Do i have to take the MCAT during my junior year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lapplander4353

Reaction score
Hi y'all, like the title says, do i need to take the mcat during my junior year? For context I'm currently a sophomore pre-med who currently has not completed the requirements for med school. I was planning to take the MCAT during my senior. However, I heard that if i don't take the MCAT during my junior year that I would not be accepeted. is this true?

Members don't see this ad.

No, you can take the test after you are ready even if that’s after junior year. There many students who do it during a gap year or are non-traditional and take it later than that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You should take it at least once prior to submitting your primary applications, but you don't want to take it too soon since it is only valid for 3 years. Are you planning on applying during your senior year? Do you think your application will be competitive then? Do you think you will need 1 or 2 gap years? Will you have sufficient time to dedicate to studying for the MCAT? If you score poorly, will you have the time to study more and retake it?

Take it once, well.
Do so when you are confident of a score consistent with success, however long that takes.
You do not want to be at the mercy of variable interpretations, which is what you get with multiple scores.

Take it once, well.
Do so when you are confident of a score consistent with success, however long that takes.
You do not want to be at the mercy of variable interpretations, which is what you get with multiple scores.
setting a time limit for yourself, a firm time limit, can also precipitate test prep success while zero deadlines cause success to...never precipitate.