EMS Volunteering with No EMT-B certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bakanotnice

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been volunteering at my local EMS for a couple of months. I don’t have my EMT-B certification, as I don’t have enough money to take classes and time. Would it be looked down upon if I continued my EMS volunteering if I didn’t get my certification. My squad has been helpful in teaching me how to take BP, abrasion test, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

So what do you do as a volunteer? Have you thought about getting a job at a hospital/clinic to get clinical experiences?

So what do you do as a volunteer? Have you thought about getting a job at a hospital/clinic to get clinical experiences?

As a volunteer, not only do I help transport the patient but I take they BP, O2 saturation, etc. The only thing I’m not allowed to do is admit the patient into the ER. I was hoping that I could get volunteer job at a clinic as well. I love the team work aspect of EMS and wanted to continue to be a volunteer. Everyone at my squad is a volunteer.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As a volunteer, not only do I help transport the patient but I take they BP, O2 saturation, etc. The only thing I’m not allowed to do is admit the patient into the ER. I was hoping that I could get volunteer job at a clinic as well. I love the team work aspect of EMS and wanted to continue to be a volunteer. Everyone at my squad is a volunteer.
Do you have your MFR license? It's odd to me, unless you're in a severely underserved area, that this EMS agency is allowing an untrained volunteer assist in treating patients.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you have your MFR license? It's odd to me, unless you're in a severely underserved area, that this EMS agency is allowing an untrained volunteer assist in treating patients.
I do have my CPR/BLS. It’s 100% volunteer EMS service. I do treat them based on the supervision of the EMTs on call.

I agree. But it sort of sounds like they are all untrained volunteers. Where are the EMTs that are on call? Are they with you and you assist them when needed?

I agree. But it sort of sounds like they are all untrained volunteers. Where are the EMTs that are on call? Are they with you and you assist them when needed?
Yeah they are always on call.The EMTs communicate with the patient as I get there BP, O2 sats, etc and then confirm my readings as well. I assist them based on what they tell me to do.

First responder is a step down from EMT though their scope of practice is pretty close to the same.

Some services that like money use them as drivers

I don't think it would be looked down upon. It is volunteer work for a good cause, after all. But it would be best hedged against the benefit of other volunteering ventures or getting the certification. Does your squad not sponsor classes?

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

I have been volunteering at my local EMS for a couple of months. I don’t have my EMT-B certification, as I don’t have enough money to take classes and time. Would it be looked down upon if I continued my EMS volunteering if I didn’t get my certification. My squad has been helpful in teaching me how to take BP, abrasion test, etc.
This is a good experience. The important things to learn are not how to take a BP and so forth (we teach that in med school) but how to work as part of a team, how to deal with uncertainty, how to remain calm when emotions are high, how to speak to strangers in a way that will deescalate an emotional situation. This can be a good opportunit to grow in maturity and professionalism.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think it would be looked down upon. It is volunteer work for a good cause, after all. But it would be best hedged against the benefit of other volunteering ventures or getting the certification. Does your squad not sponsor classes?

Med School Tutors
Thank you for your insight. Unfortunately, no my squad does not sponsors an certification. But I am glad that they do teach me some basic.

This is a good experience. The important things to learn are not how to take a BP and so forth (we teach that in med school) but how to work as part of a team, how to deal with uncertainty, how to remain calm when emotions are high, how to speak to strangers in a way that will deescalate an emotional situation. This can be a good opportunit to grow in maturity and professionalism
This is a good experience. The important things to learn are not how to take a BP and so forth (we teach that in med school) but how to work as part of a team, how to deal with uncertainty, how to remain calm when emotions are high, how to speak to strangers in a way that will deescalate an emotional situation. This can be a good opportunit to grow in maturity and professionalism.
It this exactly the same outlook I have on my volunteering. Team work is extremely important in the medical field. Showing leadership is a good quality but working together as leaders is also crucial. There was a situation where the patient may had internal bleeding and at the time of the scene, we were going to transport them to a non-trauma center. I asked couple more questions to the workers and the patient, and we got more detail that lead to a potential conclusion of internal bleeding. We drove him to a trauma center that is 30 mins away and saved his life. This is way I wanted to be part of the First Aid team.

Thank you for your insight. Unfortunately, no my squad does not sponsors an certification. But I am glad that they do teach me some basic.

It sounds like you are in a good situation doing good work. I would continue there and see what other opportunities there are. Often volunteer squads can have leadership positions for things like fundraising or outreach and it lets you sharpen your leadership chops!

Med School Tutors

A lot of fire departments are volunteer and will pay for you to get an EMT cert.
You get a lot of experience in patient care, etc.
A lot that you can talk about that a lot of applicants can’t