Emergency Pre-med advice/Applying next year!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laxgirl06

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I wanted to give a sense of what my application looks like as of now, and get feedback on what I need to do to get in a top 20-30 school if I am applying next cycle.

Applicant Demographics:

Female URM, non-first generation
Middle-class
College institution is not in the top 100

Coursework:
All pre-reqs completed with the exception of biochemistry
A+P was a weak spot (C, B- in lecture 1 and 2, respectively)

GPA/MCAT
cGPA - 3.46; Dean's List 4 semesters (to date)
sGPA- unknown (~3.3?)
MCAT - not yet taken- will invest in an MCAT course, self-perceived problem: will not have taken biochem until Spring; was planning on making up for this by doing Khan Academy's biochem videos in the meantime) Goal: 518
GPA trends: Roughly:
Freshman year
Fall 3.5 Spring 3.5
Sophomore year
Fall 3.0 (worst semester) Spring 3.5
Junior year
Fall 3.7 Spring - on track to get a 3.7+ (hopefully closer to 3.8)
Senior year
(attempting to get 4.0s in Fall and Spring at all costs)

Work/Activities
Work - no work experience
Activities-3 yr leadership position (founder), musical group member, one year leadership position(treasurer), fictional composition (novel writing, poetry, etc.)
"Special skills"
Play an instrument, intermediate Spanish speaker
Volunteering
Non-clinical = none as of yet (many things are in the works)
Clinical = <10 in local hospital (just started, but plan to do this until I apply)
Also plan to being volunteering at an adult home (would this be clinical or non-clinical?
Research
2 semesters - microbiology, one poster session
currently working on securing another 2, also pursuing departamental honors in bio (senior research project, etc.)
Primary care research - Institute for Primary care, investigated barriers preventing patients from signing up/utilizing a patient care portal
Will be conducting health disparities research again, this summer
Shadowing
20 hours, MD, neuro
4 hours, MD, ER
4 hours, MD, onco
8 hours, MD,ENT
4 hours, MD, GP
4 hours, MD, onco
Working on starting DO shadowing - LOR should be received
Working on securing an ortho MD for next year
Patient Contact
I would say the ER volunteer position gave me patient contact, would the shadowing be considered patient contact?
Summer Internships
3 (by the end of this summer, 2/3 would have been at Ivy-league institutions)
Letters of Evaluation
Non-science (covered, will ask soon)
Science (more tricky, one is covered, I will need to find a second one)
DO LOR- currently working on it
MD LOR- currently working on it
Essay
Have not yet written the personal statement
Projected Interview Performance
Interpersonal skills are something I have to work on, I have a year (any suggestions)?
My "problem" is that I tend to mimic the person I am speaking with (ex. If the person is outgoing, I have no problem being outgoing, if the person is more reserved, I tend to be more reserved)

Please help, let me know if you have any questions. And please be brutally honest ( I'm adamant on getting accepted to MD schools, DO is really a last last last resort for me personally) Any general application advice is also appreciated! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your GPA is not great...but seeing as you are a URM, you might still have a chance at a top school, and surely at any low/middle ranked school. You need to get volunteering hours in, both clinical and nonclinical...

Also a 518 is an amazing score on the MCAT. I'm not saying it's impossible, but one has to wonder with your lower GPA if you can pull it off. Shoot for the best though!

Reactions: 1 user
What URM community do you represent? Do you have a strong history of service to that community? Shadowing is usually not considered patient contact. The purpose of shadowing is to show you what a doc's life is like day to day. Don't worry about getting a letter from a MD. It really does nothing for your application and honestly how could any of them write a strong letter when you shadowed for such low number of hours. Nice upwards trend from soph year but your GPAs are below average. By next cycle do you mean for matriculation in 2017 or 2018? I hope it's for 2018. Less than 10 hours is very concerning. It's really hard to predict your actual chances without a MCAT score but be realistic in your goals.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why is it an emergency if you aren't even applying for 14 months? Your app looks decent, but getting into a top 20-30 is always a crap shoot.

Reactions: 3 users
I would agree with exacto, your GPA is not that great and you would really need a >518 on the MCAT to consider top medical schools. You have great extracurriculars and research experience but not much clinical experience.

