Emory vs Hofstra (Zucker)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chicago_Bob

Reaction score
Still early days and things might change, but I am a planner and wanted to get people's opinions. Still haven't heard anything about financial aid from either, so let's assume they are equal for simplicity. Both schools have exciting possibilities, and I think I would be successful at either. The specialties that I have been exposed to and have interest in are probably more competitive than not (plastics, urology, maybe derm), but I am also not set on any specialty and mainly don't want to limit myself by the school I choose. Both of these schools I trust that I could be pretty competitive. I really don't have a preference right now, and I don't think one came across in my pros/cons.

Hofstra:
Pros:
  • Curriculum: Early clinical experience, free response assessment → high Step scores
  • True P/F and grading in general seems to be lenient for students
  • Location: While many would tend to say LI is boring, I kind of think it would be nice to be in NY with access to the city but not in Manhattan. Haven’t actually visited the school so it could be worse than I am envisioning.
  • Prestige: Seems like it is a well regarded school despite lower rankings
  • Northwell
  • Likely want to end up in northeast but also not a definite
  • Smaller class size (100 students)

Cons:
  • Curriculum: Kind of feels unstructured to a degree, large deviation from traditional curricula (could be good but feel like this style is not yet appreciated by those who matter ie program directors)
    • But lots of small mandatory things to keep track of
    • Almost cluttered
  • Prestige: If I choose something more competitive, it is not a well ranked school
  • No derm/plastics on match list (could be because no one was interested)
  • Can’t imagine it would be difficult to find research, but seems less research focused (not ideal for competitive specialties)

Emory:
Pros:
  • Prestige and match list: Well established school who always does well
  • Curriculum: 18 month pre-clinical, more traditional
  • Research: More of a research school and dedicated research time for all students
  • Community: A lot of outreach/community focus
  • Grady

Cons:
    • Don’t want to match in the South (but match list is all over US)
  • Curriculum: 15 required rotations plus a “capstone” doesn’t seem like a ton of time for elective rotations even though they claim there is.
    • Shorter rotations may be nice for the ones I don’t like but worse for the ones I do
  • Really dislike A+ to F grading scale for clerkships/research
    • Could be that most people do fine and isn’t that much different than H/HP/P/F but I feel like there is a lot more room for competition
  • Know a student who has to drive like 45+ minutes (without traffic) for early clinical exposure site (random assignment)
  • Medium class size (130 students) - not really a con just less favorable

Members don't see this ad.

If you didn't mention plastics, urology, and derm, I'd say hofstra but because of your interests, Emory will facilitate getting the necessary research imo.

Reactions: 1 users
Based on your interest in competitive specialties, I think Emory makes the most sense for you. You will definitely find many research opportunities and a stronger match list at Emory. Also, I think there is something to be said about having a less "experimental" curriculum.

Reactions: 1 user
Emory is a more established school and huge in surgery if that's where you're leaning.

Hofstra is a great school and you will be successful at both, but unless there is a big financial difference, I'd go Emory.

Members don't see this ad :)
Emory is a better school. That said, you have some strong personal cons for Emory. In the end, you need to go where you'll be happy. Just make sure your cons about Emory and Atlanta are as significant as you state.

Kind of what I expected and was thinking, but I appreciate the comments. Definitely still interested in hearing other people’s opinions. Any current students students from either school?