-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Employers asking for facebook password...
Started by FoamD
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Have heard of it happening, never at a professional level though. I'd definitely request to receive the same access to the recruiter/boss's facebook and/or emails to make sure the company I may be working for is all they appear as well if ever asked.
Yeah, I don't think I would want to work for a company that wanted me to give them a password to my Facebook account. I mean I understand they want you to reflect well on the company, but that's a little much to me...
To the OP: If you haven't cleaned up your Facebook from your college years (if it even needs it), I would consider doing that. I'm pretty sure I have heard news stories about companies finding "sneaky" ways to see your account (don't quote me on that though).
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As an employer, I would have MANY concerns about hiring ANYONE that has a facebook/tweeter/instantgraming accounts. Defend it till death, if you must. I just find the insecurity rooted, egocentric psychology behind all this incessant social media to be very alarming. The idea people feel compelled to alert others that they recently took a dump or ate chili fries is beyond ridiculous.
In the store I work at, every worker (except me) is tethered to a cell phone. Taking pictures and posting nonsense all day long. How sad it must be to feel you will loose friends, family and loved ones, if you don't post or respond to internet junk every 3 seconds.
I think employers should look at the frequency of use on social media, more so than the contents. Many get plastered during their 'off' time. Although that's concerning, it is much more concerning, how much they need to post about it while they are 'on' at work.
In the store I work at, every worker (except me) is tethered to a cell phone. Taking pictures and posting nonsense all day long. How sad it must be to feel you will loose friends, family and loved ones, if you don't post or respond to internet junk every 3 seconds.
I think employers should look at the frequency of use on social media, more so than the contents. Many get plastered during their 'off' time. Although that's concerning, it is much more concerning, how much they need to post about it while they are 'on' at work.
There is a difference between having those accounts and using it all the time just like your cell phone that you pointed out. Your logic would therefore be that some people abuse their cell phones so there fore you will not hire anyone that has a cell phone.As an employer, I would have MANY concerns about hiring ANYONE that has a facebook/tweeter/instantgraming accounts. Defend it till death, if you must. I just find the insecurity rooted, egocentric psychology behind all this incessant social media to be very alarming. The idea people feel compelled to alert others that they recently took a dump or ate chili fries is beyond ridiculous.
In the store I work at, every worker (except me) is tethered to a cell phone. Taking pictures and posting nonsense all day long. How sad it must be to feel you will loose friends, family and loved ones, if you don't post or respond to internet junk every 3 seconds.
I think employers should look at the frequency of use on social media, more so than the contents. Many get plastered during their 'off' time. Although that's concerning, it is much more concerning, how much they need to post about it while they are 'on' at work.
I think California outlawed this one last year, never happened to me....I just do searches to see what's available publicly, usually that's enough.
If you do get asked....give the password, and if you don't get the job, sue the **** out of the company claiming discrimination under federal law since the top of your profile usually contains marital status, religion, etc. An enterprising attorney can construe the request to see your FB profile a backdoor way of asking questions illegal under federal law.
If you do get asked....give the password, and if you don't get the job, sue the **** out of the company claiming discrimination under federal law since the top of your profile usually contains marital status, religion, etc. An enterprising attorney can construe the request to see your FB profile a backdoor way of asking questions illegal under federal law.
As an employer, I would have MANY concerns about hiring ANYONE that has a facebook/tweeter/instantgraming accounts. Defend it till death, if you must. I just find the insecurity rooted, egocentric psychology behind all this incessant social media to be very alarming. The idea people feel compelled to alert others that they recently took a dump or ate chili fries is beyond ridiculous.
In the store I work at, every worker (except me) is tethered to a cell phone. Taking pictures and posting nonsense all day long. How sad it must be to feel you will loose friends, family and loved ones, if you don't post or respond to internet junk every 3 seconds.
I think employers should look at the frequency of use on social media, more so than the contents. Many get plastered during their 'off' time. Although that's concerning, it is much more concerning, how much they need to post about it while they are 'on' at work.
I think you have a misguided view of what social networks are. Sure, the things you described are on there, but there is also much more. Including real live discussion, communication, and the exchange of ideas. One may even consider SDN a social network. Using it at the workplace is another story though.
I think you have a misguided view of what social networks are. Sure, the things you described are on there, but there is also much more. Including real live discussion, communication, and the exchange of ideas. One may even consider SDN a social network. Using it at the workplace is another story though.
I am at work typing this right message, clearly I am a threat and must be destroyed.
What's your password, I'll make sure everything is ok.
I've heard of employers asking you to log in to facebook right there in the interview so they can view your profile. I've never have had it done to me before. I do like the previously mentioned idea of this practice being illegal since it gives discriminating details."asking for FB pass" Who is the idiot friend who told you that?