My question for you: How do you have so much shadowing experience, is this office/clinic or actual in hospital shadowing. I'm asking because I have not had any luck in finding a doctor who is willing to allow me precept due to hospital policies, even though I work at a hospital.

Shadowing
20 hours, MD, neuro
4 hours, MD, ER
4 hours, MD, onco
8 hours, MD,ENT
4 hours, MD, GP
4 hours, MD, onco
Working on starting DO shadowing - LOR should be received
Working on securing an ortho MD for next year

To become a stronger medical school applicant, do your best to finish with a strong GPA for the rest of your junior and senior years, especially in your science classes. The upward trend of your junior and senior year overall GPA and science GPA will help compensate for your freshman and sophomore GPAs. With that being said if your goal is to get into a top 20-30 medical school, be aware that the average GPA and science GPA for the majority of the top 20-30 medical schools is 3.7-3.8 for both categories.

In general, I would also have more volunteering (both clinical and non-clinical) by the time you apply. I would also ask for a LOR from your Microbiology research PI. Apply early and apply broadly. Your first goal should be to get into a medical school period. See where you get interviews and prepare well for them. If you end up getting an interview from one of your desired top 20-30 medical schools, then seize that opportunity. But don't set your sights just on getting into the top 20-30 schools and be disappointed if it doesn't happen. Set your sights on getting into medical school first and foremost. Getting into a top 20-30 would just be the cherry on top.

It's somewhat unreasonable to say that you're goal MCAT score is a 518........Do you know what that score means? It means you're in the top 2% of test takers. It means you're possibly an Ivy candidate. Unless you are an extremely gifted student, I'd set your sights on just putting forth your best efforts and learning the content well for now. After you go take a couple of diagnostics and get knocked on your behind, you can tell SDN that you want a 518. Every day-dreaming pre-med wants a score like this! You may be capable of it, but be prepared to sacrifice a lot and to invest copious amounts of time studying MCAT materials. Good luck in your journey.

Why is it an emergency if you aren't even applying for 14 months? Your app looks decent, but getting into a top 20-30 is always a crap shoot.
Welcome to Chapter 5 of "The Stunning Impatience of Our Current Generation"

Reactions: 4 users
Your app kinda sucks as it stands now, OP. Low GPA, little patient contact, no volunteering, bunch of daydreams about MCAT and future GPA. Forget a top school, you're barely on track to even get into any school.

Reactions: 4 users
Your app kinda sucks as it stands now, OP. Low GPA, little patient contact, no volunteering, bunch of daydreams about MCAT and future GPA. Forget a top school, you're barely on track to even get into any school.
That URM tho

Thank you, avgn. But trolling or not, we'll see who really ends up at the top... When character is lost, ALL is lost...

Welcome to Chapter 5 of "The Stunning Impatience of Our Current Generation"
Call it "stunning impatience," I like to call it being proactive rather than reactive...

Members don't see this ad :)
Call it "stunning impatience," I like to call it being proactive rather than reactive...

It's the drama you created with the EMERGENCY PRE-MED in your headline... the makes us laugh and shake our head. Take that out and its a fine question to ask :)

Drama not welcome here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
It's pretty unrealistic to think URM status will compensate for a tanked GPA, lack of clinical experience, and an overall weak resume. Maybe it could compensate for slight weaknesses in a few places, but you'd still need strong performance in other areas. As it stands, I can't ascertain any particularly strong areas from what you've listed. I'd work on boosting your GPA and resume for now. Depending on performance in the next year, I'd aim for DO and lower tier MD's, possibly mid tier MD's if you really pick up the pace.

Also, I'd caution you tread lightly. Your GPA says you've done pretty average up to now, and those were mostly intro courses; it only gets harder from here. Assuming you'll magically transform into a 4.0 student now and get a 518 on the MCAT is certainly possible, but it's much easier said than done.

Edit: I don't think @avgn was trolling. You said to be brutally honest, and that's just the brutally honest truth.

Last edited:
It's pretty unrealistic to think URM status will compensate for a tanked GPA, lack of clinical experience, and an overall weak resume. Maybe it could compensate for slight weaknesses in a few places, but you'd still need strong performance in other areas. As it stands, I can't ascertain any particularly strong areas from what you've listed. I'd work on boosting your GPA and resume for now.

