Emergency!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ErinG

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys,
I'm having a major crisis, and I need some answers! In college, during my freshman year (in 1994), I took Calculus, and got a D in it. Figuring I should try and get a better grade, I retook in the next semester, and unfortunately got an F in it (I couldn't understand the TA, etc., etc). My school (Rutgers) doesn't count the second class that I took, and erased the F out of my gpa and instead used the D. I just got off the phone with an AACOMAS person and he said that they'll take the second course's grade (the F that doesn't count and isn't included in my grade) and they'll erase the D!! I can't believe it!! After that semester, I went on to get 3.8,3.9.4.0. was on the dean's list, have two honors, went to grad school, and I can't believe that this F may keep me out of med school because the AACOMAS doesn't have any way to "deal" with this situation! What should I do? I almost didn't believe the man I spoke with because this is such a rediculous situation, and even my huge public undergraduate instituaiton understands that the second grade doesn't count.

Please help!

Erin

Members don't see this ad.

First ... is the retake course and grade listen on your transcript at all (and just not counted) - or did Rutgers wipe it off the transcript (and hence no record of it except your word)?

If it is the former, then you have to list it and AACOM will count the retook grade, in this case, the F. If it is not listed anywhere on your transcript, then you could decide not to list the retaken course and the grade and no one would be the wiser. However, this might be seen as having a misleading application and might result in serious consequences if caught (I don't know what the risks and penalities are).

But whatever you do, please be aware that any course less than 2.0 will not satisfy a lot of med school's general requirements. Thus if a certain school has a math requirement, then having a D (1.0) will not satisfy that math requirement. (I think UMDNJ-SOM has a math requirement)

You seem to have rebounded well after the disaster in calculus. If you are not admitted, I doubt it will be solely to your calculus grade (unless you fail to meet the prerequisite requirements). However, you may have to show the adcom that you do know your math (or calculus).

Best of luck.

RELAX. This hardly constitutes an emergency. Your talking about one course. Seriously, put things into perspective.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dont some schools have math requirements? If so, they may not take a D credit, and you would probably have to retake it no matter what

Originally posted by ErinG
..... even my huge public undergraduate instituaiton understands that the second grade doesn't count.

I think perspective here is definately the point. The only reason that your undergrad university doesn't count it is because they make up their own policies! That doesn't mean that everyone else out there is going to follow the same policies.

AACOMAS is quite clear about how they handle a repeated course and they are treating it the way the majority of undergrad universities do. As far as I know MOST schools will use BOTH grades in gpa or they will use the grade from the last time the course was taken (even if it is a lower grade). You were just lucky that Rutgers calculated that way in the first place.

i agree that this is but one class. it seems like you rocked the rest of your educational years. if worse comes to worst, just retake calc...i mean it should seriously be a piece of cake now right?

retake the course, it's not that big of a deal.
Go to a local JC if you think it will be easier.

I just don't understand how this is an "Emergency!"

Originally posted by JPHazelton
I just don't understand how this is an "Emergency!"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Can't wait till the OP gets to his ER rotation third year.

To OP,

If the university did not deem it necessary to list the retake on your record, I cannot see why you would be morally or ethically obligated to list the "F". (officially , the grade doesn't exist if not mentioned or asterisked in some form or fashion on your official record) However, if asked about it in an interview, you would need to tell about the retake if questioned. The adcom would probably already know about it and would want to observe your response. Then again , how would they know about the retake if it is not on the official transcript (perhaps the adcom is familiar with the procedures your univ follows in these cases) NOte also that retake policies vary from university to university.

I had two F's on my transcript and overall gpa of 3.19 and got accepted. During one interview (at one school where I was accepted), one interviewer on my panel interview pointed to the head of my panel interview ( a biochem PhD ) and said, "How will you survive medical school when you flunked Dr. ______'s course?" (Biochem was one course I failed at another university)
I just smiled and said (laughing) that I'd have to do much better! I then told them that I had no excuse for my poor grade , but I told them honestly why I failed the course, and they seemed satisfied with the answer.

You'll do fine. Just be honest about why you made the grades you made, even if you must admit some weakness. At least it shows you are honest and can learn from your mistakes.