Emory vs. Mt. Sinai

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yamaooka

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know these threads have been beaten to death, but I thought I'd see if anyone has new insights on this matchup.

It seems like the best thing Mt. Sinai has going for it is:

a.) It's in New York.
b.) The anatomy labs have a nice view.

...or at least that's what they focused on most on interview day. To me, it seems like both have incredible patient populations, and great locations. Is there any merit to the statement that Emory is a better bet because it has the University affiliation?

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

For me, Mount Sinai has alot more going for it:
1) amazing, happy, laid-back students
2) great support system from faculty and administration
3) yes, location is a major plus, especially the area in New York it is in
4) great opportunities to do community work, both locally in East Harlem, or globally, like their Belize program
5) pass-fail system cannot be left out, although most ivy's have this
6) research opportunities are vast, especially since not competing with undergraduates
7) housing provided, and it's pretty cool housing for location and price

To me, these threads seem to be very irrelevant. Since you mentioned no qualities of Emory in your question that make it a hard choice. It seems evident that you are planning to attend Sinai, and that you just want assurance you made the 'right choice.'

Both are good schools, I personally don't think the University affiliation has any efect on anything, just go wherever fits your personal criteria.

Members don't see this ad :)
To me, these threads seem to be very irrelevant. Since you mentioned no qualities of Emory in your question that make it a hard choice. It seems evident that you are planning to attend Sinai, and that you just want assurance you made the 'right choice.'

Actually, it's funny you say that. I'm currently on the waitlist at Sinai, and am wondering if I should continue to "aggresively show interest" to them. I was absolutely blown away by Emory and would love to go there, and was only so-so impressed with Sinai, yet from all the things I hear people say about Sinai, I want to be able to give them the benefit of the doubt. I wanted to hear others' opinions on the matter.

Which is cheaper (including cost of living)?

Actually, it's funny you say that. I'm currently on the waitlist at Sinai, and am wondering if I should continue to "aggresively show interest" to them. I was absolutely blown away by Emory and would love to go there, and was only so-so impressed with Sinai, yet from all the things I hear people say about Sinai, I want to be able to give them the benefit of the doubt. I wanted to hear others' opinions on the matter.

why put yourself through all the trouble of waiting for Sinai.. just go to emory since you already have an acceptance.. in my mind i think it's a great choice!

Hey,
I have the same decision to make, except for me it's MSSM v Emory v UC Davis. I was leaning towards Emory... Cool new curriculum, new med school building, Grady, CDC, ACS, Yerkes all nearby, potential for mph at the Rollins school of Public Health, lots of Coca Cola money.

But then I got their financial aid package, and saw that they gave me nothing. Not even loans! (can you tell I'm bitter?) So, besides the staffords ($38500), I have to come up with over $20K each year to meet the budget.

So, I'm now thinking more seriously about MSSM, hoping that the second look will show me some cool programs that can make up for what I'd miss at Emory. If I'm going to be $240000 in debt, why not be $240000 in debt in NYC?

On the third hand (although I guess this doesn't apply to you), why not be $180000 in debt in Sacramento?

I'd say, keep on the MSSM waitlist. Besides the massive debt, they are both great options. For some people though, it really does just come down to which city you will be happier in.

go to harvard. you'll thank me later.