Also, I'd caution you tread lightly. Your GPA says you've done pretty average up to now, and those were mostly intro courses; it only gets harder from here. Assuming you'll magically transform into a 4.0 student now and get a 518 on the MCAT is certainly possible, but it's much easier said than done.

Hi, Skydive Fox. Thank you for your input. I never said or implied that URM status would compensate for anything. I just included it in my applicant demographics because I thought that was the correct place to state it, and because I am indeed URM. I am aware of the deficiencies in my application concerning clinical experience and GPA, the purpose of this post was to find out if there is anything else that I need to start working on now. Furthermore, I urge you (and everyone else here) to refrain from drawing conclusions on my intellectual abilities solely based on my GPA; imo, GPA is not an accurate reflection of one's intellectual abilities. Otherwise why do students with 4.0s score in the 67th percentile on their MCAT? The circumstances behind that GPA are also not disclosed. I don't believe in "magical transformation." I am working on steadily increasing my GPA. A 518 is of course easier said that done, but imo nothing is impossible, so I will not place limits on myself, or any other person, for that matter. I believe in encouraging others to push past their self-perceived limitations, not be imprisoned by them. Thank you.

Your GPA is not great...but seeing as you are a URM, you might still have a chance at a top school, and surely at any low/middle ranked school. You need to get volunteering hours in, both clinical and nonclinical...

Also a 518 is an amazing score on the MCAT. I'm not saying it's impossible, but one has to wonder with your lower GPA if you can pull it off. Shoot for the best though!
Thank you for your input. I agree about the clinical and nonclinical hours. I have surveyed multiple people who have scored 514+ who have expressed from personal experience that you should not let your GPA dictate how you do on the MCAT, and that there is a weak correlation between the two. Looking back at the MCAT score translation data, I see that I should have probably put 514(~90 percentile). But I will shoot for the best! Thanks.

It's the drama you created with the EMERGENCY PRE-MED in your headline... the makes us laugh and shake their head. Take that out and its a fine question to ask :)

Drama not welcome here.
It allows me to edit the post, but not the title. Do you know how to? And it seems like drama is very welcome, here. Especially from your friend avgn....

It's somewhat unreasonable to say that you're goal MCAT score is a 518........Do you know what that score means? It means you're in the top 2% of test takers. It means you're possibly an Ivy candidate. Unless you are an extremely gifted student, I'd set your sights on just putting forth your best efforts and learning the content well for now. After you go take a couple of diagnostics and get knocked on your behind, you can tell SDN that you want a 518. Every day-dreaming pre-med wants a score like this! You may be capable of it, but be prepared to sacrifice a lot and to invest copious amounts of time studying MCAT materials. Good luck in your journey.
Hi, RN MD 2017. Thank you for your input. I just posted to someone that after looking at a percentile conversion, I should have probably said 514(~90 percentile). A 514 is of course easier said that done, but imo nothing is impossible, so I will not place limits on myself, or any other person, for that matter. I believe in encouraging others to push past their self-perceived limitations, not be imprisoned by them. Good luck in your journey as well.

Of course GPA isn't the most accurate reflection of one's intellectual abilities, but it is, to a certain extent, an accurate reflection of the intellectual ability and work you've been willing to put forth up to this point. I know there's circumstances beyond intellect that can tank GPA's, but the fact of the matter is that median GPA's for Top 20 schools are well above anything you'll be able to reach at this point even with 4.0 semesters. And I wasn't implying a 518 isn't possible, but it's just worth considering whether or not you can realistically reach the >97th overall percentile on the MCAT after being unable to demonstrate that in school. Sorry, but that's just the brutal truth imho.

But we don't know what URM community or what OP's commitment and ties to that community are!

OP listed being a Spanish-speaker, so I assumed Latino.

Thank you, avgn. But trolling or not, we'll see who really ends up at the top... When character is lost, ALL is lost...
You wanted the truth for your chances and areas for improvement. I pointed them out and others did as well. There's no "character or no character" when deciding if an app is ready for top schools. There is only it's good or ehh maybe or it sucks. Right now, your app sucks but there is hope.

