Emory Anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TubeJockeyStile

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed recently at Emory and was disappointed. Doesn't surprise me that they didn't fill more than half their spots last year. It's a clinical powerhouse but that is about it.
Remember that they are on ACGME warning!!!! That is one step away from probation. Supposedly they just had a site visit again and will likely go on probation.
What surprised me most about Emory -- the new program director, Dr. Williamson, HID THE FACT THAT THEY WERE ON PROBATION!!! She did not once mention it and we spent all morning with her. Why not just come out and say we are on probabtion, we are working on it. Don't hide it. We are not stupid. We all look up the ACMGE status online.

Members don't see this ad.

Your information is probably well intended and factual (or maybe not), but this is like a yearly event. You'll be OK no matter where you go. The number 1 (and possibly 2 and 3) when generating rank list, should be happiness. Everything after that will fall into place.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I interviewed recently at Emory and was disappointed. Doesn't surprise me that they didn't fill more than half their spots last year. It's a clinical powerhouse but that is about it.
Remember that they are on ACGME warning!!!! That is one step away from probation. Supposedly they just had a site visit again and will likely go on probation.
What surprised me most about Emory -- the new program director, Dr. Williamson, HID THE FACT THAT THEY WERE ON PROBATION!!! She did not once mention it and we spent all morning with her. Why not just come out and say we are on probabtion, we are working on it. Don't hide it. We are not stupid. We all look up the ACMGE status online.

Hello, TubeJockeyStile. The Emory Anesthesiology Program is not on probation, or likely to go on probation. The warning is an ACGME administrative warning, but as noted on the ACGME website, the program is fully accredited. The warning relates to poor case logging and to resident complaints that predate the current program director, who has worked very hard to solve the pre-existing issues. The ACGME site visit that happened in the fall will likely resolve the warnings since the issues have been fixed, but the anesthesiology Residency Review Committee doesn't meet again until the Spring.

I hope this clears up any confusion. Anyway, we think it's a darn good program and the whole recruitment committee is excited about this year's match!

Signed,
Emory Faculty

Edited to add this link to another discussion:

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/emory-anesthesiology.1230336/#post-18336454

EF

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What's your source for the highlighted bit? What you wrote is not consistent with what I was told on interview day.

I spoke to the Emory residents and that is what Dr. Williamson (the PD) told the residents. I do not like programs trying to hide things from me.

I haven't posted in a while, but just felt compelled to reply to this.

I have never been affiliated Emory, but must say that I was impressed with their program when I interviewed there for both residency and fellowship. I also met several who have trained there who had good things to say. It seems that you don't have any details about why the program was threatened with probation --- often times, all it takes is one disgruntled resident to go to the AGME, which causes a headache for everyone. They stood out as a particularly friendly program, with particularly good training in cardiac and pediatrics.

Again, please take my advice with a grain of salt, as I have not trained there.....but from my personal observation, I would not hesitate to train there.

Reactions: 2 users
Agree that the residents were really friendly and they are as I mentioned a clinical powerhouse. Yet they are on probation with minimal information given to applicants as to why they were on probation. If they lie and hide stuff from us now, won't they do so later?

Agree that the residents were really friendly and they are as I mentioned a clinical powerhouse. Yet they are on probation with minimal information given to applicants as to why they were on probation. If they lie and hide stuff from us now, won't they do so later?

I'm sorry but your imagination is running wild here. The reasons for the probation were clearly spelled out and they have been addressed by the PD. Emory is a good mid tier program which offers solid all-around training in anesthesia.

If you don't want to rank them that is your choice to do so; but, those that do match there will be fine.

Reactions: 4 users
ACGME recently released an updated accreditation report. It seems that the OP was not correct, as Emory remains on warning status (not probation as stated by OP).

https://apps.acgme.org/ads/Public/R...6&SpecialtyId=3&IncludePreAccreditation=false

Continued accreditation with a warning. No big deal. The PD has fixed the problem. Emory is not in jeopardy whatsoever of losing accreditation

Emory is not on probation. Any med student who matches at Emory will do just fine.

Reactions: 2 users
Just an FYI to this dead thread, there's no warning either anymore. Full accreditation.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user