Emergency medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mik118

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey i was just wondering if anyone was interested in Emergency Medicine out there? i have been an EMT for about 4 years now and i absolutely love it!!!! what schools are you looking into and what type of trauma level do you want to work in?

Members don't see this ad.

USC(So Cali) would offer great emergency medicine experience. When I interviewed there tons of beds were literally stacked wall to wall in the ER and more people were waiting in chairs and there were even more waiting in a waiting room outside. I think LA County-USC is one of the busiest(if not THE busiest) level 1 trauma on the westcoast.

Too bad tuition is like 35K a year.

Damn tuition everywhere is very $$$ any idea of their requirements?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Mik118
Damn tuition everywhere is very $$$ any idea of their requirements?

Requirements? As in which classes are required to apply there? Hmm..can't remember but I don't remember them having any pre-reqs out of the ordinary. Check their webpage out. I know their pre-reqs are listed there.

USC Keck School of Medicine

FYI- USC/LAC IS THE SECOND BUSIEST ED IN THE ENTIRE WORLD (AS OF 1993 ANYWAY) AFTER THE TRAUMA CENTER IN SOUTH AFRICA. NOTHING ELSE IN THE US EVEN COMES CLOSE. I USED TO BE A PARAMEDIC THERE. WE USED TO RUN CODES IN THEIR WAITING ROOM BECAUSE THEY HAD NO BEDS...HALLWAY 1,2,3, ETC...CENTRAL LINES AND FRACTURE REDUCTION IN THE LOBBY...

I have been considering trying to get a job in one of our local ER's as an "ER tech". Right now I have my CNA (nurse's aide certification), but haven't used it for about a year. I am slightly concerned that ER would be jumping in with both feet.

Any thoughts?

Originally posted by emedpa
FYI- USC/LAC IS THE SECOND BUSIEST ED IN THE ENTIRE WORLD (AS OF 1993 ANYWAY) AFTER THE TRAUMA CENTER IN SOUTH AFRICA. NOTHING ELSE IN THE US EVEN COMES CLOSE. I USED TO BE A PARAMEDIC THERE. WE USED TO RUN CODES IN THEIR WAITING ROOM BECAUSE THEY HAD NO BEDS...HALLWAY 1,2,3, ETC...CENTRAL LINES AND FRACTURE REDUCTION IN THE LOBBY...

I figured it was something along those lines. :) I didn't have the stats or anything to back it up though. I wonder what the latest figures are. What was your source for the '93 numbers?

QHAMP-TAKE AN EMT-1 CLASS. THIS WILL PREPARE YOU TO WORK AS AN ER TECH MUCH BETTER THAN THE CNA .

THE 93 STATEMENT WAS MADE BY ONE OF THE ATTENDINGS WHILE I WORKED THERE AND I TEND TO BELIEVE HIM. THE PLACE IS A ZOO 24/7. THE MED STUDENTS THERE DO ADVANCED PROCEDURES BY THE END OF MONTH 1. THE FULL TIME PA'S THERE RUN MEDICAL CODES AND USE ATLS MODALITIES FOR TRAUMA. ROCK AND ROLL! A BUDDY OF MINE(A PA) USED TO WORK THERE AND HE SAID HE COULD SPEND ENTIRE SHIFTS JUST REDUCING WRIST FXS AND SHOULDER DISLOCATIONS WHEN HE WORKED THE ORTHO AREA.

Qhamp- I agree with emedpa. I was an EMT-B before I took my CNA and worked as an ER tech. The EMT-B will train you far better. However, if you can land an ER tech job without your EMT, go for it. They'll train you on the job, and you can pick it all up if you're a quick learner and have a tough skin. It was the best job I've ever had and the reason I went back to school to become an MD.

Def. take an EMT class i have been an EMT for 4 years now and it has totally changed my life i have gained life skills that you will prolly never learn as a resident in any hospital furthermore, after working on an ambulance i know what the patient looked like way before he or she was brought to the hospital because i was one of the first on scene!!!! so taking your EMT would greatly benefit you

I am currently an ER tech and feel that the training you receive during a 2 week orientation is adequate. You will do your real learning while on the job so i certainly don't think that any further CNA or EMT classes would help at this point. I would prefer to get in the ER and do it rather than spend over a month in classroom training.

Originally posted by emedpa
QHAMP-TAKE AN EMT-1 CLASS. THIS WILL PREPARE YOU TO WORK AS AN ER TECH MUCH BETTER THAN THE CNA .

THE 93 STATEMENT WAS MADE BY ONE OF THE ATTENDINGS WHILE I WORKED THERE AND I TEND TO BELIEVE HIM. THE PLACE IS A ZOO 24/7. THE MED STUDENTS THERE DO ADVANCED PROCEDURES BY THE END OF MONTH 1. THE FULL TIME PA'S THERE RUN MEDICAL CODES AND USE ATLS MODALITIES FOR TRAUMA. ROCK AND ROLL! A BUDDY OF MINE(A PA) USED TO WORK THERE AND HE SAID HE COULD SPEND ENTIRE SHIFTS JUST REDUCING WRIST FXS AND SHOULDER DISLOCATIONS WHEN HE WORKED THE ORTHO AREA.

WHAT, IN YOUR OPINION, IS THE ROLE OF THE CAPS-LOCK KEY IN TODAY'S EMERGENCY MEDICINE CAREERS?

Originally posted by phllystyl
WHAT, IN YOUR OPINION, IS THE ROLE OF THE CAPS-LOCK KEY IN TODAY'S EMERGENCY MEDICINE CAREERS?

HE'S GOTTA HEAR HIMSELF OVER THE SIRENS!!!:laugh:

Seriously, though, thanks for the advice. It helps to know what those on the "inside" think. I think I'll probably begin on some benign floor as a CNA and wait for the next EMT class before I try for ER.