Nonclinical employment situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RespectTheChemistry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted for privacy

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Were you doing anything that will be on your medical school application between ages 22 and 27?

Reactions: 2 users
You’ve asked variants of this question a few times now, and this is not a concern :) You will presumably already say something about how you needed to withdraw from some semesters due to a medical condition which is now controlled. I think that pretty well covers your lack of work experience as well.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You don’t need to list every job, but it might be noticed if you had significant gaps (longer than a month or two). If you had a whole series of jobs that were very short term, perhaps you could list them in aggregate as temp work?

Were you doing anything that will be on your medical school application between ages 22 and 27?

I gradually earned about 90 college credits. I did quite a bit of volunteering too because it was much more flexible scheduling. (I was getting head injuries and breaking bones all the time too in addition to the driving thing.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I gradually earned about 90 college credits. I did quite a bit of volunteering too because it was much more flexible scheduling. (I was getting head injuries and breaking bones all the time too in addition to the driving thing.)
Then I think that's fine. We want you to be doing SOMETHING if you are physically capable of doing so, but it does not have to be paid employment. I have never looked at an application specifically to figure out if someone had paid employment consistently since they graduated college. If it does come up, while your epilepsy certainly played a role it sounds like the bigger issue was the lack of opportunities and lack of transportation where you were located, and I think it would also be fine to say it that way.

Thank you very much for your help! You're right. If I lived in an urban area where public transit was an option and there were simply more employers, I would have worked for pay much more consistently.

Just to clarify, I don't think the bolded describes my situation because I have not yet graduated college. I will graduate in May of 2023. I started earning credits towards this bachelor's when I was 20. They were extra slow-going towards the beginning because of the health problems. I have been in school to a variable extent for the past 7 years. It's the part-time semesters and W's from the health problems that have managed to stretch that so long.

The 22 mentioned in my post was just saying that I thought ADCOMs may not care if a traditional age college student hadn't had more than a year of consistent paid employment but when you're older, that's different. I thought they might be more likely to look for paid employment specifically given my chronological age so I thought I'd ask.

I don't think any of that matters or changes the advice, but I just wanted to clarify on the off-chance that it does.
I would not worry about it.