P.S. This is coming from someone who got into multiple top schools this cycle

Hi, RN MD 2017. Thank you for your input. I just posted to someone that after looking at a percentile conversion, I should have probably said 514(~90 percentile). A 514 is of course easier said that done, but imo nothing is impossible, so I will not place limits on myself, or any other person, for that matter. I believe in encouraging others to push past their self-perceived limitations, not be imprisoned by them. Good luck in your journey as well.

This is the kind of bull**** positive psychology that will get you nowhere. Feel free to perceive yourself as a freaking unicorn dancing on rainbows for all I care. The MCAT doesn't give a care either. It's interested in your ability to critically interpret information. There is no substitute for hard work. And, as others have said, your GPA does not reflect even a 90th percentile MCAT score

Reactions: 6 users
Hey sorry to derail this thread but this seems to be very active and somewhat related. When volunteering as a URM is it more advisable to volunteer in free clinics ? There is general knowledge that showing dedication to your community is very important. I'm currently volunteering in a VA hospital. This is not representative of the community so idk. I also have been working at the food bank for some time but that's not clinical so idk....

Hey sorry to derail this thread but this seems to be very active and somewhat related. When volunteering as a URM is it more advisable to volunteer in free clinics ? There is general knowledge that showing dedication to your community is very important. I'm currently volunteering in a VA hospital. This is not representative of the community so idk. I also have been working at the food bank for some time but that's not clinical so idk....
Both activities are good so I wouldn't stop them since you need clinical and no clinical ECs. Is the food bank in your community? Maybe you could find a similar activity that would benefit your community. You do seem to be on the right track EC wise. Good luck.

See that's why I asked. There are lots of Spanish speakers who are from countries not considered URM. Funny OP won't tell us.

I said I am conversational in Spanish. XD I am African-American, and have African heritage. I am not Latina.

Both activities are good so I wouldn't stop them since you need clinical and no clinical ECs. Is the food bank in your community? Maybe you could find a similar activity that would benefit your community. You do seem to be on the right track EC wise. Good luck.

Yes it is . So how will volunteering at the VEterans hospital look. Is it seen in the same regard as volunteering at a free clinic ?

I would say that the showing dedication towards your community is extremely important. I have read the same. If possible, volunteering in your community would help.

This is the kind of bull**** positive psychology that will get you nowhere. Feel free to perceive yourself as a freaking unicorn dancing on rainbows for all I care. The MCAT doesn't give a care either. It's interested in your ability to critically interpret information. There is no substitute for hard work. And, as others have said, your GPA does not reflect even a 90th percentile MCAT score
But why put so much energy in bringing others down? I'm guessing you scored in the 99th percentile? Otherwise how can you feel so qualified to talk in such a manner? :troll:

You wanted the truth for your chances and areas for improvement. I pointed them out and others did as well. There's no "character or no character" when deciding if an app is ready for top schools. There is only it's good or ehh maybe or it sucks. Right now, your app sucks but there is hope.

P.S. This is coming from someone who got into multiple top schools this cycle
There is character involved in the manner in which you interact with people. Surely as someone who got into multiple top schools this cycle, you would be smart enough to know how to talk to people, respectfully. :D Saying that I am not even on track to get into medical school and that my application sucks in the manner in which you did, does not show the mark of an intelligent person. Surely as someone who got into multiple top schools, you know that proceeding to say that someone's app sucks, without giving them any sort of remediation strategy is not "smart." But that's just my opinion....

I would agree with exacto, your GPA is not that great and you would really need a >518 on the MCAT to consider top medical schools. You have great extracurriculars and research experience but not much clinical experience.

My question for you: How do you have so much shadowing experience, is this office/clinic or actual in hospital shadowing. I'm asking because I have not had any luck in finding a doctor who is willing to allow me precept due to hospital policies, even though I work at a hospital.
It is both hospital and office/clinic. I can pm you about how I got them so I can keep some anonymity.

