Emory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radapplicant1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anything to be made of Emory taking multiple Caribbean grads in the past 2 classes? Seems odd for such a highly ranked program.

Members don't see this ad.

I dunno about you, but myself and a lot of my classmates didn't really like Emory. Weird feel, huge program, fractionated sites, maybe not the most sociable people. The fact that they had numerous unfilled spots in the last few years doesn't speak well. Big name, yeah, but theres a reason they had to soap places.

Is there anything to be made of Emory taking multiple Caribbean grads in the past 2 classes? Seems odd for such a highly ranked program.

Yale also takes several Caribbean grads. This usually just means the program didn't fill with top US grads - for whatever reason they chose to go elsewhere. This often speaks to the competitiveness of the particular program but not necessarily the quality of training. Personally, nothing against Caribbean grads, they frequently go on to be great residents.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They both are also pretty large programs for radiology and in locations that people don't necessarily want to live in - Atlanta due to terrible traffic and multiple hospital locations and New Haven because well....New Haven.

I think they both offer good training, but it's hard to fill that many spots with US MDs when they can go elsewhere for equal/better training and better location. Emory doesn't interview DOs yet either as far as I know. Yale does.

The sense I have gotten is that accepting DO's and IMG's is a sign of a less competitive program. Some programs will literally go unmatched rather than suffer what can be seen as a ding to their reputation. Several of these programs went unmatched (less than 100 percent filled) a couple of years ago.

New Haven is arguably no less pleasant a city to live in as is Durham, but Duke always fills 1oo percent with AMG's. Yale tends to fill 100 percent as well.

Maybe. Maybe not. I would argue its hard to say if the chicken or the egg came first. Plus, alot of "better" is subjective.

Their board pass rate is nearly identicial. Their job placement is both stellar. I mean a diploma that says "Yale" stands out to a patient much more than Duke, which for most people represents a good college basketball team.

The grass is always greener.

Plus, if you go to Yale, your mom will be so so proud. She can always tell people that you trained at Yale, not like UVA, U Michigan, University of Washington or some school like that. I mean UVA's actually in the rural south!

I wouldn't change the ranking of Emory on your ROL because of 1-2 caribbean grads. That said, I echo a lot of people on the thread, Emory was fine but nothing about it really made me love the place. Some odd personality types, disjointed sites, Atlanta traffic etc...all that I could probably deal with just fine, but why not go elsewhere if you can. Had some reservations about IR there. Major inefficiencies in the hospital, IR fellows staying until 9-10pm everyday not because they are so busy with cases, but because they can't get rooms turned over quickly. Did not seem like a well oiled machine. I have no problem working hard, but if I'm staying that late every day, I want to come out with a higher number of cases than average.

Maybe. Maybe not. I would argue its hard to say if the chicken or the egg came first. Plus, alot of "better" is subjective.

Their board pass rate is nearly identicial. Their job placement is both stellar. I mean a diploma that says "Yale" stands out to a patient much more than Duke, which for most people represents a good college basketball team.

The grass is always greener.

Because radiologists have lots of patients...Haha. Someone must go to Yale ;) I'll be honest, I just did not like the program/had a bad interview experience there.

Maybe Emory should shrink their class sizes from 14 to 10-12 and eliminate one or two of their training sites for residents, like the midtown campus or the VA. This would simultaneously give them fewer spots to fill and eliminate some of the legitimate concerns about travel to so many different sites.

As far as Atlanta, I'm not really sure why it gets such a bad rap. I lived there for many years and it is a wonderful city that is very affordable, great for single folks and families alike. Traffic is bad, but the worst traffic is in the northern suburbs of the city and not around the Emory campus.

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe Emory should shrink their class sizes from 14 to 10-12 and eliminate one or two of their training sites for residents, like the midtown campus or the VA. This would simultaneously give them fewer spots to fill and eliminate some of the legitimate concerns about travel to so many different sites.

As far as Atlanta, I'm not really sure why it gets such a bad rap. I lived there for many years and it is a wonderful city that is very affordable, great for single folks and families alike. Traffic is bad, but the worst traffic is in the northern suburbs of the city and not around the Emory campus.

Unfortunately, staff at big academic centers want MORE cheap labor so they can sit in their offices/work on papers.

Members don't see this ad :)

Are residency slots ever reduced? I thought they only go up and not down?

Did anyone hear from Emory post-interview?

Last edited:
I know one of the SGU graduates that matched there. He was a rockstar on paper, Harvard undergrad, research, >260 on steps. no doubt he will probably be better than most of this co residents..

Just because someone went to Harvard undergrad or have good score doesn't mean that they'll be amazing residents. Our best resident went to a no name DO school and a no name undergrad.

I know one of the SGU graduates that matched there. He was a rockstar on paper, Harvard undergrad, research, >260 on steps. no doubt he will probably be better than most of this co residents..

Where you went to undergrad really doesnt mean much at this stage of the game.

Congratz to that guy though. Even with 260s and research, it would have been tough to match at emory coming from SGU.

How can you see where their residents went to medical school? They don't list it on their website.

I happened to see this thread, and I'll give you my 2 cents. I usually just stick to the AMA thread that I've been moderating. You can review that thread to see some of the limitations programs have in selecting US-IMG, non US IMG (aka FMG), and DO candidates.

Having said that, I would be a little cautious about assuming that a program with one of those candidates as residents has a problem. Sometimes there's just a special candidate that you really feel is going to be great. Agreed, if a program consistently has a number of non-AMG candidates, it usually means they are finding better candidates in the non-AMG pile compared to the AMG pile--and that may be that top AMGs don't want to go there. However, allow for the possibility of the occasional non AMG candidate who just comes across as awesome.

