emory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DarkChild

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone know anything about emory.
are there any current students on this board.
how about some applicants who are all over this school?
it looks really nice and I've heard great things about the undergrad/campus but not about the medschool.
any help would be mucho appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I think I recall a bit of Emory bashing on this site a while ago. Not sure why...
I'm still applying there. The campus is beautiful, and the CDC is right there. Also, I spoke with someone who is a resident and knows 2 residents that went to Emory Med Schoool who really liked it.

Originally posted by DarkChild
it looks really nice and I've heard great things about the undergrad/campus but not about the medschool.
any help would be mucho appreciated.

exact opposite. undergrad (at least the student body) can be a bear at times, but the med school is excellent. you have a pm forthcoming

Members don't see this ad :)
I did apply to Emory. I believe that it is a great school. I worked with an MD who attended med school there. A lot of students from top undergrad schools are enrolled in their program. They are actually trying to recruit more minorities. I would definitely considering going there. Emory is known for giving away tons of money. I had a friend who received a $100,000 scholarship for her undergrad education. She's also a minority who's now in her 3rd year of medical school at Harvard.

emory is pretty awesome. i talked to a dean there recently (quite by accident) and he is honestly the nicest med authority figure i have yet to run into. they just purchased a new medical center near snellville, GA. he did give me one piece of valuable advice--KEEP calling the school to make sure they got your file/recs! medschools don't mind pulling up your files to let you know (although some staff do sound impatient) if your app is complete.

Originally posted by mvervaine
KEEP calling the school to make sure they got your file/recs! medschools don't mind pulling up your files to let you know (although some staff do sound impatient) if your app is complete.

if emory med school admissions is anything like other school processes, i cant explain to you how great a piece of advice this is. i've had more documents inexplicably lost or held up at EU than an accountant at Arthur Andersen. great school though :)

There are in deed two distinct sides to the Emory argument. I have known people that are extremely unhappy at Emory for what they perceive to be as a very competitive environment. Anatomy labs are structured so that students must teach and rely on each other. Examinations are intense with all examinations falling on the same day. Thus, be prepared for the pressure. The school emphasizes specialities, and is research oriented so expect more attention to details, and less of an emphasis on holistic approach of medicine.. Some criticism has been given to the true level of clinical preparation you are given before you are tossed into the wards.. Nonetheless, Emory may be a good match for someone who is highly self motivated, can deal with competition, and is interested in the medical specialities. It would help to have alot of money too, because Emory is more expensive than John's Hopkins, but gives a full ride to a few students each year. A recent trend and interactions have suggested that Emory is placing a great deal of emphasis on recrutiing statistically qualified applicants with GPA's above 3.7 on avg, and mcats well above 30 as it seems they are trying to replicate an image of the ivy league schools. Personally, if you think you might be interested in a primary care career, there may be programs out there that will prepare you as well or clinically better than Emory. Where you go to medical school is not nearly as significant as where you will do your residency. When considering match rates of top schools vs your state school, keep in mind that there is a fallacy. Top schools typically get the applicants with the best scores so they will typically do better on their USMLE's, and thus match better. If you are a strong applicant, and choose to go to your state school like many do for financial or family considerations, you will likely be one of the people that matches well from your state school. In the end, the USMLE is the greater equalizer and measures how much you work your tail off, not what school you came from.

Just my thoughts,

Rampant

Wow! :eek: Very impressive first post!! Welcome to SDN!!! :)

Emory may have a great med school, but where else in the US can go to Coke U! If you love coke you should come here. Pepsi cannot be found within a 10 mile radius of the university.:D Your saturday afternoons will not be a bore anymore, Im planning on starting the football team at Emory. We will no longer be undefeated.;)

You get to be in one of the nicer parts of the metro-Atlanta area. Not like Georgia Tech. My friend's brother wouldn't pick him up at GaTech. He made him take MARTA out of the area first. :)

-RA

Random Access,

Tech isn't in that bad of an area. We are in the heart of midtown. If you want to get to the clubs or anything we are a short distance away. Emory on the other hand is a long ways from anything, and isn't even near a MARTA rail stop. I've walked around well past midnight and NEVER had anything happen to me besides an occassional bum ask me for money.