Of course GPA isn't the most accurate reflection of one's intellectual abilities, but it is, to a certain extent, an accurate reflection of the intellectual ability and work you've been willing to put forth up to this point. I know there's circumstances beyond intellect that can tank GPA's, but the fact of the matter is that median GPA's for Top 20 schools are well above anything you'll be able to reach at this point even with 4.0 semesters. And I wasn't implying a 518 isn't possible, but it's just worth considering whether or not you can realistically reach the >97th overall percentile on the MCAT after being unable to demonstrate that in school. Sorry, but that's just the brutal truth imho.
I agree with what you said about GPA. That can be the "brutal truth" in your honest opinion, but imho I never have and never will let what others think derail me....or limit what I am capable of. Call it positive thinking bs as others on this forum have, if you want, but that's just the truth of the matter.

To become a stronger medical school applicant, do your best to finish with a strong GPA for the rest of your junior and senior years, especially in your science classes. The upward trend of your junior and senior year overall GPA and science GPA will help compensate for your freshman and sophomore GPAs. With that being said if your goal is to get into a top 20-30 medical school, be aware that the average GPA and science GPA for the majority of the top 20-30 medical schools is 3.7-3.8 for both categories.

In general, I would also have more volunteering (both clinical and non-clinical) by the time you apply. I would also ask for a LOR from your Microbiology research PI. Apply early and apply broadly. Your first goal should be to get into a medical school period. See where you get interviews and prepare well for them. If you end up getting an interview from one of your desired top 20-30 medical schools, then seize that opportunity. But don't set your sights just on getting into the top 20-30 schools and be disappointed if it doesn't happen. Set your sights on getting into medical school first and foremost. Getting into a top 20-30 would just be the cherry on top.
I agree with everything you said, but besides a high MCAT and volunteering, do you think there are any other things I need to do to improve my app? Thank you for providing respectful input. :D

OP is either a troll or living in some sort of fantasy land. Positive thinking is different from your delusional thinking. If you truly believe you can get a 518 and make it into Top 20's with those stats, more power to you. Come back in a few years and tell us all, "I told you so." Until then, best of luck on your journey!

OP is either a troll or living in some sort of fantasy land. Positive thinking is different from your delusional thinking. If you truly believe you can get a 518 and make it into Top 20's with those stats, more power to you. Come back in a few years and tell us all, "I told you so." Until then, best of luck on your journey!
XD Saying that my goal is a 514, does not demonstrate delusional thinking. And I'm not the "I told you so," type. I'm the "I did it, and here's how I did it, I can help you do it, type. " Good luck to everyone. :D

@Skydive Fox I couldn't agree more. These kinds of people are a pestilence to SDN. OP, you are delusional. Do us all a favor and don't become a physician. God knows we need physicians who work hard and live in the moment, not ones who daydream and tell patients **** like "don't be bound by the shackles of your disease".

For a top school, even with URM, you will need a 520, a 514 won't cut it. You came here asking for advice on your app for top schools and the brutal, honest truth is exactly what avgn said, your app sucks. You have no volunteering and your GPAs are way below the median for all of those schools. URM will help a bit but you still need to reach a certain point. The people who beat the odds and get into top schools with your stats aren't delusional, they critically evaluate their app, they accept the brutal truth, and then they doggedly keep their head down and fix every deficit that they can. They don't sit here and tell people (who already have top acceptances mind you) that "we'll see who is on top" and calling those people trolls. Instead of stuffing your head in the sand and telling people their honest and brutal assessment isn't true, you should go out and fix your app and then get into a top school. After doing that then come here and wave that acceptance letter under everyone's noses of you want, trust me everyone here will be happy for you, but until then you can't really tell them that they are wrong. I can't even tell you how many (very intelligent) friends of mine that "we're going to kill the MCAT with a 518" that studied for months on end to simply get a 501. You haven't done anything that you are saying yet, you can with keep your head in the clouds or you can accept the truth and go to work.

Sigh I'm probably going to get chewed out for jumping into something I have no business being in but....

I'm just going to say I think both sides are wrong in this thread. I agree that OP is kinda leaning over a bit much into the hopeful side of reality, but I also agree the posters are kinda being really rude to OP. Both sides kinda just need to step away because the point of this thread is already been achieved and now it is just name calling.

I guess in response to the original question, I'll just say to the OP why top schools? Would you not be happy with any med school? The top schools tend to be much harder, pick a place you'd fit in and do well at instead of just going for a name. No matter what is said here you can obviously still apply to wherever you want, but just think more about your motivation of why those schools and if you'd fit with them.

