Employer help with student loan debt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Lots of talk around here lately about student loan debt. Do any of you get student loan repayment benefits through your employer? My company provides quarterly payments to employees who provide evidence of student loan payment. It’s not a huge amount, but covers about 45% of my payments (it’s not a % based program- everyone gets the same amount or the max amount they pay, whichever is less). Only catch is you have to be employee for at least a year, and agree to pay back any of the money from the year before the date you choose to leave the agency. Just curious if others have encountered such programs.

Members don't see this ad.

VA offers it for eligible positions, which are typically designated as "hard to fill." This can sometimes include psychologists or certain specialties thereof, but they stipulate that it can only be used to repay loans that were used for covered expenses. If you took out more loans than your university stipulates would have been required for cost of attendance, those aren't eligible. At least per my understanding.

I don't recall the maximum amounts annually or overall, but it's for up to (I believe) 5 years. Interested folks can Google it (Education Debt Reduction Program, or EDRP).

VA offers it for eligible positions, which are typically designated as "hard to fill." This can sometimes include psychologists or certain specialties thereof, but they stipulate that it can only be used to repay loans that were used for covered expenses. If you took out more loans than your university stipulates would have been required for cost of attendance, those aren't eligible. At least per my understanding.

I don't recall the maximum amounts annually or overall, but it's for up to (I believe) 5 years. Interested folks can Google it (Education Debt Reduction Program, or EDRP).

I think that is correct, but as you said I have only seen this offered in out of the way locales like Montana or Wyoming.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have VA student loan repayment. It covered all of the loans I took out in graduate school. I think they don't look at the university's cost of attendance, but they do consider whether the education is related to the work you are now performing. So if you got a degree in English as an undergrad, they wouldn't pay those costs. At least per my understanding.

Location varies. I am not in a "desirable" location but I'm not far out of the way and am very close to major cities. I consider myself extremely fortunate and not a day goes by that I am not grateful that I will be free of the frightening burden of student debt.

Reactions: 1 user
I have VA student loan repayment. It covered all of the loans I took out in graduate school. I think they don't look at the university's cost of attendance, but they do consider whether the education is related to the work you are now performing. So if you got a degree in English as an undergrad, they wouldn't pay those costs. At least per my understanding.

Location varies. I am not in a "desirable" location but I'm not far out of the way and am very close to major cities. I consider myself extremely fortunate and not a day goes by that I am not grateful that I will be free of the frightening burden of student debt.

I'm curious, which program did you qualify for?