptions. Nothing on the MCAT will be super in depth. It is just covering basic knowledge. If you have more than a few solid sentences per item, you probably have too much info.
(2) Use a variety of source materials (e.g., ExamKrackers, Kaplan, etc.) because each source will cover subjects differently and one might explain something better than another. Also, from my experience each of these sources maybe covers like 85-90% of the potential MCAT content. Yes, some topics a source will just completely skip over. You can't trust them to cover every single thing, but if you have your handy-dandy list from step one then you will know what they didn't cover and so what you'll need to find from another source.
(3) Use a variety of study methods. Don't just read material, but actually type the most relevant information into your document from step one. Also, try something like ExamKrackers Audio Osmosis or make your own audio study clips. This will allow you to study while you work, drive, exercise, shower, etc. and the more study time the better.
(4) Find anything that will help you remember. Use every clever mnemonic you can find or make your own. Also, it will help if you can make connections between all these random facts and understand a bit of the underlying processes or maybe even the history behind a particular topic. These facts are like a puzzle. There is only one truth in science and so only one way that all the pieces of the puzzle fit together. If you have a good idea of the bigger picture each fact should trigger the memory of multiple other facts. That kind of approach will make it less like memorizing definitions and more like memorizing a story, which is FAR easier.
(5) Repetition. For audio studying, let's say through the music app on your phone, once you have a particular clip or lesson down, delete it. Once you reach the end of all your audio content or whichever specific section you're having trouble with repeat it all. Every time you go through it and delete more things you remember the list that's left over will be smaller and smaller. This will keep you from wasting time on things you already know and will force you to keep repeating the things you don't. You will just have an ever-decreasing playlist of things you don't know. Do the same with that long content list that you make. I made a copy of the document as a kind of worksheet and I read through it, retyping tougher concepts in ways easier for me to understand and deleting topics that I knew well. Every time I repeated the list I remembered more and more things and deleted more and more things and the list became a list of things I didn't know well and that list grew smaller and smaller with every repeat.
(6) Theory is good and well, but you'll need practice. Especially for the mathematics, since you'll have to remember all of your basic equations and you'll have to quickly scribble out some basic arithmetic and logarithmic calculations on scratchpaper and without a calculator. Don't waste your time practicing though until you've got a good hold of all the knowledge you'll need. The MCAT approaches questions in a pretty unique way, so you'll need to allot time to get used to their style. And once you get comfortable with their style, start timing yourself. That timer can be a bi-otch.
(7) As far as the passages, don't sweat trying to remember every single word of every single passage. It won't happen. Many of the passage associated questions you could probably answer without ever reading the passage and the rest you can probably narrow down to 50/50 with a brief read through of the passage and of course you knowledge of the content. Just look for any landmarks in the passage that might help you quickly go back and reference the passage if necessary. Unless you have robot eyes you will not have time to read any passage twice.
( 8 ) During the test take a break whenever you get a chance, even if only for a few seconds just try to clear your mind. Very soon into the test your head will feel like a block of cement, like no more information could possibly enter or exit your brain any more. This test is overwhelming. Relax as much as possible and try not to get flustered.

I'm attaching my biology study sheet for the old MCAT, not sure how helpful it might be. Sorry, it's a PDF so not editable. The only editable version I have is in OpenOffice .odt format because I wrote it on a MAC before I discovered the wonder of Google Docs, lol. If you PM me I miiiiiight be able to get you a copy of ExamKrackers Audio Osmosis, at least the version for the old MCAT. Not sure if they've made a new one yet...

Attachments

• MCAT Preparation Biology.pdf
    283.1 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Some of the MCAT skills just take time to acquire, and unfortunately you do not have that right now. Don't take it.

To be honest, I could probably score a 490 just by walking in without any content review. Like other people have said, if you paid attention in your classes and have a decent familiarity with your subjects as a result, you should be fine. Since you have good grades, this is likely the case. There are a few basics to MCAT (or any standardized testing skills for that matter) such as process of elimination, stress management, pacing, and guessing strategies. For example, if you absolutely don't know what the question is talking about and can't eliminate anything, always choose a designated guessing letter that you decide on ahead of time; always choose B, for example, if you are in this situation. If you can cross out things, try to make an educated guess based on what you know (gut feelings can be more reliable than over-thinking or second-guessing yourself). Just keep things simple and don't over-analyze everything.

HEY bro I PMED U!
Hey, the formatting on these files will probably be all jacked up because I've changed their file format a few times between .odt and .docx. The .pdf files probably aren't as bad and the biology .pdf is posted above. I don't have any notes for physics section because it was primarily equations to learn, not necessarily notes to take.

Attachments

• MCATKaplanPreparationBiology.docx
    94.6 KB · Views: 85
  • MCATKaplanPreparationChemistry.pdf
    554 KB · Views: 103
  • MCATKaplanPreparationChemistry.docx
    41.3 KB · Views: 76
  • MCATKaplanPreparationOrganicChemistry.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 74
  • MCATKaplanPreparationOrganicChemistry.docx
    72.8 KB · Views: 75

wat-if-i-told-you-wat.jpg

Wait wait wait....what?