EMERGENCY MEDICINE 2015-2016 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When you guys are contacting programs in attempts to get them to revisit your apps, are you contacting only the PD? The PD + coordinator? I am about to start sending a few emails to a few I am very interested in but haven't yet heard from.

Members don't see this ad.

When you guys are contacting programs in attempts to get them to revisit your apps, are you contacting only the PD? The PD + coordinator? I am about to start sending a few emails to a few I am very interested in but haven't yet heard from.
I emailed the coordinator if I could find them and was frequently told they forwarded it to the PD.

Reactions: 1 user
I sent an expertly crafted email to a PD today and got an ERAS message about 2 hours later indicating they were not interested. . Got things moving at least

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn the luck MadMedic...... Just out of curiosity was it Hennepin? I sent one last week and got a rejection today :-(

Damn the luck MadMedic...... Just out of curiosity was it Hennepin? I sent one last week and got a rejection today :-(

I sent an email to the coordinator 3-4 weeks ago. No acknowledgement email, invitation or rejection so far.

Here's to those moments where sometimes the only thing you and your interviewer have in common...is the fact that you are both sitting in the same room at the exact same time, nothing more...nothing less lol!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Just out of curiosity, is anyone else NOT sending any sort of thank you cards/emails after the interview? I've been to several interviews already, and I haven't sent out anything. I didn't get a chance to talk to other EM applicants about this issue, so I'm wondering what majority of you are doing.

Just out of curiosity, is anyone else NOT sending any sort of thank you cards/emails after the interview? I've been to several interviews already, and I haven't sent out anything. I didn't get a chance to talk to other EM applicants about this issue, so I'm wondering what majority of you are doing.
I sent one email and felt weird about it / didn't get a response. Haven't sent anything else since. I may send a few emails if I have any questions come up or wait and send my top 2-3 programs an email.

I was considering sending thank you's but was not quite sure how to go about it/who to send it to.

I started off sending one to each person I interviewed with. After a few interviews, I now only send one to the PD.

I have been sending emails to each person with whom I interviewed. There is some fresh research re: EM residencies (heard through a resident who has connections to the researcher, don't have the actual source) that essentially says that while thank-yous won't really help, not sending them can hurt.

For what it's worth I've had 2 PD's and 3 AP's tell me it doesn't matter at all and it won't hurt you if you don't send them. I suppose there are probably some interviewers out there who could get offended if you don't send a note, but I would think they are in the minority.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got this from LSU today via ERAS: "It is a very competitive interview season for Emergency Medicine; currently your application is on hold".

I assume this means waitlist...or just not rejected?

Got this from LSU today via ERAS: "It is a very competitive interview season for Emergency Medicine; currently your application is on hold".

They sent me a flat out rejection today. So yea? Not waitlisted, but might still consider you.

+1

+1 as well

Also received this. I'm thinking it means they think I'm awesome and are working on creating a private interview date just for me.

Reactions: 3 users
Is anyone else stuck at single digit interviews? I'm at 9. Hoping I'll match, feeling mostly confident but still I'd like a couple more.

Is anyone else stuck at single digit interviews? I'm at 9. Hoping I'll match, feeling mostly confident but still I'd like a couple more.

I am. I'll be optimistic and say we're starting the trend towards lower interview counts like the good old days.

Reactions: 2 users
LSU New Orleans has been by far the most impressive program I've interviewed at so far (more than some so-called top tier programs). They have a fancy new hospital and top of the line ultrasound/airway equipment to match.

The coordinator seemed pretty nice and would probably forward a letter of interest to the PD if you send one. Just fyi.

LSU New Orleans has been by far the most impressive program I've interviewed at so far (more than some so-called top tier programs). They have a fancy new hospital and top of the line ultrasound/airway equipment to match.

The coordinator seemed pretty nice and would probably forward a letter of interest to the PD if you send one. Just fyi.

That's great to know, thanks for the tip. I think the program I've been impressed most by is also not a "top tier" program. Just goes to show how important fit really is in this process. Further, I almost didn't apply to the program I've been most impressed by and I think that if I had received an interview from said program I would have declined it late in the season.

Reactions: 2 users
Yup. It's pretty rough. Although at 9 you have >90% chance of matching, so you should be solid and you'll probably get more anyway.

Reactions: 1 users
No offense Northwestern, but I am in no way filling out your research survey right after you reject me...

Poor form.

Reactions: 5 users
Highland did the same. "Hey we rejected you; check out our survey though!"

Did not fill out the survey but did glance at the questions it asked, and they were mostly related to the change made this year with waiting until Oct. 16th to send invites. Did this change make a difference in anyone's application experience this year?

Highland did the same. "Hey we rejected you; check out our survey though!"