Summary: peace, love, and harmony y'all :)

EDIT: Pretty much agree with this:
For a top school, even with URM, you will need a 520, a 514 won't cut it. You came here asking for advice on your app for top schools and the brutal, honest truth is exactly what avgn said, your app sucks. You have no volunteering and your GPAs are way below the median for all of those schools. URM will help a bit but you still need to reach a certain point. The people who beat the odds and get into top schools with your stats aren't delusional, they critically evaluate their app, they accept the brutal truth, and then they doggedly keep their head down and fix every deficit that they can. They don't sit here and tell people (who already have top acceptances mind you) that "we'll see who is on top" and calling those people trolls. Instead of stuffing your head in the sand and telling people their honest and brutal assessment isn't true, you should go out and fix your app and then get into a top school. After doing that then come here and wave that acceptance letter under everyone's noses of you want, trust me everyone here will be happy for you, but until then you can't really tell them that they are wrong. I can't even tell you how many (very intelligent) friends of mine that "we're going to kill the MCAT with a 518" that studied for months on end to simply get a 501. You haven't done anything that you are saying yet, you can with keep your head in the clouds or you can accept the truth and go to work.

Sigh I'm probably going to get chewed out for jumping into something I have no business being in but....

I'm just going to say I think both sides are wrong in this thread. I agree that OP is kinda leaning over a bit much into the hopeful side of reality, but I also agree the posters are kinda being really rude to OP. Both sides kinda just need to step away because the point of this thread is already been achieved and now it is just name calling.

I guess in response to the original question, I'll just say to the OP why top schools? Would you not be happy with any med school? The top schools tend to be much harder, pick a place you'd fit in and do well at instead of just going for a name. No matter what is said here you can obviously still apply to wherever you want, but just think more about your motivation of why those schools and if you'd fit with them.

Summary: peace, love, and harmony y'all :)

EDIT: Pretty much agree with this:
I don't see why me being "hopefully optimistic" hurts anyone here. xD And in regards to the top 20-30 schools, that is my goal. I would be happy with any med school, but I see that at those particular schools, they tend to be more research-oriented/ground-breaking innovation-leading. Posts like this, "These kinds of people are a pestilence to SDN. OP, you are delusional. Do us all a favor and don't become a physician. God knows we need physicians who work hard and live in the moment, not ones who daydream and tell patients **** like "don't be bound by the shackles of your disease" are what I really don't understand... I just posted this thread to see if I needed to do anything besides add volunteering, score a high MCAT, and increase my GPA, and it turned into a free-for-all.......good ole SDN. o_O

I am aware of my deficiencies, and am not delusional. I don't appreciate the level of unwarranted disrespect I am receiving.....some people here are telling me not to become a physician. :D That's just pathetic imho....

I am aware of my deficiencies, and am not delusional. I don't appreciate the level of unwarranted disrespect I am receiving.....some people here are telling me not to become a physician. :D That's just pathetic imho....

It's not you necessarily but every week it seems like there is a WAMC thread asking about top schools with subpar stats and then the OP doesn't like the advice and starts talking about how mean we all are and gets all delusional about "positive thinking." If all you wanted to ask about was if there were any additional things you needed besides GPA, volunteering and MCAT then you should have stated that in your post. Take care of your business and you will get in but don't bank on "top" schools. With your stats it just most likely isn't going to happen and you need to know that and be realistic. Be careful with your positive thinking that it doesn't become delusion. That is a good way to apply and not even get interviews. This is all moot of course without a MCAT score

"This is all moot of course without a MCAT score"

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Op I am going to give you some advice, I personally had the aspirations you do, I was young, thought "hey ill get a 4.0 all semester no worries I learned" and I did it. HOWEVER, a below 3.5 gpa even for a regular MD school is border line. Needless to say fast forward a year and I am on my third MCAT retake (I know bad situation not talking about me here guys) Realistically I have to look at DO schools. For you to say a DO school is your last last last resort shows your conviction to becoming an MD which is great but imo if you only want MD or bust then your drive to be a physician isn't as strong as others most people want to become one no matter the cost. I think you should first study for the mcat try your best and see where you are before you start putting together lists, thinking about possible scores.