Originally posted by SunnyS81
Random Access,

Tech isn't in that bad of an area. We are in the heart of midtown. If you want to get to the clubs or anything we are a short distance away. Emory on the other hand is a long ways from anything, and isn't even near a MARTA rail stop. I've walked around well past midnight and NEVER had anything happen to me besides an occassional bum ask me for money.

No idea. I've never been there, but my friend always complained about it, and so did his brother. I guess hearsay isn't always reliable...

The bum asking for money thing...true of any urban environment I guess.

-RA

+pissed+

sorry to vent (you non-trads, don't read this), but this school is pissing me off in a grande-mal-way. my app should have been completed 8/19 but by 9/15 they insisted they still didn't have my LORs so i begged my premed com to send another set. After this i assumed all was well, until 2 days ago, when i received an email inquiring after the whereabouts of my LORs. WTF?!!! so i got my premed com to give me the tracking numbers to the fedex packages they'd sent, and it turns out BOTH packets were received at emory, the first on 8/20, the second 9/17!! so i relayed this to the adm secretary at emory and forced her to go through all the junk mail they have yet to file, and she finally found them. it is now 10/9 and my app has only JUST been completed! :mad:

Originally posted by mvervaine
+pissed+

sorry to vent (you non-trads, don't read this), but this school is pissing me off in a grande-mal-way. my app should have been completed 8/19 but by 9/15 they insisted they still didn't have my LORs so i begged my premed com to send another set. After this i assumed all was well, until 2 days ago, when i received an email inquiring after the whereabouts of my LORs. WTF?!!! so i got my premed com to give me the tracking numbers to the fedex packages they'd sent, and it turns out BOTH packets were received at emory, the first on 8/20, the second 9/17!! so i relayed this to the adm secretary at emory and forced her to go through all the junk mail they have yet to file, and she finally found them. it is now 10/9 and my app has only JUST been completed! :mad:

:laugh:

yup, thats Emory for you :rolleyes:

Entertaining and informative discussion, no doubt.

I'll be there in a week and a half to interview, and I'm definitely looking forward to it. Luckily, they got all my application materials in August. : )

Originally posted by SunnyS81
Emory on the other hand is a long ways from anything, and isn't even near a MARTA rail stop.

what in Atlanta IS near a rail stop? :laugh:

worst public transit....EVER!!!!!!

i dont know about long ways from anything, its a >10 min drive (without traffic) to the highlands, buckhead, etc. But yeah, people who complain the area that Tech is in (mainly the obscenely uptight kids at Coke U)are absolute idiots, just because its an urban area doesn't preclude it to being a ghetto :rolleyes:

DW,

Get out of the smog and traffic... Come to MCG with us <G>
Pay a little less tuition, yawn..

Originally posted by Rampant
DW,

Get out of the smog and traffic... Come to MCG with us <G>
Pay a little less tuition, yawn..

well, i dont like golf, so i'm not sure how much i'd like augusta :laugh:

congrats on MCG rampant :clap: i dont think they're made any contact with us regular decision kids, since they've probably taken 1/3 of their class ED already

i have a bunch of interviews already, but if it came down to MCG versus Emory, MCG all the way :)

Haven't ever played a full round of golf.. Going to have a learn now though.. Alot of the faculty are avid golfers on the side and sometimes golf with students, so I hear. Maybe I can get on the Masters course, probably only dreaming.

Anyway, Best of Luck DW, You will prob get into JH or Harvard or something =)..

I had to make a tough decision based on early decision advantage and the absolutely great people I met at MCG and I don't regret it one bit.

--

Originally posted by DW
what in Atlanta IS near a rail stop? :laugh:

worst public transit....EVER!!!!!!

i dont know about long ways from anything, its a >10 min drive (without traffic) to the highlands, buckhead, etc. But yeah, people who complain the area that Tech is in (mainly the obscenely uptight kids at Coke U)are absolute idiots, just because its an urban area doesn't preclude it to being a ghetto :rolleyes:

Well my friend complained about Tech, and he went there...

But yeah...public transit isn't as good as it good be. I heard part of it is because two of the counties north of Atlanta (Cobb and Dekalb? I don't remember) won't let MARTA into their counties because they think public transportation brings black people, and they don't want black people in their counties.

Traffic in Atlanta is ridiculous too. Gotta love the Perimeter; even on Saturday afternoon, it's packed... And don't get me started on the smog. You can cut the air in Atlanta with a knife!