EMERGENCY MEDICINE 2015-2016 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
After 3 weeks of silence (and a few WL and rejects) I got two invites last week. Both from places I sent interest letters. For what its worth, I've put a lot of stock in the rejection thread at this point...I figure if mass rejections have gone out and I haven't gotten one maybe they are silent waitlisting me. Interest letters can only help IMO.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
UT Houston sent me an invitation last week... after having rejected me via the ERAS messaging center (wtf?). So yes, interview invitations are still being sent. I just released an earlier invitation I had, so someone else should be getting an email from Interview Broker pretty soon.

Reactions: 3 users
One more interview and I can concentrate on my rotations

my incredibly fluff rotations

I guess I should rephrase that

One more interview and I can concentrate on my PS4

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I cancelled at couple interviews today! And since it's the season, I'm grateful for the ones I have, but if everyone else could do the same, there are a couple places I would still love to interview at! (directed at people sitting on 40 interviews :)

I cancelled at couple interviews today! And since it's the season, I'm grateful for the ones I have, but if everyone else could do the same, there are a couple places I would still love to interview at! (directed at people sitting on 40 interviews :)
Lol agreed sitting at 5 waitlists, there ain't no movement for anyone unless those 18 and over crowds cancels one or two :)

If anyone wanted to cancel Maine, that would be ggggreat

Wondering if people have experienced this: Anyone learn of a program you knew nothing about before the interview season that makes you wish you had applied to it?

I've heard amazing things about Palmetto on the interview trail, and reading their website they do sound like a phenomenal program. Sadly, ignorant me had not heard anything about it prior to the interview season.

Also feel like kicking myself for not applying to In-N-Out burger.

Hope everyone has a FANTASTIC Thanksgiving this year with friends and family!!!!

Who knows where we will spend it next year. :-/

Reactions: 1 user
My family (well really my adopted dads best friend family cause my family sucks) and I always have a gingerbread house decorating competition after thanksgiving dinner. Let the games begin!

My family (well really my adopted dads best friend family cause my family sucks) and I always have a gingerbread house decorating competition after thanksgiving dinner. Let the games begin!

U gotta upload pics!

I think Georgetown had the nicest rejection letter to date. It made me feel kinda warm and fuzzy inside even tho they didn't want me lol!!

Wondering if people have experienced this: Anyone learn of a program you knew nothing about before the interview season that makes you wish you had applied to it?

I've heard amazing things about Palmetto on the interview trail, and reading their website they do sound like a phenomenal program. Sadly, ignorant me had not heard anything about it prior to the interview season.

Can confirm good things about Palmetto. Carolina's was #1 on my list and Palmetto right there at #2.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone get a "candidacy under review" email from Miami?

I also got that email from Miami. I like that they mentioned the record number of applicants this year. Isn't this their first year existing?

Reactions: 6 users
It makes you wonder if they write that every year since it seems like statistically there are more applicants every year....

Also feel like kicking myself for not applying to In-N-Out burger

The fry fellowship is the future of EM.

I also created some movement today for some people. Got off a wait list then proceeded to drop 2... And will likely drop another.

Reactions: 5 users
I also got that email from Miami. I like that they mentioned the record number of applicants this year. Isn't this their first year existing?

Was thinking the same thing when I read that. I guess it's technically a record. Last year there were zero applicants.

Was thinking the same thing when I read that. I guess it's technically a record. Last year there were zero applicants.

Not true. Last year they were on the cusp of approval for their program, it got pushed back further and further. They received something like 500? applications through regular mail from applicants hoping to get an interview, then after match more applications and calls of people hoping they got approved so they could grab a scramble spot in EM, unfortunately they didn't get approved that year.

Heard this from the program coordinator, just FYI.

Over the past two weeks I've gotten several AOA invites after a very long period of silence, I think this is the last batch going out on that side since they are a month or two ahead of ACGME. I would expect there will be a flurry of new ACGME invites coming out by mid December as people cancel and they try to fill up the remaining January/February spots.

Over the past two weeks I've gotten several AOA invites after a very long period of silence, I think this is the last batch going out on that side since they are a month or two ahead of ACGME. I would expect there will be a flurry of new ACGME invites coming out by mid December as people cancel and they try to fill up the remaining January/February spots.

I hope so

cancelled 3 interviews this week!! spreading all the joy for holiday season...slash running out of $$

Reactions: 4 users
Did anyone ever clarify if George Washington requires step 2ck, step 2cs or both prior to being ranked?

what do you all know about schools screening out applications if you don't have 3 SLOEs?

what do you all know about schools screening out applications if you don't have 3 SLOEs?

I don't think there is a single program that requires having a minimum of three SLOEs in order to be considered for an interview spot. Maybe a minimum of three letters of reference (LoR), with at least one of them being a SLOE.

hey guys, looking to switch a GW date to save a bunch of money. Please PM me if interested!