Trust me I was there I used to say "people don't study hard enough I will and get a 30" boy was I insanely wrong. This test is no joke and it basically determines your med school chances no matter what anyone says. PM me for more details on that topic I have several examples of that.

Overall these forums are known for blunt honesty and you need to expect and accept that. Being a URM is your greatest ally when applying but in order to secure even one spot you need to apply strategically and right now top 20 idk.....take it from someone who was knocked down a few pegs, its not fun when you come crashing down take the blow early and adjust.

You asked for brutal honesty. You got it. And didn't like it much.

Your response to that honesty, is WHY people are telling you not to try and become an MD/DO because you can't handle the truth (channeling my best Jack N in female voice there :D )

You have an upward trend. That's good. Keep going.

You assume you can hit a 518 without showing anything that says you have the STUDY habits to do so. I have a near 4.0 from a very, very well respected university and *I* don't know if I can get a score that high AND I *know* I have the study skills to do so.

What makes SDN get a bad rap is when people like you come here, asking for blunt/honest advice and then claim we're mean or ogres or ... what have you.

The plain truth is this:

1. be realistic about your chances now (GET the 4.0 and ask the same question; I bet you get a different answer)
2. don't create drama (your thread title is ALL about dat drama)
3. get the MCAT score before asking again
4. get work experience ... frankly, I cannot think of one person on here that I have seen without it... even if it's "Happy Joes Pizzaria"
5. get more clinical/shadowing; don't work with hypothesis and ponies farting fairy dust here...

Op I am going to give you some advice, I personally had the aspirations you do, I was young, thought "hey ill get a 4.0 all semester no worries I learned" and I did it. HOWEVER, a below 3.5 gpa even for a regular MD school is border line. Needless to say fast forward a year and I am on my third MCAT retake (I know bad situation not talking about me here guys) Realistically I have to look at DO schools. For you to say a DO school is your last last last resort shows your conviction to becoming an MD which is great but imo if you only want MD or bust then your drive to be a physician isn't as strong as others most people want to become one no matter the cost. I think you should first study for the mcat try your best and see where you are before you start putting together lists, thinking about possible scores.

Trust me I was there I used to say "people don't study hard enough I will and get a 30" boy was I insanely wrong. This test is no joke and it basically determines your med school chances no matter what anyone says. PM me for more details on that topic I have several examples of that.

Overall these forums are known for blunt honesty and you need to expect and accept that. Being a URM is your greatest ally when applying but in order to secure even one spot you need to apply strategically and right now top 20 idk.....take it from someone who was knocked down a few pegs, its not fun when you come crashing down take the blow early and adjust.

This is a great example of how hard getting a good MCAT score can be. Thanks for bringing a dose of reality. It's something we all need to remember, since SDN is flooded with people talking about their 520's. If you do get into a school, your resilience and determination will serve you better than anything.

I don't know what I said was considered rude. I never said you're dumb, you're not smart, or anything like that. I'm just saying your app sucks. That's not a reflection of you, just your understanding of the app process. Take our advice and improve the app or bitch and complain how we're being mean. We don't care, especially those of us already headed off to school. :whistle:

I agree with everything you said, but besides a high MCAT and volunteering, do you think there are any other things I need to do to improve my app? Thank you for providing respectful input. :D

Find something that you are passionate about and try to demonstrate leadership in this activity. If possible, obtain a LOR that can speak about your character and leadership ability through this activity. You mentioned you were a founder/leader in an activity. If possible, try to demonstrate how you saw a problem and were able to develop a plan to solve that problem through this activity.

I would also strengthen your research experience and produce tangible products through your research. (ex. poster presentation, publication, research awards, etc.). This may strengthen your LOR from your research PI.

These are our compassionate healer @laxgirl06. I would say write these harsh words down and remember you are not the first and won't be the last who've been told that they do not have what it takes to be a doctor. When you are a doctor don't forget this moment and don't be afraid to tell others this story. There is nothing wrong with wanting to go to the top 30 school but getting into med school is the top goal. I would suggest doing a search on forum for efficient or effective study techniques and habits. You should treat your classes more like a job. Study hard and study smart! :)

Best of luck