Emergency!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicholjs

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have my Intro Bio final on Thursday morning and I have not studied at all for it because of a family problem last week. The professor will not let me take it at a different time. I really need to do well because I am at a C+/B- now. Before I thought if I got an A on this, I could get a B+, but now I'll settle for a B- just because it will be impossible to get an A with two days of studying (I can't start tonight because I have a paper to write for tomorrow).

I have to learn 18 chapters of Bio in 2 days. How should I go about memorizing all of that info? Has anyone been successful at this before? I have not had AP Bio, so this is all new material for me.

Members don't see this ad.

I have my Intro Bio final on Thursday morning and I have not studied at all for it because of a family problem last week. The professor will not let me take it at a different time. I really need to do well because I am at a C+/B- now. Before I thought if I got an A on this, I could get a B+, but now I'll settle for a B- just because it will be impossible to get an A with two days of studying (I can't start tonight because I have a paper to write for tomorrow).

I have to learn 18 chapters of Bio in 2 days. How should I go about memorizing all of that info? Has anyone been successful at this before? I have not had AP Bio, so this is all new material for me.

Study your butt off. I can't be critical because I have biochem tomorrow and have lazied out 100 %

It's do able but not recommended. I have done it before.

I also happen to have eidetic memory.

Members don't see this ad :)
Start by not memorizing the chapters. Textbooks are your enemies, especially in time-crunch situations. Skim quickly through your notes to make sure you hit all the high points, and then go back over all the material you don't already know. Rinse and repeat as time allows. Studying for a final in 2 days if far from unheard of. You can definitely do it.

You need to study, study, study. Its not ideal, but you can still do well. I wouldn't condone doing this all the time, but 2 or 3 days for an intro bio class should be enough time for miracles to happen. My freshman year I had a lot of exams going on so I only had a few days to pull a good grade on bio, did it...91 :).

Is your exam multiple choice, because if it is, an A is possible with lots of luck. :p But seriously though, every prof is different. I just study lecture slides since mine are on power point. I don't think I have heard of people doing well with a day of studying though. May the force be with you and God speed.

Not going to happen. Hopefully, at this point, all you really need to do is review those chapters. Just study, study, study. You can do it! :thumbup:

All you can do is attack, attack, attack.

Seriously I studied for most of my finals over one day's time. I seldom studied longer for a final exam - maybe 2-3 days max. Then again, I made an effort to actually learn a thing or two during the semester. If you didn't bother to learn anything before now, then you might find out the final exam's true fidelity.

I would suggest that you review the material on the prelims. While the material on the cummulative final may not be limited to the material on the old exams, they will serve as a guide to what your professor considers important.

Or drop the course before the final and have a Withdraw on your transcript (unless your school doesn't allow that).

i have quantitative analytical chem tomorrow morning. i started a few hours ago. you are good. if you have notes, stick to those if the teacher tests to the notes. if not, I actually love textbooks- i usually CAREFULLY read through every chapter before a test, do a few practice problems, and am set to go.

for intro to bio, if you are really starting from scratch, look at the bolded words from each chapter and try to cram those into your brain. usually if you start memorizing definitions in the order the book has them and reading some of the text you can begin to conceptualize the material pretty quickly. 2 full days is enough.

Thanks for all the advice. I think looking at all the Bold words is the way to go. Then I'll review all of the lecture notes. Maybe I'll pull this one off.

Does anyone have a quick and efficient way to memorize all the bold words in 2 days? I don't have time to make flashcards.

Part of the trick is to spend those two days actually studying and not waste them.

You really don't have 18 chapters to learn in two days. You have those chapters to review in two days. There is no way this is, as you said, "all new material". You can handle a review of that amount in that time. You don't need to have taken AP bio to do well in Bio I or II.

The reason that I'm saying that is because by convincing yourself that it's all new material and that the task is overwhelming, you are getting in the way of your own success. If you see it for what it is, it's nowhere near as daunting.

writing them down is probably the best way to memorize them unless you have a photographic memory... but the problem with this is it can take a while, but it gives you a chance to put them into your own words so they might stick better.

Read through the lecture slides. Re-write them if you have time.

Perhaps you can do what another SDN member considering...just don't go. I'm sure the professor would understand!

No but really....review your lecture notes first--make sure you know what the professor emphasized and learn that material. Then review the chapters. For the general bio classes, I'm not going lie...I only studied the two days before and I pulled off As each time on essay exams.

look at the end of chapter summaries and midterms hw/quizzes w/e to try and find out which information is going to be most important to focus on. most of the time i find getting a good grade comes down to figuring out the important information and hammering concepts/details/ w/e until you have it down cold.

if you cant do that, look up this semesters tests and notes and just work on getting the big picture and work your way down to the details in an organized manner so it'll be easier to recall the info.

two things.

1: do not focus on the textbook if you have good lecture notes. the professor will probably focus on the lecture notes anyways.

2: 2 days should be plenty. what about your other exams? I remember a few times in my Undergrad I had only 1 day to study for some classes. You have to study smart, and quick. Pick and choose the important things to focus on.

Besides, if you have been paying attention in class all semester and studied for the midterm well, the first half should be a refresher.

This is why there's summaries at the ends of chapters in textbooks!!

First, assume/hope you have a decent grasp on all the material prior to your most recent midterm or quiz. More likely than not, the final will mostly consist of material taught since the last exam.

2 days is enough time for one exam, but you MUST go hxcore for it. As in 9am - 11pm studying on campus no distractions (NO SDN!!) and power through the workload.

I hate finals. My first one this week is biochem and I kid you not, I memorized EVERY slide word-for-word because my profs always test on minute detail in metabolism. It's junk. I think if I shake my head to hard carbohydrate mechanisms will fall out my ears.
Everyone pray I can reproduce the Urea cycle with structures Wednesday morning =(