Employment Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Big Don

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of taking a job collecting unpaid debts for a medical center in the Midwest. I was just wondering how this would look on my app or when I interview.

I realize the work is not cool but I need a job.

Members don't see this ad.

I am thinking of taking a job collecting unpaid debts for a medical center in the Midwest. I was just wondering how this would look on my app or when I interview.

I realize the work is not cool but I need a job.

Man's gotta eat. Don't think most people would give it a second thought.

If need be you could also probably spin it in a "positive" light as well. From "I called up deadbeats to demand payment" to "I worked with patients to come up with a repayment plan that fit their financial realities" and how it helped you think about how healthcare could be reformed.

Man's gotta eat. Don't think most people would give it a second thought.

If need be you could also probably spin it in a "positive" light as well. From "I called up deadbeats to demand payment" to "I worked with patients to come up with a repayment plan that fit their financial realities" and how it helped you think about how healthcare could be reformed.

Thanks. I feel really dirty. When I was younger, I used to help people appeal their insurance denials and used to fight insurance companies.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I feel really dirty. When I was younger, I used to help people appeal their insurance denials and used to fight insurance companies.

And I used to be a telemarketer:D (I'm leaving that out of my app though)

Personally, I think people are too emotional about financial issues when it's just business.

If it is at all possible, don't take this job. I am speaking from experience when I say that these types of collection gigs are soul-crushing. 90% of the time, the people you're collecting from aren't paying because they are broke as hell and about to lose their homes (especially in this economy). It's just one sad phone conversation after another.

But, if you have no other options and desperately need the money, it's a paycheck until you find something better (hint: anything is better. even janitorial work). Just don't let the negative atmosphere infect you like it did most of co-workers.

If it is at all possible, don't take this job. I am speaking from experience when I say that these types of collection gigs are soul-crushing. 90% of the time, the people you're collecting from aren't paying because they are broke as hell and about to lose their homes (especially in this economy). It's just one sad phone conversation after another.

But, if you have no other options and desperately need the money, it's a paycheck until you find something better (hint: anything is better. even janitorial work). Just don't let the negative atmosphere infect you like it did most of co-workers.

Yeah, I pretty much desperately need the money or else I will be getting collection calls. I think I am going to have to take it (until I find a better gig).