For me. I don't use FB. My Linkedin is public, you can access it anytime LOL.
Delete Facebook. It will be the best thing you will ever do.
Haven't touched face book since pharmacy school. Realized I don't give a damn about what my 18375 "friends" do and neither do they. Its just another time sink, and I got better things to do.Delete Facebook. It will be the best thing you will ever do.
HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL NOOOOO. They wanna look at your Facebook? Well fine. They want your password? F*CK OFF. I like the poster above who said, well then you ask them for their usernames and passwords and see what they say. No, it isn't "not professional" to have a Facebook. A lot of the people who tell you that are probably much older, think they are more mature than they really are, or don't like to keep up with technology and times. HOWEVER, having a Facebook, you are putting a persona online, available to everyone, and now people can judge you and assume things about you just by Google-ing your name.
Would I hire someone that keeps taking pictures of themselves going out, getting wasted, putting dumba** opinions and complaints, tweeting left and right about dumba** **** and drama? NO, I wouldn't.
Anyways, me, personally, I don't use twitter or instagram, but I do have a facebook which I keep on private. I am always on the job hunt and I don't want potential employers to try and look me up. Once I am comfortable with my employer and fellow employees then we open up with each other, that's been my experience so far with every place I've worked. I've worked at like 7 or 8 pharmacies by now.
Would I hire someone that keeps taking pictures of themselves going out, getting wasted, putting dumba** opinions and complaints, tweeting left and right about dumba** **** and drama? NO, I wouldn't.
Anyways, me, personally, I don't use twitter or instagram, but I do have a facebook which I keep on private. I am always on the job hunt and I don't want potential employers to try and look me up. Once I am comfortable with my employer and fellow employees then we open up with each other, that's been my experience so far with every place I've worked. I've worked at like 7 or 8 pharmacies by now.
I heard from a pharmacist that, during an interview, employers may ask you for your facebook password in order to look into your profile and get a better picture of you before hiring you.
Has this ever happened to you?
I was never asked for my facebook password, but a recruiter asked that I add her on facebook - she did it in a very friendly way, but I know she did it for a very serious reason!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wouldn't care. Go ahead. Log into a Facebook account that hasn't been touched since 2008. See what I care.
Besides...most of the savvy people on here scrubbed their online personas long ago. If you logged into my FB, it'd be pretty sanitized. Like my twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram, it represents an idealized version of me.
I've relegated the actual me to private email, snapchat, groupme, and in-person encounters, and to some extent SDN.
Summary: the tech savvy have moved on once parents started crashing the once exclusive FB party.
I've relegated the actual me to private email, snapchat, groupme, and in-person encounters, and to some extent SDN.
Summary: the tech savvy have moved on once parents started crashing the once exclusive FB party.
Do people not know how to use Facebook appropriately? Geez guys.... usually it's "late to the party" people who complain about FB (people on my feed are dumb, it's a total time sink, i prefer in person connections so no thanks). I think most people who grew up with social networking right out of high school--primitively w/ LJ, Xanga, etc... then moved on to the 2nd gen stuff like Friendster, Myspace, Facebook, G+, and more recently with Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, etc--on average know how to use it.
I don't feel particularly socially deprived, a hermit, or addicted. Facebook is a tool...whether you build houses or break windows depends on the motivation and skill level of the user.
I don't feel particularly socially deprived, a hermit, or addicted. Facebook is a tool...whether you build houses or break windows depends on the motivation and skill level of the user.
I heard from a pharmacist that, during an interview, employers may ask you for your facebook password in order to look into your profile and get a better picture of you before hiring you.
Has this ever happened to you?
Laugh at them and walk out the door.
You can also use social media to try to land a job... don't know if that works in the real world, but if your facebook is uber-professional, it couldn't hurt right? Still wouldn't give out a password though...
http://news.yahoo.com/how-to-use-social-media-to-land--or-lose--a-college-internship-200624473.html
http://news.yahoo.com/how-to-use-social-media-to-land--or-lose--a-college-internship-200624473.html
I've heard some employers are refusing to hire people who DON"T have Facebook or a social media account, thinking they are anti-social or trying to hide something.
As for giving out the password, I would politely tell them it is against Facebook's rules of conduct, and that I believe its important to follow rules that one has previously pledged to follow. Score!
As for giving out the password, I would politely tell them it is against Facebook's rules of conduct, and that I believe its important to follow rules that one has previously pledged to follow. Score!
As an employer, I would have MANY concerns about hiring ANYONE that has a facebook/tweeter/instantgraming accounts. Defend it till death, if you must. I just find the insecurity rooted, egocentric psychology behind all this incessant social media to be very alarming. The idea people feel compelled to alert others that they recently took a dump or ate chili fries is beyond ridiculous.
