EMR for New Practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idoc

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be opening a brand new practice in July, and I am trying to figure out which EMR is best, and what features to look for when buying an EMR. I know that NextGen, MediNotes, and Compulink have relatively good/acceptable EMR's, but the screens look way to busy and they are all very expensive. Anyone have any advice on these?

Another EMR I was very impressed with was MdTeknix. I saw them down at Academy. The EMR was developed by a practicing ophthalmologist in Texas, and it appears to have everything I want. The screens are simple and intuitive, and data entry is done through touchscreen monitors (which I found to be very user friendly). Anyways, they are a small company and only 4 years old, so I am a little hesitant to jump in with both feet. However, the EMR only costs about $10,000 and with hardware and to link with my peripheral devices it would cost me about $25,000 total. Anyone have any info on this particular EMR or going with a small company like this?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I will be opening a brand new practice in July, and I am trying to figure out which EMR is best, and what features to look for when buying an EMR. I know that NextGen, MediNotes, and Compulink have relatively good/acceptable EMR's, but the screens look way to busy and they are all very expensive. Anyone have any advice on these?

Another EMR I was very impressed with was MdTeknix. I saw them down at Academy. The EMR was developed by a practicing ophthalmologist in Texas, and it appears to have everything I want. The screens are simple and intuitive, and data entry is done through touchscreen monitors (which I found to be very user friendly). Anyways, they are a small company and only 4 years old, so I am a little hesitant to jump in with both feet. However, the EMR only costs about $10,000 and with hardware and to link with my peripheral devices it would cost me about $25,000 total. Anyone have any info on this particular EMR or going with a small company like this?

Thanks!

A friend of mine setting up a new retina practice is going with NextGen. I believe they have retina specific charts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone told me that if you are starting your own practice, don't get EMR. The reasoning was that it is very expensive and you'll know better what you like after 2-3 months of practice. Another reason was that if you start your own practice, you won't be too busy in the beginning and won't benefit from EMR much (your staff will have plenty of time to file charts).

Unlike FP, ophthalmology has many patients that come once and either don't come back or come back in a year.

Also, after 2-3 months, you may revamp your progress note /clinic note forms. With EMR, that's just another fee they will charge.

All this advice is just advice given to me. It's not from personal experience. In residency, we use paper or the VA system.

Has anyone checked out http://www.srssoft.com/ ?

It's not really EMR, but is a system which scans all notes and documents for essentially paperless charting.

I will update this post in an attempt to help others from my quest to find the best EMR.

First, I have been considering going with paper charts at first because of the reasons mentioned in the above post, but I think the best use of the slow time in the beginning of your practice is to learn how to make the system work so that when you get busy, the EMR won't be slowing you down. I hope to work out the kinks in the beginning so to speak.

Besides MdTeknix, I have also found some other companies, and if anyone has any thoughts on these programs, I would be much abliged.

1. MedFlow: Ophthalmology specific EMR that appears to be a very popular choice. They have taken a unique approach and have an open partnership relationship with multiple other technology companies, allowing integration of many excellent applications, such as an online registration company, DragonNaturally Speaking, and a PACS system for viewing HVF/OCT/Fundus pics etc. These guys are my number one pick right now, but I am still at the beginning of my search. On the academy newsletter, there is an article about a practice in Ashville, NC that has purchased this EMR and is very happy with it.
here is a link: http://www.aao.org/aaoesite/bulletins/executive_200712.cfm?aaoecampid=eu5

Here is a link to the company: http://www.medflow.net/

2. NextGen: Very expensive, but a leader in the general medicine marketplace. Big company, likely to be able to adapt and not go belly up once you have learned and incorporated the system into your practice.
Downside: looks very complicated, no DragonNaturally Speaking app.

3. Compulink: Don't know much about them. Saw them at Academy this year and was fairly impressed. Screens are very busy though. From what I recall, they are pricey as well.

4. Medinotes: Again, don't know much except that they are fairly popular, but again, they are a general med EMR that has incorporated ophthalmology.

5. Maximeyes: Geared more for optometry, but will work with ophthalmology. If you have an optical shop, they supposedly have streamlined the payment process.

6. MDTeknix: Impressed with their software, unimpressed by the small size of the company. I am somewhat afraid of them going out of business and being left with an EMR that is obsolete and unable to be upgrade or incorporated into a new system.

idoc, thank you for your posts. I am thinking of going solo and using EMR from the start. Any thoughts since your last post?

idoc, thank you for your posts. I am thinking of going solo and using EMR from the start. Any thoughts since your last post?

Dude, turn on your e-mail or PM and I'll send you a message.

Top left (My Account) then "edit options" (on the left under settings and options)

I work for a small EMR company and I would say that would be the way to go. I am not just saying that because I work for one, however, I am saying so because you are just starting out. I have seen offices blow $50,000 dollars on a system and then wonder where the money has gone. You are already going to have a huge overhead and no Money coming in yet for at least 30 days. You are going to need all your credentialing done for all the payers, as well which can take more than 30 days. However, the hospital you affiliate with maybe able to help you with some of it. Also, be sure to ask the right questions. Especially, if you are going with an EMR outside your state. Ask them how long will it take to get your server and make sure you coordinate this with your IT person. Also, training is a huge issue. Remember, it's not how long someone gets trained but the quality of the training. Will someone come out to train or will you get a CD in the mail? And you do want your EMR to be user friendly. Anything you may skip or missed in training needs to be easy to pick up by surfing within the system. Also, are you looking to log into the system remotely. Is this easy to do? There are so many questions to ask but I think you have the right idea in starting out small. Then when you have gotten some money coming in, then you could think about switching to something bigger. Sorry, didn't meant to give a lecture...cheesh.