Emotions Anonymous

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Attending1985

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with this organization? would you recommend it to your patients?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have any experience with this organization? would you recommend it to your patients?

Never heard of it. Would 'Step 1' be: "We admitted we were powerless over emotions, our lives had become unmanageable."

Would they be committed to abstinence from emotions?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Sorry I was a sarcastic a-hole. Now the conversation can commence :). Seriously, I have never heard of EE, but it may be of value, just--perhaps--distinct from the AA tradition. We work in a very entertaining field :)

You know, you all could just google it...
Emotions Anonymous 12 Step recovery program

Never heard of it. Would 'Step 1' be: "We admitted we were powerless over emotions, our lives had become unmanageable."
Pretty much.

1. We admitted we were powerless over our emotions, that our lives had become unmanageable.

2.Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.

5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.

6. were entirely ready to have God remove all thse defects of character.

7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.

8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed and became willing to make amends to them all.

9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.

11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.

12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

Pretty much.

1. We admitted we were powerless over our emotions, that our lives had become unmanageable.

2.Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.

8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed and became willing to make amends to them all.

9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.

11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.

12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

I may not be a very wise man, at all...but at least I have a few wrong things figured out.

I'm a huge fan of 12 Step programs if people can get benefit and don't suffer for it if they become overly zealous about them.

I like Adult Children of Alcoholics/Dysfunctional Families more personally, looking at other ones like SEA (Self Esteem Anonymous) or EA, but I tell anyone it's a matter of preference, and to look into them. There's plenty of info online and cheap books, sometimes free at meetings.

I can't say there's evidence behind me, but I think that's hardly the point. Whatever you find value in, you find value in.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm a huge fan of 12 Step programs if people can get benefit and don't suffer for it if they become overly zealous about them.

I like Adult Children of Alcoholics/Dysfunctional Families more personally, looking at other ones like SEA (Self Esteem Anonymous) or EA, but I tell anyone it's a matter of preference, and to look into them. There's plenty of info online and cheap books, sometimes free at meetings.

I can't say there's evidence behind me, but I think that's hardly the point. Whatever you find value in, you find value in.

Surrendering to a wisdom greater than yourself and embedded in the world outside of your own ego is always an adaptive idea.

Reactions: 1 users
One of my attendings back in residency was a fan. Never had much experience with any of my own patients, though I have a well-received VA anger management group I can refer to.

It's underappreciated how many male patients have complete sh-t emotion management skills, though it all gets coded as "PTSD".

One of my attendings back in residency was a fan. Never had much experience with any of my own patients, though I have a well-received VA anger management group I can refer to.

It's underappreciated how many male patients have complete sh-t emotion management skills, though it all gets coded as "PTSD".

Well, PTSD is eminently more service connectable.

Never heard of it until now.

About 1-2 years ago I saw something called a "cuddle therapist" or something like it. Basically you pay people to lay down with them and cuddle for about an hour and you pay them. I have no idea if there's any science behind it (heck I figure it causes oxytocin release) but it seemed that the therapists weren't licensed. Also each online business I saw kept adding disclaimers that the therapist will have no relations with you outside of the cuddling and there was no sex allowed!

Never heard of it until now.

About 1-2 years ago I saw something called a "cuddle therapist" or something like it. Basically you pay people to lay down with them and cuddle for about an hour and you pay them. I have no idea if there's any science behind it (heck I figure it causes oxytocin release) but it seemed that the therapists weren't licensed. Also each online business I saw kept adding disclaimers that the therapist will have no relations with you outside of the cuddling and there was no sex allowed!

I feel like I could make more money by having people pay me to not cuddle them.

I'd imagine they were not licensed therapists, because this is a quick way to lose that license.

Pretty much.

This is laudable, but overall a terrible approach to improving emotion regulation. Part of it involves learning that you are NOT powerless over your emotions and you can modify your own responses to them.

This is laudable, but overall a terrible approach to improving emotion regulation. Part of it involves learning that you are NOT powerless over your emotions and you can modify your own responses to them.

Yeah, but then you don't get gullible people to buy into your fairy tales in this case.

I think it could be conceptualized in a DBT framework. We are not in control of our feelings they simply exist but we can take back control of our lives in spite of this.

I think it could be conceptualized in a DBT framework. We are not in control of our feelings they simply exist but we can take back control of our lives in spite of this.

That's more or less a paraphrase of my stock counseling spiel to patients on this topic.