Did not fill out the survey but did glance at the questions it asked, and they were mostly related to the change made this year with waiting until Oct. 16th to send invites. Did this change make a difference in anyone's application experience this year?

I responded to the survey to say waiting until later made things worse. I think the best thing all programs could to is release as many interviews as possible as early as possible, to prevent people from going on interviews they don't really want. For example, I got offered interviews at two programs that I wasn't thrilled about, but at the time, I only had 8 interviews total, so I wasn't going to turn down those invites. By the time I had enough invites that I felt comfortable turning programs down, it was 2-4 days before those interviews, so I couldn't cancel. So essentially I ended up wasting two spots for other people, because other programs waited longer to tell me I had an invite.

I responded to the survey to say waiting until later made things worse. I think the best thing all programs could to is release as many interviews as possible as early as possible, to prevent people from going on interviews they don't really want. For example, I got offered interviews at two programs that I wasn't thrilled about, but at the time, I only had 8 interviews total, so I wasn't going to turn down those invites. By the time I had enough invites that I felt comfortable turning programs down, it was 2-4 days before those interviews, so I couldn't cancel. So essentially I ended up wasting two spots for other people, because other programs waited longer to tell me I had an invite.
The whole point of waiting till the 16th was to avoid this, the problem was too many programs all released interviews before hand. It would work if EVERYONE waited until the 16th. A few programs doing it isn't going to work. It's gotta be everyone: I like the theory: actually inviting people based on a complete application not just step 1 screening numbers.

Got my 4th rejection from St. Louis today, talk about beating a fella up when he's already down lol....I get it you don't like me, message was clearly understood after the 3rd one :)

Reactions: 4 users

Same thing happened to me. Definitely went on two interviews at places that gave me invites early that I scheduled early in the season...only to receive a bunch more invites at more desirable places a few weeks later. In retrospect, since it was too late to cancel, I feel bad going on those interviews. I finally got smart and put at least one interview at a less desirable place in late January that I have since cancelled.

Random question: anyone know how long ED shifts are at Denver and/or UPenn?

I know Denver does mostly 8s, Peds are 10s but only 3-4 days those weeks. When rotating at the comunity site they do 12s. At least thats what I remember from my interview.

Got my 4th rejection from St. Louis today, talk about beating a fella up when he's already down lol....I get it you don't like me, message was clearly understood after the 3rd one :)

that's weird... are you referring to SLU?

that's weird... are you referring to SLU?
Yep lol, got 4 separate denial letters...I'm assuming it was a glitch. Maybe it's like a Double double negative where it equates to an invite, mostly likely not tho lol.

It would seem that way: I'm one of those plebeians who only got one denial

Sitting at 6 for the past several weeks, got 3 waitlist at Drexel, Arkansas and Nebraska. I think I can get up to at least 7 as I'm next in line on my day at Drexel, and hopefully I'll get in at Ark to make it 8. At least with last years data, 96% matches with at least 7 ranks.

Sitting at 6 for the past several weeks, got 3 waitlist at Drexel, Arkansas and Nebraska. I think I can get up to at least 7 as I'm next in line on my day at Drexel, and hopefully I'll get in at Ark to make it 8. At least with last years data, 96% matches with at least 7 ranks.

Are you getting this from 2014 outcomes?

So, I have been sending thank-you emails to each individual interviewer up until this point (and personalizing them based upon what we talked about), but I recently interviewed at a place that has far above the average number of interviewers (~10). I don't even remember what I talked about with a few of them (no time to write notes after some of the interviews - it was a very quick process, as you might imagine...and that's a lot of interviews to try to remember! Blurs together...). What is or would be your approach to this? Send one email to the PD only? Send an email to everyone who provided me with their contact info (which isn't on the website; I only received email addresses for half of the interviewers, and I do happen to remember some specifics from these interviews)?

Last edited:
So, I have been sending thank-you emails to each individual interviewer up until this point (and personalizing them based upon what we talked about), but I recently interviewed at a place that has far above the average number of interviewers (~10). I don't even remember what I talked about with a few of them (no time to write notes after some of the interviews - it was a very quick process, as you might imagine...and that's a lot of interviews to try to remember! Blurs together...). What is or would be your approach to this? Send one email to the PD only? Send an email to everyone who provided me with their contact info (which isn't on the website; I only received email addresses for half of the interviewers, and I do happen to remember some specifics from these interviews)?
Curious which program this was and yea, write a "SLOE" thank you and send it to the PD lol!!!

It's been awfully quiet on my end for the last 2 weeks, misery needs some company right about now lol!!

They're still sending them out though. So there are spots. I've literally gotten a single invite every week for the past 4 weeks. My last was this past Thursday. 2 were after interest emails were sent so that might help too. Don't lose hope!!