In the store I work at, every worker (except me) is tethered to a cell phone. Taking pictures and posting nonsense all day long. How sad it must be to feel you will loose friends, family and loved ones, if you don't post or respond to internet junk every 3 seconds.
I think employers should look at the frequency of use on social media, more so than the contents. Many get plastered during their 'off' time. Although that's concerning, it is much more concerning, how much they need to post about it while they are 'on' at work.
Good luck finding ANYONE to hire in the 21st century...
I'd be so happy just to find a job at this point I would just hand over my password. I could easily delete a bunch of my posts beforehand. I do remember years ago a Target recruiter trying to add me as a friend , but I never added her. I was not given an interview at the career fair, so why add her.
Last edited:
LOL, I'm at work right now and my browser has Facebook, Instagram, SDN, and a variety of other forums open.
all right, that is such a stupid question. If there's any employer ever asking you pw, say this
"Sure I'll give you my pw of facebook. Would you please give me your bank account number and password (+pin number) so I will make sure that you are financially good employer to me. Will you? "
or just say F U.
"Sure I'll give you my pw of facebook. Would you please give me your bank account number and password (+pin number) so I will make sure that you are financially good employer to me. Will you? "
or just say F U.
I am at work typing this right message, clearly I am a threat and must be destroyed.
My point wasn't to say it is the end of the world, but that it is understandable why all employers may not want to allow it, just as they don't allow some other forms of recreation/personal activities.
If asked for the password, I would deal with it like this 😏
Interviewer 1: Can we get your Facebook password?
Me: Sure, spierdalaj.
Interviewer 2: Huh? Can you spell that for me?
Me: S as in Sam, P as in Peter, I as in India, E as in Eric, R as in Robert, D as in David, A as in Ana, L as in Larry, A as in Ana, J as in Jane
Interviewer 1: Okay, thanks. We will give you a call when we make our decision.
*later on*
Interviewer 1: I can't log in to this candidate's account?
Interviewer 2: What's the passowrd?
Interviewer 1: Spierdalaj
Interviewer 2: Can you spell that for me?
Interviewer 1: S as in Sam, P as in Peter, I as in India, E as in Eric, R as in Robert, D as in David, A as in Ana, L as in Larry, A as in Ana, J as in Jane
Interviewer 2: Spier-da... laj?
Interviewer 1: Yes, spierdalaj.
Interviewer 2: What the heck does that mean?
Interviewer 1: No clue.
Interviewer 2: It's not working.
Interviewer 1: Are you sure you spelled it like I told you?
Interviewer 2: Yes, spier-da-laj.
*a few tries later the account locks out*
Interviewer 1: Darn it!
Interviewer 2: Oh well, we've got others to go through.
Interviewer 1: Are we calling this one back?
Interviewer 2: Uh... let's Google spierdalaj.
*Googles the word*
Interviewer 1: Oh, f*ck!
Spierdalaj [verb]: Polish for "f*ck off"
Interviewer 1: Can we get your Facebook password?
Me: Sure, spierdalaj.
Interviewer 2: Huh? Can you spell that for me?
Me: S as in Sam, P as in Peter, I as in India, E as in Eric, R as in Robert, D as in David, A as in Ana, L as in Larry, A as in Ana, J as in Jane
Interviewer 1: Okay, thanks. We will give you a call when we make our decision.
*later on*
Interviewer 1: I can't log in to this candidate's account?
Interviewer 2: What's the passowrd?
Interviewer 1: Spierdalaj
Interviewer 2: Can you spell that for me?
Interviewer 1: S as in Sam, P as in Peter, I as in India, E as in Eric, R as in Robert, D as in David, A as in Ana, L as in Larry, A as in Ana, J as in Jane
Interviewer 2: Spier-da... laj?
Interviewer 1: Yes, spierdalaj.
Interviewer 2: What the heck does that mean?
Interviewer 1: No clue.
Interviewer 2: It's not working.
Interviewer 1: Are you sure you spelled it like I told you?
Interviewer 2: Yes, spier-da-laj.
*a few tries later the account locks out*
Interviewer 1: Darn it!
Interviewer 2: Oh well, we've got others to go through.
Interviewer 1: Are we calling this one back?
Interviewer 2: Uh... let's Google spierdalaj.
*Googles the word*
Interviewer 1: Oh, f*ck!
Spierdalaj [verb]: Polish for "f*ck off"
http://nyti.ms/1b051jF NYTimes: Still on Facebook, but Finding Less to Like
Tl;dr = Facebook is for old people, anyway. The cool kids have moved on.
Tl;dr = Facebook is for old people, anyway. The cool kids have moved on.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 2K