In a match within the last few years, our #1 candidate on our match list was a non-AMG candidate. She ended up matching at MGH. We couldn't get her.

Some US IMG students (in the Caribbean, usually) have had prior professional careers and end up outside the US as the path of least resistance for reentry into medicine--some of these individuals are incredibly mature and focused and are quite attractive candidates to residency selection committees.

I know nothing about the pluses and minuses of Emory. It does seem that Yale consistently has a few non AMG residents and I don't really know why. Just saying that the occasional non AMG resident might say more about that resident than the program.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I happened to see this thread, and I'll give you my 2 cents. I usually just stick to the AMA thread that I've been moderating. You can review that thread to see some of the limitations programs have in selecting US-IMG, non US IMG (aka FMG), and DO candidates.

Having said that, I would be a little cautious about assuming that a program with one of those candidates as residents has a problem. Sometimes there's just a special candidate that you really feel is going to be great. Agreed, if a program consistently has a number of non-AMG candidates, it usually means they are finding better candidates in the non-AMG pile compared to the AMG pile--and that may be that top AMGs don't want to go there. However, allow for the possibility of the occasional non AMG candidate who just comes across as awesome.

In a match within the last few years, our #1 candidate on our match list was a non-AMG candidate. She ended up matching at MGH. We couldn't get her.

Some US IMG students (in the Caribbean, usually) have had prior professional careers and end up outside the US as the path of least resistance for reentry into medicine--some of these individuals are incredibly mature and focused and are quite attractive candidates to residency selection committees.

I know nothing about the pluses and minuses of Emory. It does seem that Yale consistently has a few non AMG residents and I don't really know why. Just saying that the occasional non AMG resident might say more about that resident than the program.

I know another IMG graduate who matched IR, I think he was one of only a handful of IMGs to match IR-integrated last year. He is stellar and already well-known in IR with over 30+ publications. Don't discount someone because they went to the Caribbean or international med school, they may be much more mature/established than you know.

I know another IMG graduate who matched IR, I think he was one of only a handful of IMGs to match IR-integrated last year. He is stellar and already well-known in IR with over 30+ publications. Don't discount someone because they went to the Caribbean or international med school, they may be much more mature/established than you know.

Are we talking about FMGs or IMGs?

I dunno about you, but myself and a lot of my classmates didn't really like Emory. Weird feel, huge program, fractionated sites, maybe not the most sociable people. The fact that they had numerous unfilled spots in the last few years doesn't speak well. Big name, yeah, but theres a reason they had to soap places.

Emory doesn't have to soap because of low applicants - they deliberately soap so they can get the super smart (but unmatched) neurosurg/ortho/ENT/IR applicants who decide to soap into radiology.

Emory doesn't have to soap because of low applicants - they deliberately soap so they can get the super smart (but unmatched) neurosurg/ortho/ENT/IR applicants who decide to soap into radiology.

Why can't they match the super smart radiology applicants?

Why can't they match the super smart radiology applicants?

Probably too big of a program. I don't know anything about the program besides the fact I know a former classmate who is a resident there now. Very odd person and perhaps was on the spectrum.

I had a question to ask regarding Emory. My goal is to go to Emory DR as my SO will be in grad school in the same city. I currently attend a state medical school in Georgia and I went to Emory for undergraduate, but unfortunately I do not have any connections there. I have included my stats below.

I am trying to figure out if I should schedule an away rotation at Emory during M4 (after Step 2CK but before ERAS opens). I have heard that it is hard to stand out, especially on an radiology audition rotation as it is mostly shadowing.... On the other hand, I have also heard that it would help in making connections. I am worried that I will not leave a favorable impression (for whatever reason) and that I would have been better off if I have just let my
application speak for myself. Emory is my dream and I feel as though my step score and regional ties is enough to get me to the interview stage already. I would appreciate any other thoughts or comments.

I am in the middle of M3 right now but I hear that it takes a lot of planning to get an away rotation scheduled.

Medical School: State School (M.D. in SE region), start of third year (2 rotations in)
Preclinical: top quartile , Not AOA
Step 1: 253
Step 2: not taken yet
Clerkships: Honors in Family Med, on elective right now (rads)
Research: multiple poster presentations and multiple case reports

I had a question to ask regarding Emory. My goal is to go to Emory DR as my SO will be in grad school in the same city. I currently attend a state medical school in Georgia and I went to Emory for undergraduate, but unfortunately I do not have any connections there. I have included my stats below.

I am trying to figure out if I should schedule an away rotation at Emory during M4 (after Step 2CK but before ERAS opens). I have heard that it is hard to stand out, especially on an radiology audition rotation as it is mostly shadowing.... On the other hand, I have also heard that it would help in making connections. I am worried that I will not leave a favorable impression (for whatever reason) and that I would have been better off if I have just let my
application speak for myself. Emory is my dream and I feel as though my step score and regional ties is enough to get me to the interview stage already. I would appreciate any other thoughts or comments.

I am in the middle of M3 right now but I hear that it takes a lot of planning to get an away rotation scheduled.

Medical School: State School (M.D. in SE region), start of third year (2 rotations in)
Preclinical: top quartile , Not AOA
Step 1: 253
Step 2: not taken yet
Clerkships: Honors in Family Med, on elective right now (rads)
Research: multiple poster presentations and multiple case reports

I would definitely do an away and let the PD know your situation. If you can squeeze in a case report or something while there, that would give you a strong edge.

You have a good shot with your stats alone, but doing an away will get your foot in the door.

Thats all I needed to hear! Will get started on my VSAS immediately .... I have not been assigned a mentor in the rads department yet, but I have spoken with the PD many times and I will let the PD know my situation . Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it!

I will definitely aim to pump out a case report there.