I don't think there is a single program that requires having a minimum of three SLOEs in order to be considered for an interview spot. Maybe a minimum of three letters of reference (LoR), with at least one of them being a SLOE.

VCU and MUSC have this requirement; upon learning of it, they got kicked off my list. I am aware of no others with this requirement, but I have not researched all schools.

VCU and MUSC have this requirement; upon learning of it, they got kicked off my list. I am aware of no others with this requirement, but I have not researched all schools.

Wow, that seems excessive. I did not apply to that geographic region so I was unaware that some school do, in fact, demand three SLOEs for consideration of your application. I think however that my previous post is correct for the majority of programs: Three or more letters of reference are required, with at least one of them being a SLOE.

Wow, that seems excessive. I did not apply to that geographic region so I was unaware that some school do, in fact, demand three SLOEs for consideration of your application. I think however that my previous post is correct for the majority of programs: Three or more letters of reference are required, with at least one of them being a SLOE.

This is what I have seen for majority of programs as well.

Yeah, it seems quite excessive and is definitely not the norm.

Happy Thanksgiving to all my past, present and future EM docs! Hopefully ur day is filled with lots of family, food, fun and football!
Go Detroit, Carolina and Green Bay!!!!!

fwiw, I got a VCU invite with 2 SLOE's and 2 other letters.

That's stupid. My school only allows 2 rotations in a particular specialty 4th year.

U gotta upload pics!
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1448604146.237356.jpg

My entry

Reactions: 3 users
Could use some advice. I have my interview tomorrow for a program that i did an away at. They like me I liked them. Got an amazing sloe from this program. The pre interview dinner is tonight. I currently have strep throat, and wanted to relax tonight so I can maybe feel better tomorrow for the interview (which I'll be attending regardless of if I'm in shock or not). Is it a slight or a knock on the me if I don't attend the dinner, and instead sleep in my bed? This process has made me question every move I make lol?

Could use some advice. I have my interview tomorrow for a program that i did an away at. They like me I liked them. Got an amazing sloe from this program. The pre interview dinner is tonight. I currently have strep throat, and wanted to relax tonight so I can maybe feel better tomorrow for the interview (which I'll be attending regardless of if I'm in shock or not). Is it a slight or a knock on the me if I don't attend the dinner, and instead sleep in my bed? This process has made me question every move I make lol?

You are fine. It's easier to not go and off-handedly mention in one of your interviews about how you are sorry you couldn't attend the night before, than trying to explain to everyone at the dinner why you're under the weather and therefore not as amazing and engaging as you might normally be.

Thanks for the advice, that's kind of where my mind was at as well. Plus I totally sound like I have a frog in my throat so I'm sure if they do ask, I at least have proof that I didn't just flake.

Hey guys, I hope interviews are going well. I wanted to throw out my rather pitiful situation and see if there's anything else I can be doing/ if anyone else is running into the same situation. So I'm an DO applicant, step scores 225 and 258 (1&2 respectively), applied to 40 programs (mostly SE and decent number of NE and midwest ones), only gotten 3 interviews (2 being my away sites), and 2 waitlist. Denied from 10, waiting to hear from 25. My away rotations were way later than I hoped to schedule, which severely delayed my SLOEs (which is what I think has killed me). So far I've emailed most programs I'm waiting to hear back from, no interviews yielded unfortunately. Sooooo.... are a lot of people in this boat? Anything else I should be doing? Thanks guys.

whats everyone's opinion on telling a program that they are your #1 choice? does it sound desperate or could it actually help?

whats everyone's opinion on telling a program that they are your #1 choice? does it sound desperate or could it actually help?
Assuming you have completed all of your interviews and truly found your #1 (I found mine at interview #12 of 16), then go ahead. It probably won't make a difference but probably won't hurt.

Has anyone been receiving feedback on where they rank from programs after interviewing or even during the interview day? I have been told from one program director during an interview where I was most likely to be ranked, but every other program has been silent on the matter. Wasn't sure how common this was.

Has anyone been receiving feedback on where they rank from programs after interviewing or even during the interview day? I have been told from one program director during an interview where I was most likely to be ranked, but every other program has been silent on the matter. Wasn't sure how common this was.

Did they straight up tell you or did you slip that question in during the interview?

Be careful.... I think there may be a NRMP violation with programs promising you certain things abt ranking. For that reason, it's not common for them to tell you. The NRMP has a list of program violators on it. There may even be an EM program on there (been awhile since I looked at it) Not 100% sure of what exactly the rules are.

The rule is as follows: you are allowed to tell a program where they are in your rank list, without any solicitation. A program is allowed to tell you where you are in their rank list, without any solicitation....but at no time is any party allowed to solicit and inquire of where they are being ranked on the other parties rank list....also keep in mind we are in the real world and unfortunately people lie...so don't trust anything until it's official on match day !!!

Last edited:

I loved palmetto so much